Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Need parts advice for Nashbar touring bike build

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 10:42 PM
bootchop

Bikes: 82' Raleigh Grand Prix / Peugeot UE-8 / Nashzon Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So im building up an Nashbar touring frame and fork set, it very similar to the surly LHT. Im looking for a decent tripple crankset and matching quality 8-9 speed rear derailure. My budget is about $120 for both items. Any reccomendations?
Old 10-11-20, 09:14 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
if you're cloning an LHT onto a nashbar frame,
why not just use whatever gear components
the LHT uses that are proven to work well
together.....
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 10-11-20, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by bootchop
So im building up an Nashbar touring frame and fork set, it very similar to the surly LHT. Im looking for a decent tripple crankset and matching quality 8-9 speed rear derailure. My budget is about $120 for both items. Any reccomendations?
I’d look at Fleabay. Look for an external bearing bottom bracket. Easier to install and work on. For the derailer, just about anything Shimano works as long as it’s not mountain 10 speed...aka Dynasys.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-11-20, 12:35 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Just curious, but is this an old dark-green-colored Nashbar Touring frame and fork combo? I would not consider it the equivalent of the LHT and would not load it up as much as some folks do with their LHT for epic multi-week/multi-month tours.

That said, I like mine for lightweight trips, typically 3-5 days and using hotels/hostels for overnighting. I built it up on a budget, and it was originally a personal 'bucket-list' project to assemble a bicycle from a bare frame/forkset. For the crank I used a square-taper BB with a FS Vero 50/34 crankset. Not as low as more robust touring bikes, but works for me. Headset is a Cane Creek 40 - good, solid, and reliable. RD and FD are Shimano LT's I already had in my parts bin. Wheels are Vuelta HDs that have held up quite well for their price. If I was to change anything it would be the wheels as they are steel/low-quality stainless and do build up some rust if you're not careful about cleaning them or ride in wet conditions a lot (I don't). I'm happy with it.
Old 10-11-20, 05:57 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Some communities have a bike coop or bike charity that sell used parts. The cranksets I have seen in the local charity are ones that I would not buy, the chainrings are often quite worn. But they often have a bin of rear derailleurs, sometimes you find a good one.

I have bought stems, handlebars, seatposts, etc., from a local bike charity.

This year bike stuff has been in such high demand that a lot of the sources I have generally gone to or recommended are out of stock.
Old 10-12-20, 06:31 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
do you know what range of chain rings you want?
Old 10-12-20, 06:49 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Shimano RD-M592 9 Speed. Will cope with a cassette up to 40T rear, even with a 20-30-40 front crank, so can deal with 49 teeth total.

Still a fan of square taper or Octalink cranks, because they are cheap. But like DJB says, you need to figure out what gear range you want. There are a couple of shimano Altus grade ones that are very good bang for your buck. If you want super wide range, a sunrace 11-40T rear and a shimano 22-30-40 will give you a touch over 700% and cover everything from cruising on the flats to riding up a wall.. Get a Shimano side swing derailleur, they work well with large rear cassettes,because the cage doesn't move vertically, so they're easier to tweak with a chain path that changes a lot from the smallest sprocket to the largest.
Old 10-13-20, 10:05 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I would also recommend Deore RD-M592 series. I got a M592 rear derailleur off FleaBay for $34 and shifts my 34T cassette great using Road STI shifters. The M592 crankset would be a good call if you can find one. You could go with SHIMANO M361 (or similar) crankset for the time being.

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Shimano RD-M592 9 Speed. Will cope with a cassette up to 40T rear, even with a 20-30-40 front crank, so can deal with 49 teeth total.

Still a fan of square taper or Octalink cranks, because they are cheap. But like DJB says, you need to figure out what gear range you want. There are a couple of shimano Altus grade ones that are very good bang for your buck. If you want super wide range, a sunrace 11-40T rear and a shimano 22-30-40 will give you a touch over 700% and cover everything from cruising on the flats to riding up a wall.. Get a Shimano side swing derailleur, they work well with large rear cassettes,because the cage doesn't move vertically, so they're easier to tweak with a chain path that changes a lot from the smallest sprocket to the largest.
Old 10-16-20, 10:52 PM
bootchop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the help. Im trying to now figure out what gear range i want. Im leaning towards a wide range of gears, hills and big hills.
Old 10-17-20, 08:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Thanks for all the help. Im trying to now figure out what gear range i want. Im leaning towards a wide range of gears, hills and big hills.
You are correct, for touring you want a wide range of gears, wider than for most other bicycling activities. And a lot will depend on how much weight you carry, more weight means a lower first gear.

