Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice desired on purchase of used bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice desired on purchase of used bike

Old 12-03-20, 01:31 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Just to give you an idea of my research...

In 2014 I bought a 2001Trek 8000 for my wife off of eBay; I had been looking at bikes for a while. I went through each pic and it had black chainrings and the paint was intact, there were no scuffs on the fork blades, no marks on the RD, paint looked great and no evidence of a dropped chain. The tires still had the nubs on them.

I went to the vintage Trek site and pulled up their catalog and tech manual and compared specs to what I saw, as well as possible. Everything matched. Bike arrived as a basically unridden 13 year bike.

It may not always work out that well, but if someone says the bike has hardly been used and components don’t match, or something doesn’t look right, I pass regardless of the “deal”. Of course, if there were significant upgrades and everything else looks fine, that’s a different story.

I’m guessing it is more than what most people would do, but I’ve done the same thing with my other hobbies and it works out more often than not.

John
Old 12-03-20, 08:54 PM
Parrotthead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Until I get more post counts I can only post 5 times a day and cannot PM, but that's cool and I'll have the post count soon enough. Just don't want folks to think I'm ignoring them.
I live in Oklahoma City and my budget is about $160.
BikePedia is awesome.

Based on the advice ya'll have so generously given me I'm looking for a Hybrid or MTB with a 21 inch frame with 26 or larger tires.

Have found a couple of Diamondbacks, an Outlook and a Edgewood LX that fit the bill. The LX is the Hybrid and interest me more but the seller said it was "ride ready" when you could see the tires were flat. Asked him to air it up and found the front tire won't hold air though he said they were "like new". The bike looks to be in good shape, it just set in the corner of the garage for too long. I have not seen it in person, told him I would have to ride it to be sure everything worked. Dusty but no rust is visible. If and when he gets it going I will check it out but if tires are dry rotter it would be a deal breaker as that would add too much to the cost. He wants $150 for it.

The Outlook is at $130.00 and I rode it around. It seems to fit me, maybe even need to drop the seat a bit. The rear sprockets shifted great, the front I had to hunt a bit with to get to work but it functioned. It is not a Hybrid, but the only thing I see different is the hybrid has taller handle bars.

Last edited by Parrotthead; 12-03-20 at 08:58 PM. Reason: General info
Old 12-03-20, 10:40 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I didn't see your two Diamondbacks, but the outlook sounds better.

I looked on CL and the only one that stood out was this Specialized Sportrock for $125. It's not the best bike in terms of quality, but it looks like a good rideable bike.
https://tulsa.craigslist.org/bik/d/t...237334261.html
Likes For katsup:
Old 12-04-20, 07:21 PM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Stopped by Al Bicycles today and looked at some new ones. They have a brand called "Batch" that has some interesting bikes that seem to offer what I am looking for. They have only been carrying them for a few months but they come with a lifetime warranty on the frame and everything else is the common brands for gearing and such. One nice thing is if I buy new there I get free yearly tuneups. I drove one around a bit and it shifted very nicely. They can put an adapter on the handlebars to bring it up and back a bit. I have a wrist that really doesn't like to be leaned on for extended times.
Old 12-05-20, 10:49 PM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Have visited a few shops and have done some online researching.
I am looking at a used 2018 Giant Talon 29er 2 size Large tomorrow. It has road tires but I would prefer something knobbier and I will have to put an adapter on the bar to raise it up and bring it back to get myself more vertical.
I test rode some bikes and as I suspected, riding with my head forward and my shoulders down causes problems for my left wrist.

The bike is listed at $400.00 but I'm not having any luck finding it on BikePedia. Have found some older bikes of the same model and the price doesn't look bad.

Anyone care to share their insights?
Old 12-05-20, 11:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/talon-29er-1-2018#:~:text=Share%20%20%20Sizes%20%20%20S%2C%20M%2C,780mm%20x%2031.8mm%20%209%20more%20rows%20

That is a whole lot of off-road capacity for the kind of riding you describe. You could get a steeper stem and riser bars or very swept bars .... but that bike is designed to be ridden longish and lowish, and with 100 mm of travel it is designed to hit pretty big stuff pretty hard, not just smooth out small ripples in groomed trails.

here's a listing from OmertaBike -- https://omertabike.com/product/giant...-hardtail-mtb/
I checked out Batch and found three---
https://www.batchbicycles.com/produc...ycles/fitness/
https://www.batchbicycles.com/produc...les/lifestyle/
https://www.batchbicycles.com/products/bicycles/mtb/

Te Fitness model comes with 35-mm tires but I don't know how much clearance there is to go wider. If it would take wider tires, it looks like the best bet, if I understand your needs (which I may not at all.)

However, for the same money and about the same weight, the MTB version comes with much wider wheels and tires, and the Large size with 29s. These two offer a cartridge bottom bracket---the Lifestyle bike has cup-and-cone BB which while fine, is an older and less easily maintained design. Also, the MTB and Fitness models both seem to have triple chain rings, which the Lifestyle bike has a single, or only seven speeds. if you ever want to carry loads or climb steep hills, the extra gears might be handy.

The Lifestyle bike has fender and rack mounts .... not sure about the MTB, but it Looks like it might have rear rack mounts. Not sure if that matters to you but for me a utility bike Must have a rack. For instance, if you want to ride around the campground to take a shower, by some snacks, or do some laundry .... or bring a jacket and a snack on a long trail ride .... or a camera, or a beverage ...
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-06-20, 07:40 AM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Maelochs,

I seem to be like Dory in "Finding Nemo".....every bright, flashy object becomes my focus.....LOL....

One of the bike shops had a used Talon for sale. It was a medium. I like how the bike felt except for the forward position. The brakes were hydraulic and it shifted smooth. I asked the salesperson at the shop if it could be setup to match the riding position of a Cypress DX i had just ridden at the same shop that was a size large. He was confident that that it could be by changing how the bars were mounted to the stem and such. Your points are well taken.

The Batches did appeal to me and seem to be a simple, rugged bike. They are owned by the same company that makes Huffy. The reviews are good. One in depth review said the focus of this brand is to give bike shops something that can go toe to toe with the "Big Box" retailers. The construction is solid, and the components, while not top shelf, are solid as well. If you order online they will only ship it to a retailer in your area for the final assembly.
I cannot seem to paste a photo as you have, but here is the URL of the bike with the same color scheme as what I am looking at this afternoon. I could be off base but I think the models have different color schemes.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/talon-29er-2-ge-2018
Old 12-06-20, 09:59 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
There you go. Talon with an all terrain tire and a little riser on the bars. I see you boosted your price point...
Old 12-06-20, 04:35 PM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Well I got there and it was not a trimmed out as I thought. Front shifter was off a bit and the tires were pretty worn. By the time I put new tiers on it and all that it was going to be a bit much for that bike. A dealer has a nicer one, used, for about what I would have in this one. I'm getting price savvy...
Likes For Parrotthead:
Old 12-06-20, 08:07 PM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Well I purchased a bike this evening. I think it will be a good starter bike while I figure things out a bit.
I suspect in a couple of years there will be tons of bikes gathering dust that were purchased during the pandemic that folks will want to get rid of. Market will become a buyers market, not the sellers market there is today.

Anyway...

I got a Diamondback M3030 21 speed with front suspension. There is no "Outlook" or any other name on it and the M3030 designation comes from the SR Suntour forks....(which are under recall, I found out)
It's got pretty new knobby, 2.75 wide tires, a kickstand and it came with battery operated head and tail light, gel cushion seat (YAH!) and a review mirror that straps onto the end of the handle bar.
I will pick up an extension for the handlebars, any recommendations on the extension?

Paid $125.00...
Old 12-06-20, 08:39 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Time to start riding!
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 12-06-20, 10:30 PM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
Time to start riding!
I'll be hitting the park tomorrow!!
Old 12-07-20, 10:23 AM
twm182

Bikes: 89 Trek 660, 94 Rockhopper Grocery-Getter, No Name Carbon Franken[road]bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Don't hate on hybrids. Some people are very quick to write-off hybrids (generally rigid flat bar bikes) but I'd say they're the perfect bike for many people's needs, especially for riding around parks for recreation and light excercise!
Likes For twm182:
Old 12-07-20, 05:15 PM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My first choice was a hybrid but few used ones for sale. Had a deal working on on but the bike seemed to be suffering from neglect.

Anyway I spent some time this morning cleaning the bike. It is a 2016 Diamondback Outlook M3030. There are just a few blems on the paint where things have rubber up against it. Had it upside down and there serial numbers are there. Rims are straight and still some mold flashing on the tires. It cleaned up well.
What's a good spray one wax or whatever to use on a bike that works well?
Chain and sprockets all look great, no rust or indication of wear.

I took it out for a ride and did about five miles. The front derailer has an issue going to the smallest sprocket sometimes. I believe it is a Journey up front and a it is marked Altus on rear.
Dropped by a tire shop and put about 40 psi in the tires. I weigh about 195. Once the tires had better pressure it handled a bit easier, although it was never disappointing when low.

I rode it on both pavement and some maintained trails. Finally the ten year old in me took over and said, "Let's see if our patron saints are still on duty!!" Going to the bottom of a steep, wide grassy slope I shifted to the lowest gear and proceeded to let the ten year old have his fun.
Half way up the slop I started to pull a wheelie.....the ten year old bailed on me and left my 60+ year old persona to handle it. No problem, I just looked foolish for a bit...but had a grin on my face. I like this.

Anyway it seems to fit me well and works properly. I will be using it for grocery runs and exercise.
My legs have a pleasant burn...
Likes For Parrotthead:
Old 12-08-20, 07:10 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Parrotthead
What's a good spray one wax or whatever to use on a bike that works well?
I use Bike Wash (by Finish Line) for cleaning. If the bike is really dirty I take it outside and spray a small area of the bike at a time to soak it and loosen the grease and dirt. Then I wipe it off. If the bike is not too dirty I just spray the Bike Wash on a clean rag and wipe down the frame. I use Bike Lust (by Pedro's) for polishing and protecting. I use a clean rag to apply it then another clean rag to buff it out.
Old 12-08-20, 09:10 PM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Went to the park again today and spent more time riding the trails. They've got some good creek trails and pathways....some maintained and other aren't.
Installed a stem extender to get my posture a bit more vertical. Looking forward to tomorrow to see how it feels.
Likes For Parrotthead:
Old 01-13-21, 04:40 PM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Well this has gone very well so far.
The Diamondback bike seems to work well. I have added a set of springs beneath the seat to cushion my dairy air. I purchased a riser for the bar and also a pivot for it as well. This brought the bar up and back which gets me the vertical I need.

It shifts smoothly at the rear but the front has a problem going up from the smallest sprocket. I will take it into a bike shop for a tune up in February.

I purchased a Xsport Slipstream Dual Receiver rack that will fit the draw bar of my pickup. I am putting an adapter on my fifth wheel trailer so I can take it camping. The bike rack can hold as many as 4 bicycles but I doubt it will ever see two. Wife is not too keen on bikes.

The park I am riding at has some steep slopes so I have incorporated them into my ride. Going down is more thrilling than going up.....but I need the exercise of up more.
My rides are typically 8km in length but I did a 10 not problem. If I felt comfortable wearing headphones while riding I would stay out more....that's a sign of a lack of self discipline on my part.

Thanks for all the advice, it paid off. Now onto more adventures.
Likes For Parrotthead:
Old 01-13-21, 06:14 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Derriere, lol. Dairy air may be how it smells...Sounds like you got it covered.
Old 01-14-21, 04:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Okay .... somebody tell the guy about the picture rule.

if you don't post a picture of your new bike, we get to come to your house and claim it ..... since we might be about the same size, I might have to repossess your new ride ..... everyone has a phone which has a better camera than most pros were using 20 years ago ... so please, save me the trip out to your house and show us your new bike.
Old 01-14-21, 01:48 PM
Parrotthead

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Okay .... somebody tell the guy about the picture rule.

if you don't post a picture of your new bike, we get to come to your house and claim it ..... since we might be about the same size, I might have to repossess your new ride ..... everyone has a phone which has a better camera than most pros were using 20 years ago ... so please, save me the trip out to your house and show us your new bike.
Sounds fair...my screen name is a common Nom de Guerre for fans of the musician Jimmy Buffett.....and we all respect pirates!! So here ya go!.

Likes For Parrotthead: