Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

SPD-SL pedals with extended 4mm axel?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 01-13-21, 03:22 PM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I have a new Specialized Roubaix with Ultegra groupset. I have always ridden a Roubaix with Ultegra GS and normal axel length pedals (no spacers) but I noticed the new ones I received are with the extended 4mm axel (both sides). I realize the benefits of this for people with wider hips or considerable pronation but that does not apply to me (senior rider 5'11, 160 lbs with small/medium frame). Before I decide if I need to send these back in favor of the normal axel length I would like to hear any comments about this wider axel and whether it would still benefit me or more importantly possible disadvantages of using them based on my size. Thanks.
Old 01-14-21, 10:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
I don't know what it might mean, but probably those were what the bike shop had in stock when they assembled the bike. I'd be skeptical of changing up my "Q" just for random reasons like that. So I'd be asking them to exchange them for pedals with normal length axles. Especially if you cycle a fair amount of miles every week.

But certainly I'd also be interested to hear what others think about it.

Your pedals are from the PD-R8000 or PD-6800 series? Pedals being a separate purchase from bikes normally, were these a special deal or something?

Last edited by Iride01; 01-14-21 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-14-21, 04:38 PM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't know what it might mean, but probably those were what the bike shop had in stock when they assembled the bike. I'd be skeptical of changing up my "Q" just for random reasons like that. So I'd be asking them to exchange them for pedals with normal length axles. Especially if you cycle a fair amount of miles every week.

But certainly I'd also be interested to hear what others think about it.

Your pedals are from the PD-R8000 or PD-6800 series? Pedals being a separate purchase from bikes normally, were these a special deal or something?
My older pedals are 6800. I got the new ones off Amazon but did not pay attention they were the longer axel. I have not installed the new ones yet so I think I can return them and get the normal length ones. If I want to try a little wider position I can always use a few washers that will probably get me about 2mm on each side. I have also read something about the 8000 series having a little lower stack height???
Old 01-24-21, 10:12 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I use 25mm pedal extenders with my platform pedals. As mentioned above pronation can be a real issue. Being a Clyde with size 14 feet this leads to frame strikes with my heels. For a person without pronation issues I don't see an upside to pushing your feet out further. One of the downsides of extended pedals is you start limiting your pedal/lean angle. So pedal strikes happen at less lean angles. If you are racing this could be an issue. I rode and raced earlier in my life without extenders and didn't know of their benefits. Since finding pedal extenders 7 years ago my bicycling experience has improved because of them. My legs feel better and I don't have any joint issues as I duck pedal down the road. I also gave up SPD's partly because of pronation.