I have three touring bikes, my first gear on them are 16.2, 19.3 and 20.7 gear inches. My bike with the lowest gear of 16.2 gear inches, that is equivalent to a cadence of 72 with a speed of 3.5 mph for the steeper hills using a 26 X 2.25 inch tire.

And it is nice to have gears that are high enough that you do not run out of gears on shallow downhills. On one of my bikes my highest gear is 85 gear inches, but I wish it was higher, up around 105 gear inches would be nice.

If you are not familiar with gear inches,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_inches
Old 01-11-21, 11:20 PM
bootchop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well thanks to all the help im on my way to having a running cycle, almost. Im having a little indiscision about what front derailleur to get. I have a tripple front crank set , shimano 42 32 22 M361. Cassette is a SunRace 8spd 11-34. My cable comes up from the underside of my bottom bracket, so i think i need a down pull derailleur. What would be a good derailleur for my needs?
Old 01-11-21, 11:37 PM
robow

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
yep, you need a down pull FD. What shifters are you using ?
Old 01-11-21, 11:46 PM
bootchop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im using Sun Race SL96 bar end shifters.
Old 01-12-21, 10:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Well thanks to all the help im on my way to having a running cycle, almost. Im having a little indiscision about what front derailleur to get. I have a tripple front crank set , shimano 42 32 22 M361. Cassette is a SunRace 8spd 11-34. My cable comes up from the underside of my bottom bracket, so i think i need a down pull derailleur. What would be a good derailleur for my needs?
It’s called a “bottom pull” derailer but, yes, that’s the one you need. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a road derailer that wasn’t bottom pull. Top pull is a mountain bike thing. I’d go with Shimano Tiagra, Sora, or Claris (descending order of cost) or even a Microshift R8 or R9.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-12-21, 11:55 PM
bootchop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got it thanks. This is the first bike I have had to select every part.

Last edited by bootchop; 01-12-21 at 11:58 PM. Reason: adding more text
Old 01-16-21, 03:32 PM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Nice. You certainly have covered the low range but about that high.... Your going to run out of gear mighty quick. Once you get all that mass moving on a long flat your going to want a higher gear to keep it moving with a relaxed cadence. With a little downhill slope or a tail wind it's nice to take advantage of a chance to fly.
I've seen the occasional deal on ebay for some nice dx or lx front and rear derailleurs that have never given me a bit of trouble.

Last edited by Cycle Tourist; 01-18-21 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-16-21, 09:22 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'd recommend Deore 9-speed. The road adn mountain groups are interchangable so you can putt on a 36 tooth cassette for low gears. Sora also is a consideration in 9 speed.
Old 01-18-21, 09:53 AM
robow

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a road derailer that wasn’t bottom pull. Top pull is a mountain bike thing.
One of my road/cycle cross bikes is set up with a top or upward pull Shimano CX70 front derailleur while running 2x10 Ultegra brifters and a 46x30 crankset.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-CX70-F-T.html
Old 01-20-21, 12:33 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Recommendation for RD: Microshift M46.

I have never run Sunrace barcons, but for me changing Deore M591 to Microshift M46 made a huge improvement with Sora 3500 brifters. Almost 2,000 miles on it, set and forget. Some other people had the same problem with 591/592 not shifting perfectly:https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...mendation.html and some other threads. Also, M46 should work with a 36t cassette if you ever want to run it.

FD: if you can run the front shifter in the friction mode you can easily trim it. You can use some Shimano FD specced 10t top-middle difference and 20 capacity (IIRD M310, M360 and similar ones) or Microshift or ever Sunrace.
Old 01-28-21, 09:22 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Sounds like maybe you got a crankset already, but if not, I have an XTR triple crank with 46-34-24 9/10 speed rings. $70. Takes Octalink BB. Details at https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...37122748138004