Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A conversation I had with my wife today

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 07:47 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts

Me, a few hours ago, staring out the window at the weather, thinking out loud: "Today's the Super Bowl."
She: "What's the Super Bowl?"
Me:
Me: "Football. American football."
She: "Oh, is that the one with Taylor Swift's boyfriend? You're going for a ride, aren't you?"
Old 02-11-24, 08:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...once I heard that Taylor had successfully arrived at the stadium, I completely lost interest. Did someone win ?
Old 02-11-24, 08:37 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
I watched today . . . The Millrose Games (indoor track meet) from NYC. New American indoor men's mile record: 3:47.01, new world record, indoor men's two mile (8:03), American record in the women'stwo mile: 9:05. The meet was yesterday (Saturday).
Old 02-11-24, 08:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Superbowl day is often ideal for a road bike ride. Very little traffic, with a statistical bias significantly skewed away from drivers who want to kill you.

My wife and I did a road ride, the first since her hip replacement six weeks ago. We had the mostly to ourselves, with a beautiful clear day and ocean view.

At nearly 4,250 meters (14,000 feet) above the Pacific Ocean, atop the extinct volcano Mauna Kea on the "Big Island" of Hawaii, the twin Keck telescopes are the world's largest optical instruments. The near-perfect ten-meter-diameter mirror of each of the Kecks is made up of an array of thirty-six individual, hexagonal segments, each positioned to within a millionth of an inch. Although the thin air above Mauna Kea is quite clear and stable, the small amount of atmospheric distortion remaining even at this high altitude is compensated for by a system called adaptive optics, which actively controls each mirror segment. The Hubble Telescope, by contrast, is superior to even the Keck telescope in that it is located in space and thus does not suffer from atmospheric interferences and aberrations that distort images, and can thus be considered the most powerful optical instrument. If you were somehow able to place one of the Keck telescopes inside of the Hubble Telescope, it is still rather unlikely that you could detect my slightest interest in the Superbowl.
Old 02-11-24, 10:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,574 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Superbowl day is often ideal for a road bike ride. Very little traffic, with a statistical bias significantly skewed away from drivers who want to kill you.
Maybe where you live. People ‘ round here are rushing around to get last minute supplies for the game.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-11-24, 10:37 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe where you live. People ‘ round here are rushing around to get last minute supplies for the game.
Traffic didn't seem lighter than usual during the game, at least the first half when I was outside doing some errands.

Fun fact: There was a myth back in the 1970s-1980s that the sewer systems were heavily impacted by the Super Bowl halftime game with people suddenly getting up en masse and 'doing their business' during halftime. I used to work for a sewer agency and we never saw any increase in flow in the sewer system on the flow monitoring equipment on Super Bowl Sunday during halftime.
Likes For skidder:
Old 02-11-24, 11:00 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Did people really not watch the game because one person was in attendance?
Old 02-11-24, 11:24 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Nobody cared that Taylor was in attendance. The celebrity boxes were stuffed full of just about every celebrity that had anything to do with anything. They showed her a couple of times celebrating at appropriate times but that was about it. On par with how that do with any cheering fan in the stands. Total screen time probably amounted to 10 seconds throughout. Way, way less than any celebrity at at a basketball game.

Mrs. Base2 and myself went to our local non-chain upscale dining establishment and got exceptional service as we were the only customers.

When we returned home we found that the game had about 5 minutes left & was about to finish. It was a legit nail-biter at the end, there. Sparing the details of the last 5 minutes, the game was tied 19-19 at the final. So, a round of overtime was played.

New rules this go-round. Up to 2 periods, game starts over with coin toss and winner chooses field direction and catch/kick (whatever.) Each team resets with 3 time outs. One team scores, other team gets to answer. That's it. No more game play. Most points then wins.

San Francisco scored with a 3 point field goal making it 22-19. KC then scored a touchdown ending the game right then & there at 22-25. Taylor's boyfriend's team won.

Last edited by base2; 02-11-24 at 11:53 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-12-24, 05:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
American “f-o-o-t-b-a-l-l” hey! Stealing the most sacred of names from the “beautiful game” and then putting it to that dire use is frankly unforgivable.

