Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Ultra Comfortable - Performance Saddle for Long Fitness Rides

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 10:23 PM
Limbatus

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire, Trek Domane, Ibis Ripley, Cannondale CAADX, Ibis Hakka, KickrBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking for an incredibly comfortable saddle for performance long distance fitness training. Whats a saddle that won't slow me down after 30-50 mi riding? I plan to ride using traditional padded bike shorts. Thanks
Old 12-02-20, 11:20 PM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
everyone will tell you it depends, no one saddle can be comfortable for everyone.

riding position and bike fit will make a big impact.
Likes For plowmanjoe:
Old 12-03-20, 01:17 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
There's too much variation in physique to give a general saddle recommendation. Your best bet is to buy from a store that allows free exchanges and has a decent range of shapes. Getting a bike fit can also help give you a good starting point, besides also making the entire bike more comfortable for you.

Also, spend as much as you can on the best shorts (aside: I'm bibs >> shorts) with the best chamois, because there is a noticeable improvement in materials to reduce chafing and multi-density foam to distribute weight without causing numbness with more expensive options. Doesn't mean cheaper options won't work for you, just that there's a better chance that the high-end ones will.
Likes For surak:
Old 12-03-20, 01:41 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
I have converted to ISM noseless saddles with zero regrets. PR 2.0 on my paved road bike, PR 3.0 on my rigid 29plus bike, which is for gravel roads and the occasional singletrack.

I don't use padded bike shorts anymore, as they are not needed. Compression boxers under some lightweight fishing/hiking shorts. My regular rides are in the low to high 40s (miles) and I frequently ride 55 or more on a good day.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 12-03-20, 05:41 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by plowmanjoe
everyone will tell you it depends, no one saddle can be comfortable for everyone.

riding position and bike fit will make a big impact.
True! Perhaps the OP can share some basic info about his/her bike and riding position. As your position on the bike becomes more agressive your saddle width will decrease, and just the opposite as your riding position becomes more upright. For example, on my touring bike the saddle width is 157mm, on my road bike the saddle width is 146mm. Gilles Berthoud saddles are on both bikes, and I can honestly say that in the case of the touring saddle the Aravis is the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. For 50, 100, and even 200 mile rides I experience no discomfort, no chaffing, no saddle sores. Regarding the Galibier road saddle, it's still too early to tell. The bike is still being built and I've only had the opportunity to test the saddle on an indoor trainer. However, if my experience is anywhere close to the Aravis, the Galibier will be an awesome road saddle.

Originally Posted by surak
There's too much variation in physique to give a general saddle recommendation. Your best bet is to buy from a store that allows free exchanges and has a decent range of shapes. Getting a bike fit can also help give you a good starting point, besides also making the entire bike more comfortable for you.

Also, spend as much as you can on the best shorts (aside: I'm bibs >> shorts) with the best chamois, because there is a noticeable improvement in materials to reduce chafing and multi-density foam to distribute weight without causing numbness with more expensive options. Doesn't mean cheaper options won't work for you, just that there's a better chance that the high-end ones will.
^ Good advice! However, good luck finding a LBS with a good selection of saddles and an easy-exchange program. You may have better luck finding an independent bike fitter with an array of test saddles. If so, you'll be able to try several saddles in a short period of time on an indoor trainer so you can narrow the field to one or two contendors. You'll also likely be able to borrow the "finalists" for a few days to ride on your own bike, and then you can make the purchase. This recommendation depends on the resources available in your area, which can be really "hit or miss" depending where you live.

As for riding shorts, this item can make just as much of an improvement as the saddle itself. Good shorts with a well-made, durable chamois are well worth the $$$. I use the Assos H.mille_s7 shorts and absolutely love them. Wait for a clearance sale if possible (for whatever brand you ultimately purchase), as I'm sure you're already aware of how expensive good cycling shorts can be. I picked up the Assos H.mille_s7 shorts about a year ago for $58 per pair. Good luck! I wish you the best in your quest for comfort.
Old 12-03-20, 09:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Doing long rides often will go further for making you comfortable with your saddle. Making an occasional long ride will leave you looking for that magical saddle.
Old 12-03-20, 10:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
As well as the saddle itself, the exact placement of the seat (height, fore and aft location and tilt (especially!) is very important. A big aid to getting those last two right is the 2-bolt seatpost. These have front and rear bolts in the clamp. Ride with the wrenches for your post and seat pin (and some tape so you can mark your settings before making changes). One can loosen the rear bolt, tweak the front (say 1/4 turn) then re-tighten the rear, Stop as needed to tweak the settings. See if you like it. If not you can go exactly back to where you started, half way, half again, etc. And you can do this out on the road with no fear of losing your basic reference. Nitto and Thompson make excellent 2-bolt posts.

I ride the Terry Fly. It is nearly the Selle Italia I raced and rode into my 40s until my body changed and the seat turned to torture. The Fly's cut out makes (for me) a huge difference and I get to ride the shape I love. BUt dialing them in is critical. (I am not promoting those seats. You have to find what works for you. I know a lot of people who love the leather Brooks. For me, those seats are torture or I have to give up riding my favorite positions.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-04-20, 07:29 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
What is wrong with the one you have now?
Old 12-04-20, 11:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
One really has to test a saddle to see if it's going to work. The test really starts at 3 hours saddle time. That's a dividing line between sorts works and 12 hours would be OK. My best find so far in 25 years of trying is: Selle Italia SLR Boost Endurance Superflow Saddle Black Size L3. Yeah, really expensive, but it works for me and I think would work for a wide variety of butts. The Selle Italia MAN saddle is also very popular, less expensive, and works for a lot of people. I used Terry saddles many years ago, but found that the foam broke down quickly, Maybe they're better now.

I assume the OP is male. Yes, IME padded shorts are the right thing, ALTHOUGH it's a very good idea to test possible saddles in nylon gym shorts. Padded shorts can hide flaws in fit that won't become obvious for too many hours, whereas one feels every little thing in thin nylon.
Old 12-06-20, 07:02 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
However, good luck finding a LBS with a good selection of saddles and an easy-exchange program.
+1 because bicycle shops have been unable to get saddles since April due to COVID-19 it is unlikely you will find a good selection anywhere. As for the easy exchange programs that some shops had in the past it is unlikely bicycle shops will be able to do this because there is no inventory of saddles to sell. Hopefully the supply side will improve going into 2021 and saddles, tires, tubes and other basic bicycle parts will become available again.