Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgrading 2021 Emonda Sl5 Disc

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-06-21, 09:15 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering what you guys would do to upgrade the Emonda Sl5 Disc to improve ride quality? Or aesthetic changes? I'm located in the US, are there any good wheel upgrade recommendations that cost less than $600? Or is it not worth it?

Last edited by Alphonsus; 01-06-21 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-06-21, 10:45 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Improve ride quality? Lower your tire pressure, that's the only thing you can do. Wheels that are an 'upgrade' for less than $600.00? Good luck w/ that. Aesthetics? That's totally up to you.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-06-21, 10:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Best thing to do is buy the bike you want with the parts you want on it or buy a frame and build it up yourself. Upgrading a bike aside from touch points (or to match your fitters recommendations) can be a bit silly. You aren't saving yourself money if you already want to swap major components. Probably not a lot of good wheel upgrades for cheap most upgrades are not in the cheap category as they are upgrades.

If you are really desperate for that bike and really need to spend more money on that particular bike and no other will do you could swap tires and of course touch points if needed as those can be cheaper changes. However if the bike is rolling roll it and replace when more needed. Then again I am the type to build the bike from the frame up so upgrades aren't so needed as I build generally what I want rather than what someone else decided would be good for a large swath of people.

On a side note the hydraulic STI levers are good in that manufactures aren't very likely to use cheaper house brand brakes to save a few bucks on their end. You buy 105 it has 105 calipers, kinda nice.
Old 01-06-21, 11:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Better tires but I wouldn't bother till the current ones need it since they're still a good quality. Wheels would be easy to get much better, just add a one before your desired price range. For 1500 range you can get better hubs, lighter rims and have a nicer wheelset, but you'll struggle to find a wheelset below the 1200 msrp range that isn't only a marginal improvement. As to esthetics, if its that dark red/burgundy color perhaps some orange to brighten things up. My wife's cross bike is a similar looking color though with more of a neon red/orange decaling. So her bike has gotten orange king hubs, bottle cage, pedals, and housing. I'd like to upgrade her to hydraulic brakes and toss a pair of hope calipers on there but can't find a good price on a set of shifters. Tape I went with red Zipp cx tape. Gives the bike a fun color blend that people notice.
Old 01-07-21, 07:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Why would anyone buy a brand new bike if they're not happy with the components (aside from some obvious personal items like the saddle)?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-07-21, 10:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphonsus
Just wondering what you guys would do to upgrade the Emonda Sl5 Disc to improve ride quality? Or aesthetic changes? I'm located in the US, are there any good wheel upgrade recommendations that cost less than $600? Or is it not worth it?
If the Emonda’s Affinity wheelset is the same one which is detailed here, on the Pro’s Closet website, weighing in at 2160g, then you definitely have some room to work with there within budget.

Now, they may not be the same, but This Emonda ALR5 review lists its Affinity wheels as in the “2k gram range,” so we’re probably in the ballpark, anyway.

A lighter wheelset is usually considered to improve ride quality because they have a livlier, more responsive feel to accelerations

Take a look at Spinergy’s offerings...

The $600 GX does two things with regard to ride quality: at 1495g it shaves a pound off your bike weight, and at 3mm wider internally than the Affinitys, the added volume could add comfort by allowing you to run lower pressure. Additionally, their PBO fiber spokes are said to damp vibration better than conventional spokes, so you’re improving ride quality through comfort there, too.

Spinergy also have the $600 GX32, which is an aero-section rim 32mm deep. It’s a narrower rim at 18mm internal, but you still shave half a pound in wheelset weight compared to the Bontragers, and get the PBO ride quality improvement.

Between those two, it kind of comes down to what size tire you want to run, but if you’re in the size range for the GX, that ticks all the ride quality improvement boxes you can get from wheels. Check the details on the Spinergy site: https://www.spinergy.com/store/categ...le/type/gravel

There are other wheels which will save you weight in the $600 range, like the Easton EA70 SL Disc and EA70 AX Disc, both in the 1.7kg range and distinguished by rim width, so again, which is best depends on which tire width you want to run. If you want a 30c+ tire, you can snag the AXs here for $510: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...heelset?sg=500
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-07-21, 10:51 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Get a professional fit.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-07-21, 12:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Why would anyone buy a brand new bike if they're not happy with the components (aside from some obvious personal items like the saddle)?
Might as well ask why bike component and wheel makers exist -- do you think these markets exist only for the sake of replacing broken bits?

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Best thing to do is buy the bike you want with the parts you want on it or buy a frame and build it up yourself. Upgrading a bike aside from touch points (or to match your fitters recommendations) can be a bit silly. You aren't saving yourself money if you already want to swap major components. Probably not a lot of good wheel upgrades for cheap most upgrades are not in the cheap category as they are upgrades.
Not at all necessarily true.
1. For some reason, Trek doesn't list the 2021 Emonda SL frameset as a standalone option, so there's that.
2. Going up in model trim levels, generally means that the manufacturer changes more than just the one or two things.. So if you have an interest in minimal changes to stock configuration, it does indeed make sense to upgrade parts (and sell the 'old'). Easy example, OP could upgrade his $2600 bike to Di2 for $1200, and sell some of parts removed (105 shifters and such). Total net cost of ~$3600. Buying the bike already with the 'parts you want' (ie. electronic shifting) means buying the SL7 for $5,500 (of course also getting other upgraded bits you weren't looking for).

For the OP, the stock wheelset is about 1750 grams; Yes, you might be able to get a better and lighter wheelset for $600 or less. Other options for 'upgrades' might be instead better tires than the stock R1s, or an ergo/aero handlebar, etc.
Old 01-07-21, 02:29 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Might as well ask why bike component and wheel makers exist -- do you think these markets exist only for the sake of replacing broken bits?

Not at all necessarily true.
1. For some reason, Trek doesn't list the 2021 Emonda SL frameset as a standalone option, so there's that.
2. Going up in model trim levels, generally means that the manufacturer changes more than just the one or two things.. So if you have an interest in minimal changes to stock configuration, it does indeed make sense to upgrade parts (and sell the 'old'). Easy example, OP could upgrade his $2600 bike to Di2 for $1200, and sell some of parts removed (105 shifters and such). Total net cost of ~$3600. Buying the bike already with the 'parts you want' (ie. electronic shifting) means buying the SL7 for $5,500 (of course also getting other upgraded bits you weren't looking for).

For the OP, the stock wheelset is about 1750 grams; Yes, you might be able to get a better and lighter wheelset for $600 or less. Other options for 'upgrades' might be instead better tires than the stock R1s, or an ergo/aero handlebar, etc.
Well, sure, I understand that some people do significant upgrades on new bikes...I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it. I'd rather just buy a better bike up front and be done with it.

In your example, I would hardly call it a "minimal change" to swap in an entirely different groupset. And why bother, since you'd then have a bike with a great groupset (Di2) and cheapie wheels.

But that's just me.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-07-21, 04:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Well, sure, I understand that some people do significant upgrades on new bikes...I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it. I'd rather just buy a better bike up front and be done with it.

In your example, I would hardly call it a "minimal change" to swap in an entirely different groupset. And why bother, since you'd then have a bike with a great groupset (Di2) and cheapie wheels.

But that's just me.
Ultegra Di2 is Shimano's lowest tier offering for electronic shifting. By minimal change, I really was trying to get at "single aspect". Thought of this way, Di2 is an upgrade of the stock 105. Another example, if you want a cool looking integrated aero stem/bar CF combo, what model Emonda would you have had to buy to get this, at what dollar cost?

The point is, there's not necessarily a lot of cost disadvantage to piecemeal bettering one's existing bike (over time if you want), versus buying a pre-configured model. And, you get what you want when you decide you want or need it, vs settling for what the bike manufacturer installs.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-07-21, 04:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
New tires. The stock ones are wire bead 60tpi place holders. Otherwise, seems like a nice bike, congrats!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-13-21, 03:24 PM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
you paid 12 grand for a bike and it still needs and upgrade ,
Old 01-13-21, 04:46 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
Good god, you're just wrong.
Old 01-13-21, 08:50 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The tires on that bike are pigs so like others that have already recommended it, I say change them out to something lighter. I know it won't make the bike look any better or even ride better but have you thought about a bike computer? Something like a Garmin or Wahoo to help record your metrics. I have never met a person who has regretted purchasing one. Saddles are a personal choice, what works for one person may not work for another but the new 3D printed saddles from Fizik look pretty interesting and have good reviews. If you are unhappy with your saddle that would be an upgrade I would look into. Another upgrade could be pedals and shoes. Dura Ace SPD-SL with a light pair of carbon sole shoes would be another option if you don't have those already.

Again won't make you faster but front and rear lights for the shorter days we have right now is another option. For comfort you could look at new bibs, something from Assos and new jersey to match. New cycling gloves might be something else. The list is endless of the things you can buy for your bike and stay within budget. If you were thinking of wheels I wouldn't go that route unless you have more money to spend or you look at used.

Enjoy your bike.
Old 01-13-21, 09:08 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
You seriously can't be that ignorant...it's a $2700.00 bike. Talk about a head scratcher...
$2700 Trek Emonda SL5 Disc
Old 01-13-21, 10:12 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Good god, you're just wrong.
It's winter; it's General Cycling; it's teh Biek Forms.

Why bother?
Likes For badger1: