Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Suggestion for Post Feedback

Old 01-14-21, 07:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Suggestion for Post Feedback

We have a provision to "Like" posts, which is welcome and used often. It seems to me there should be some mechanism to register that a post is "Unhelpful." This is often available on sites that have reviews of products, for example. The feedback would stay with the specific post, not follow the poster. You would not have some members with ten gold stars and others with the steaming pile emoji. In other words, a member would not be "branded" even if they go through a spell of posting stupid. A fresh start with every post. A member was recently sanctioned for posting a pic that provided context for another member's post. Threads go sideways when members disagree. Lots of drama, enforcement subjectivity, etc, etc. A method of safely expressing disagreement would defuse and calm, IMO. The mods could concentrate on spammers. At the simplest, an "Unhelpful" button as counterpart to the "Like." More sophisticated would be a rating scale. I've been a member/stakeholder here for a long time. I've seen situations similar to what we have now unfold time and again. Maybe it would be worthwhile to try something different. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 01-14-21 at 08:16 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-14-21, 10:12 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
We had some very early ideas of other "Likes" abilities, similar to what Facebook has, but it would take a while to implement.

In what way do you mean a user was "sanctioned"?

We do encourage discussion and don't want to completely remove that. Especially when disagreement posts (should) lay out their reasons. It is on members to keep a cool head and fair assessment of others, for better or worse. We'd also have the concern of Grumpy Guses deciding to downvote everything when they get upset.
Old 01-14-21, 01:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Thank you for responding! So many of the discussions here involve opinions rather than facts. Everyone has the right to an opinion but all opinions don't carry the same credibility. Context is important. BF comes up readily when someone Googles a cycling question. Suppose a "Googler" is interested in setting up the contact points on their bike and finds some threads. Responders will range from folks with many years and thousands of miles on the bike to rank newbies. The "Googler" would benefit from having help sorting grain from chaff. I don't think the Grumpy Gus thing would be an issue. No posts would be voted out of a thread and I think most of us here are people of good will. Sometimes folks are provoked into an unfortunate response, a rating mechanism might serve as a safety valve. I'm going to PM you the details of the "sanction." I've tried to keep this as general as I can since our current situation isn't unique in the history of BF. Thanks again for considering this.
Old 01-15-21, 02:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I have seen other bike forums do this and it gets a bit ugly. Although the one time I got negative feedback it was pretty funny.
Old 01-18-21, 02:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Opinions are what promotes discussion. Sometimes things that might not be helpful to the OP might be helpful to others whether fact or opinion.

Not to mention I see a lot of facts posted as replies that aren't helpful even though they are fact.
Old 01-18-21, 03:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Agreed. All the more reason for some sort of peer rating of posts.
Old 01-18-21, 05:45 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 2,204 Times in 1,041 Posts
a simple "dislike" button would suffice.
yay, more clutter under posts! (insert eye roll here)
Old 01-18-21, 05:57 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
This is why we have forum guidelines to follow and mods to report posts to that do not follow forum guidelines.
Old 01-19-21, 01:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I see these thumbs up, thumbs down systems all the time (YouTube for example). Not sure how they're helpful to anyone when we don't know why the thumbs down was given.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-19-21, 03:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Well, doesn't seem to have been much interest so I guess this can be closed.
Likes For shelbyfv: