Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Changing a tyre, without hands

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 02:12 AM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Changing a tyre, without hands

I just saw this on the aus.bicycle newsgroup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCDEAYn8rQ

I am gobsmacked. I know people who are born armless are usually very flexible and nimble with their feet, but this fellow is something else:

In 1992 I almost lost my life in a work related accident. After four weeks in a coma, I awoke in a strange hospital I did not recognize, I felt the sting of the burns all across my body and for the life of me, I could not move my arms. The doctors continued to tell me everything I would do again with hard work and therapy, like button my shirt, brush my hair and feed myself…all things one learned as a child. After letting it all sink in, it became clear that at 24 I had to start my new life … as a bi-lateral amputee.
-- ABOUT US | Overcome...Don't Stop Living.

According to this video, it was a workplace accident where he came too close to a substation transformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2JsXPIGQPU

I have no idea how he changes gears or signals turns. Operating the brake would be enough of a challenge. Edit: Some digging revealed how: https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/09/30/...t-stop-living/

I would love to think I'd be as brave as that to try and cycle in that condition, but probably would not be.

Last edited by Redhatter; 05-13-15 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 06:35 PM
dicktill

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
WOW! That is impressive and inspirational!

I went through all the links, but didn't see where the brake lever was; how does he do that?
Old 05-14-15, 01:40 AM
Redhatter

Originally Posted by dicktill
WOW! That is impressive and inspirational!

I went through all the links, but didn't see where the brake lever was; how does he do that?
The bikerumor link shows the shots, basically the lever is attached to that PVC sleeve. He shoves his stump into that, and that helps him both steer and brake.

The brake lever itself operates both brakes.
Old 05-14-15, 05:09 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It goes to show, never give up....there is always a way and we can adapt....We complain about little stuff and look what that guy does with no hands...
Old 05-17-15, 01:50 AM
cnxbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That incredible !
I use my 2 hands but for only rear wheel, it;s 1 hour!! T__T
Old 05-17-15, 02:11 AM
Redhatter

It's a good 20 minutes for me to change a rear tyre on my road bike too: largely due to the nutted hub.

Out of interest I did some further digging to see where disabled people have taken cycling.

There are a couple of quad-amputees that cycle, mostly on recumbent trikes. There's stories of various triple-amputees (all of them minus legs and an arm) and a few doubles of various configurations. (Many of these, war veterans.)

This fellow would be the most severely disabled amputee I've seen who rides a largely conventional bike without prosthetics. Add to this he rode across the country unsupported. Now I'm not sure if he packed his arm in the pannier or something. Heck, I wonder how he managed to go to the loo whilst on the road! Given how urgently nature can call, and he has to not only stop, but go rummage around in a pack to put an arm on. Using a phone would be tough too: you'd have to stick a pencil/stylus in your mouth, hold the phone in the hand and start pecking.

The only one who comes close was one kid who was born armless riding an un-modified mountain bike in Chinese traffic. Being born that way though is a little different: you're learning techniques from day one, not re-learning after having done things a particular way for 20 years. That's what surprised me about Hector.

It is fascinating in a way and really brings home the message: as bad as life might seem, there is always someone who's doing it harder!
Old 05-21-15, 06:33 AM
htotaza

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent 1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redhatter
I just saw this on the aus.bicycle newsgroup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCDEAYn8rQ

I am gobsmacked. I know people who are born armless are usually very flexible and nimble with their feet, but this fellow is something else:

-- ABOUT US | Overcome...Don't Stop Living.

According to this video, it was a workplace accident where he came too close to a substation transformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2JsXPIGQPU

I have no idea how he changes gears or signals turns. Operating the brake would be enough of a challenge. Edit: Some digging revealed how: Bike Check: Hector Picard of Don?t Stop Living

I would love to think I'd be as brave as that to try and cycle in that condition, but probably would not be.
Wow, that is awesome! Talk about gaining perspective!