Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Handlebar tape

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 10:23 AM
bbsupersport

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Firenze, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Rocky Mountain Whistler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and tips so far. It's great to hear other's experiences!
Old 01-11-21, 10:39 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
If you want some cushion you could wrap half an innertube under your bar tape
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-11-21, 10:46 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,498 Posts
new tape on the block!

Italian made perforated for comfort.found a new type on Amazon & giving it a tryout-VERY reflective material;

https://www.amazon.com/BTP-Handlebar...0383406&sr=8-4
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 01-11-21, 12:50 PM
bbsupersport

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Firenze, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Rocky Mountain Whistler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just talked to my LBS and they have Bontrager Perf Line Bar Tape in stock.
Has anyone used this tape, and if so, what is your opinion of it?
Thanks.
Old 01-11-21, 01:00 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Man, it's just bar tape. The only experience that matters is yours. Pick one and give it a go.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 01-11-21, 01:03 PM
bbsupersport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
Italian made perforated for comfort.found a new type on Amazon & giving it a tryout-VERY reflective material;

https://www.amazon.com/BTP-Handlebar...0383406&sr=8-4
I'm located in Canada. That tape on Amazon.ca is selling for $114.44 CDN. Yikes!!!
Old 01-11-21, 01:09 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by bbsupersport
I'm located in Canada. That tape on Amazon.ca is selling for $114.44 CDN. Yikes!!!
Overpriced, IMO.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-11-21, 01:12 PM
bbsupersport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Man, it's just bar tape. The only experience that matters is yours. Pick one and give it a go.
I get your point. However, having no previous experience, I figured this was a good place to ask what other, more experienced riders, liked and didn't like. Which might minimize the chance of throwing away $100 or so.
Likes For bbsupersport:
Old 01-11-21, 04:14 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Thanks.
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Yep, grab a couple different kinds. If this is your first time wrapping it's good to have a spare or two. I have a dedicated frame on my trainer that stays there all year round. I change out the tape on it as practice for the outside bike. Once you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Like gripping a skateboard in my experience.

Don't tell the old farts on here but I also reverse wrap my tape that way I don't have to worry about having a gnarl of ugly black electrical tape on the tops. Been doing it that way for years now and never had any problems. Back in the olden days they didn't have the nice stretchy strong tape that we have now so all the grandpas flap their gums about it coming unraveled if you do it this way. It's one of those cycling urban legend things that gets passed around all the time. Mostly people who say it happens have never actually tried it...they just repeat the same lie they've heard since they were drilling holes in their SunRace cranks for "lightness". Or if they did experience the issue, it was because they suck at wrapping bar tape and don't know how to do it correctly.

Go forth, spend a few bucks and get to wrapping.
Old 01-12-21, 07:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Yep, grab a couple different kinds. If this is your first time wrapping it's good to have a spare or two. I have a dedicated frame on my trainer that stays there all year round. I change out the tape on it as practice for the outside bike. Once you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Like gripping a skateboard in my experience.

Don't tell the old farts on here but I also reverse wrap my tape that way I don't have to worry about having a gnarl of ugly black electrical tape on the tops. Been doing it that way for years now and never had any problems. Back in the olden days they didn't have the nice stretchy strong tape that we have now so all the grandpas flap their gums about it coming unraveled if you do it this way. It's one of those cycling urban legend things that gets passed around all the time. Mostly people who say it happens have never actually tried it...they just repeat the same lie they've heard since they were drilling holes in their SunRace cranks for "lightness". Or if they did experience the issue, it was because they suck at wrapping bar tape and don't know how to do it correctly.

Go forth, spend a few bucks and get to wrapping.
I just may try reverse wrapping the next time I need to. This looks as good as any instructional video, and have to say, it does look pretty clean.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-12-21, 08:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Hi, I'm swapping out my handlebars and in need of handlebar tape recommendations.
I'm fairly new to cycling ( even though I'm in the 50+ category ) and this will be my first attempt at taping a set (two sets) of handlebars. Looking for tape that has some cushioning for added comfort.
Concerned mainly with quality over price, but still looking for the best value for my money.

Thanks in advance.
If you are really concerned with comfort, buy 3mm thick or thicker tape. Bar tape is quite simple- thicker tape has more cushion than thinner tape.
Ritchey Pave 3.0
Cannondale Synapse 3.0
Soma Thick and Zesty 2.5
Wolftooth Supple 5.0
Fizik Tempo 3.0
Bontrager Double Gel 3.0

These are some options. If you are paying over $30 for bar tape, you need to step back and look at why to make sure its a good decision. You can get long lasting and comfortable feeling tape for relatively cheap prices.

Also, get some gel inserts to place on the bars under the tape if you want more cushion. It bulks the bars up too.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-12-21, 11:54 AM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
I get your point. However, having no previous experience, I figured this was a good place to ask what other, more experienced riders, liked and didn't like. Which might minimize the chance of throwing away $100 or so.
$100 is like 6 pairs of rolls for me, but I like garden variety Cinelli cork. Most of my cushioning is in the tires. Too much in the bars feels spongy.

