Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

stem options for fx3

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

stem options for fx3

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-21, 04:24 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
stem options for fx3

I 'm planning on getting a new stem for my fx3, however trek website only has a maximum 17 degree rise stem..

1. what is the max rise I can get a stem?
2. what is the length ranges I can get for this stem?
3. what is the good manufacturer for that has stems as described in 1 and 2?

**VERY IMPORTANT* I am not interested in adjustable stems for the long term

Last edited by Awesomeguy; 01-12-21 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-12-21, 05:46 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Stems are pretty much universal fit items. You do NOT have to buy a 'Trek ' stem for your Trek bike. First you find out what the steerer diameter is. It's probably 1 1/8". Then you find out what the clamp diameter is. Probably 31.8mm. Now you go to Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/b/1-1-8-in-Stee...27/bn_77178784
And you scroll through 16,000 listings of stems.

In any event, if you are looking for a tall rise stem, there is the FSA Metropolis:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7kUAA...cZ/s-l1600.jpg
Very useful for when you don't have a whole lot of steerer tube sticking out but you want a tall stem. I have this stem on my son's bike.
Old 01-12-21, 09:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would ask your local fitter, they will be able to help dial in your fit and find the right stem for you. Plenty of great manufacturers out there but they can really dial you in to what you need.

You can get stems that are super tall and long and short and whatever angles pretty much you could desire but really figuring that out along with where your saddle should be positioned and how high you seatpost should be and all that fun stuff is best done with a fitter. They will really be able to help you the best. This is a good short primer on stems from someone who knows their stems: Stems - Soulcraft Cycles
Old 01-13-21, 06:10 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
A good stem doesn't need to be overly expensive, I've bought several new in the $25-$35 range. Craigslist typically has them for much less.

When you sit on your bike figure out where you want to move your hands and arms to then look for stems that get you there.
Old 01-13-21, 09:47 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Stems go from 0 to 30 degree angles. You can also find some adjustable stems that go farther.

Lengths go from about 50mm to 170mm - longer than 140 is tough to find, but they are made.

Generally, stems with greater angles come in more standard lengths, i.e. 90-110 - though I do own a 17-degree-, 150mm stem.