Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How much can I sell my bike for?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 01:03 AM
tuk123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,
Years ago, I bought a MTB to go trail riding with my buddies. Much to my dismay, I found out rather quickly that I really don't like trails much. In fact I like riding on roads and pavements, so I ran out and bought a road bike. Long story short, the MTB been in my basement collecting dust for the last 4 years. I rode it very lightly, I think twice on trails and other times just around my neighbourhood.

In my effort to declutter and free up some $$ for other goodies, I have decided to sell it. Part of me feel hesitant about selling as it's still in mint condition, but I know the odds of me riding it will be slim to none. Since I know nothing about MTB, so I am hoping some of you can help me price this accordingly. My bike is a 2007 Devinci Moonracer 1. I bought it for $1800(CDN) back in 2009. So for a 4 year old barely ridden mint condition bike, what's a reasonable price to sell for? Here's a link for the bike: https://www.devinci.com/archive/2007/...acer_1_ang.pdf

Your input is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 04-21-13, 04:28 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Can't comment on the local market conditions, but for the bike

It's s a 6 year old model, no one is going to care when you bought it, for the design, it looks nice, unfortunately it's fairly obsolete, with short travel rear suspension, when modern bikes start at 100mm, with 120-140mm being common, spec on the bike is low-mid range, not bad, but nothing really shouts out 'look at me'.

If you can get more than 50% back, you will probably be doing very well; the components on it don't justify parting it out so would look at selling complete. When you advertise it, highlight it has a Fox rear shock, the Float is their low end model, but it is a name which has brand recognition.
Old 04-21-13, 04:56 AM
U.V.
it cant rain all the time

Bikes: 2 MTB's and 1 commuter bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to you the bike might be four years old, but, to anyone whos thinking of buying it its six years old. if it was un-used still in the box you might get half the price you paid for it
Old 04-21-13, 04:57 AM
U.V.
it cant rain all the time

Bikes: 2 MTB's and 1 commuter bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ooops... i'll have to remember to refresh the page before i post!
Old 04-21-13, 06:27 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Here's a benchmark, I just sold an 05' Specialized FSR XC. I too bought it as a left over and has been said, no one cares. The fork on it was a major upgrade from a Manitou Splice to a Fox F-100. I advertised it for just below half what I paid for the bike and fork, asking $590 US. I had 11 hits within 12 hours of posting it. The first guy that came to look at it bought for asking price. OK, I sold it a little too low, but the point is, I sold it. Your bike is pristine, but not a well known brand. I'd try for just over half of what you paid. If it doesn't sell in the first week, lower the price.
Old 04-21-13, 12:52 PM
tuk123

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. So general consensus is 50% haircut, this is actually what I had in mind as well.

I just posted it online, hopefully I can find a good home for it soon.