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Don't tell the old farts on here but I also reverse wrap my tape that way I don't have to worry about having a gnarl of ugly black electrical tape on the tops. Been doing it that way for years now and never had any problems. Back in the olden days they didn't have the nice stretchy strong tape that we have now so all the grandpas flap their gums about it coming unraveled if you do it this way.
Grandpas would actually be singing the merits of Tresso and shellac. That ain't ever coming unraveled.
Old 01-13-21, 05:15 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks.
I have that on my Domane. It was showing some wear after 2500 miles so I replaced it. Comfortable and looks good.
Likes For Gundo:
Old 01-13-21, 06:32 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I've never done bar tape before either, MTB's never really needed it. So this might be a dumb question, but how long a roll does it take to do a complete drop bar?
Old 01-16-21, 06:13 PM
shopco43

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I wasn't going to add my two cents because really, who cares. But you might want to try "Domain Extra Long". I got my first roll through Walmart (online), then started ordering it directly from DomainCycling.com. It is reasonably inexpensive at $25, but if you are inexperienced that extra length is great. I also recommend getting some type of cushioned stuff that goes under the tape, that way you can change tape without worrying about it.
Old 01-17-21, 05:45 AM
richardalan1975

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have considered this, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-21, 01:33 PM
2WheelsNYC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
I've used some Easton Pinline Logo Bar Tape. No texture to it, just a foam feel to it but comfortable. It's cheap but light colored tape show dirt much more easily. It's lasted about 15k miles, so not bad at all.
Old 01-17-21, 03:48 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by 2WheelsNYC
I've used some Easton Pinline Logo Bar Tape. No texture to it, just a foam feel to it but comfortable. It's cheap but light colored tape show dirt much more easily. It's lasted about 15k miles, so not bad at all.
You've had the same tape for 15,000 miles?!? That's gross. Change that **** and make sure your bars aren't corroding. It probably also smells like a goat. If you ride regularly I'd change it every 3-6 months at most. It's $20.00 and you can learn how to do it yourself by watching a couple YT videos.
Old 01-18-21, 12:27 AM
2WheelsNYC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
I'd upload a pic when I'm allowed but I am changing it because the hoods need replacing too. It's only been on for a year and half. I wear gloves too, so that's helped with the longevity I guess.
Old 01-18-21, 12:51 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
If you want to protect your self from road vibration, I highly recommend Fizik's gel inserts. They're considerably better than other brands in shape, gel density, tackiness and size.

I don't think tape brand matters as much as just deciding what type of tape you prefer. I buy lots of $15-18 rolls of various materials on Amazon, only one was unsatisfactory and all of the others were good to excellent. I'm assuming you wear gloves.

Look at the Fizik gel inserts. Game changers.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 01-18-21, 11:13 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Bar tape is basically just foam.

Yes there is some subtlety in the different options but honestly, it's all pretty much the same.

Sure, if you use old school fabric tape and shellac it, it's not going to be soft. If you $3 rolls off eBay, it's going to pack down and roll at the edges pretty quickly.

Decent quality tape, in the $16 to $50 range comes down to what you want your bike to look like. It all feels the same, but what do you want it to scream at you and others?

For big hands, consider using two rolls per side.

For small hands, avoid the extra thick tapes.

No matter how hard any of us try, bikes are dirty, and eventually, so are your hands. Choose your colors wisely.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-18-21, 01:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Weird. I find 2mm Fizik Tempo Classic tape to be plenty comfy and I also wear gloves with zero padding, and because I'm a big guy I pump my tires up to at least 85 for the 28s and 90 for the 25s, and I don't have problems. I guess I'm just an insensitive b******..

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-18-21, 01:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
One thing to be aware of, which I learned from my brother the Industrial Engineer who specialized in Ergonomics and Human Factors - padding things too much can lead you to grip more tightly than you would with lighter padding, which can actually exacerbate the problem.

Not saying anyone's doing that, but it's something to be aware of. I personally have not found any gel-padded gloves which don't make my fingers go numb or my palms hurt, which is why I wear unpadded gloves.

But it's very much an individual thing! Like saddles, or shoes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-24-21, 08:57 AM
bugello

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the brand Lizzard skin
Old 01-24-21, 09:44 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I have used several of the less costly foam tapes: SRAM, MSW, Salsa and Cinelli. Overall I prefer using Cinelli and that’s what I’m running now.

I use touring bars with grips and need about half a roll per side to tape the bar forward of the grips to the center.

Cinelli seems to be a bit thicker and seems just right for me, but watch out for overlap and the strong adhesive: put the adhesive on the bar, not the tape. Salsa tape handles well and is easy to rewrap but Cinelli feels better on my bars.

Otto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.