Almost as bad as using “soccer” to describe actual football. I know we Brits invented the term “soccer” but we sure as hell stopped using it as soon as the US adopted it some 30 or 40 years ago!

Anyway thanks to Taylor Swift, the Super Bowl result actually made headlines over here too.
Old 02-12-24, 06:19 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
As someone mentioned previously, Superbowl day is great for a road bike ride. Like a holiday with much less traffic. But unfortunately, it rained.
Old 02-12-24, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,574 Times in 7,337 Posts
Nobody cared about Swift except the countless number of young girls, among others, glued to the TV to see her. The Swift effect throughout the playoffs has been well documented.
Old 02-12-24, 08:17 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Super Hype Bowl. It's not "football". It's pick it up run with it or throw it ball. Megamorphs in regimented lines butting heads. Even in my childhood it was a WTF? for me and has never changed.

OTOH Real Football is a game recognized World Wide by bazillions of people, untold thousands of players and clubs. And it has many names in different countries so soccer is an OK name too.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-12-24, 08:28 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
American “f-o-o-t-b-a-l-l” hey! Stealing the most sacred of names from the “beautiful game” and then putting it to that dire use is frankly unforgivable.
Beautiful? If you like watching paint dry. Can there be a more boing sport?
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-12-24, 08:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Not according to most of the World. It's even fairly popular in the US these days.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-12-24, 08:35 AM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
This was the first Superbowl I watched end to end in years - almost always something better to do, or I simply lose interest.

Anyway, once they got past the gladiator-like bluster, warrior banter, and ego-trips preceeding the game it wasn't a bad contest. America would be a better place without the crap that seems to attract the ignorant mouth-breathing masses. Bread & circuses.

Last edited by axelwik; 02-12-24 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-12-24, 08:39 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Not a fan of NFL. It is a physical sport. Also, throwing, catching, and running, with too many interruptions, doesn't require much skill. The sport doesn't have a flow.

I love to watch European soccer though.
Old 02-12-24, 08:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
So how was the ride? It rained hard here.

Did you notice that was the Jackson State Sonic Boom Marching Band at the halftime show?!

They weren't allowed to disclose that they were going to be there. But I was pretty certain that was them when I saw them. Shortly afterward they were allowed to confirm that.
Old 02-12-24, 08:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11974 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...once I heard that Taylor had successfully arrived at the stadium, I completely lost interest. Did someone win ?
You “bicycle only” people. smh

Sad.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 02-12-24, 09:01 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11974 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I watched today . . . The Millrose Games (indoor track meet) from NYC. New American indoor men's mile record: 3:47.01, new world record, indoor men's two mile (8:03), American record in the women'stwo mile: 9:05. The meet was yesterday (Saturday).
I ran that in HS back in the day. The old armory. That was our home field, practice field, we didn’t have one of our own in upper Manhattan.
Old 02-12-24, 09:23 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Super Hype Bowl. It's not "football". It's pick it up run with it or throw it ball. Megamorphs in regimented lines butting heads. Even in my childhood it was a WTF? for me and has never changed.
Not exactly true. I believe this game set a record on kicking field goals, e.i. foot kicks ball. Plus, one missed extra point kick, allowing KC to tie and go to OT. These type of games are often won on kicks, generating a decent excitement, unlike soccer
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 02-12-24, 09:48 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Not according to most of the World. It's even fairly popular in the US these days.
And?

A game that can end with zero goals. Boring by definition.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-12-24, 09:49 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Yeah, it's Superb owl day.

Old 02-12-24, 09:54 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
"Futbol is life, but Futbol is also death"...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-12-24, 09:58 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I ran that in HS back in the day. The old armory. That was our home field, practice field, we didn’t have one of our own in upper Manhattan.
Is that the one one on 26th st? That was our "home court" in college.
Old 02-12-24, 10:08 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I watch at least one Football Game, One Soccer Game, One Baseball Game, Three Basketball Games, and Curling every four years. Tour De France? Wow, I try but dont have the patience My bike route goes by some Pickleball Courts. That looks like fun.

This 2024 Super Bowl? After a terrible opening, there is only one US National Anthem, and a confusing Half Time, the Second Half dropped into Low Gear and only in Over Time took Kansas City into orbit... This years super bowl had a great Second Half...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.