Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1985 Peter Mooney frame #302

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 05:49 AM
deeky

Bikes: More than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Hi all! Picked up an old handbuilt Peter Mooney from FB marketplace. Emailed his shop up in MA and found out it was built in 1985.

Dura Ace 7400, Campy Chorus hubs laced to Mavic Open 4 CD rims, Liberator Ti-Race saddle, Modolo X-Tenos stem/bars...

Bike rides great but still needs some adjustment, new cables, etc. Had a few questions though:

1. I will be swapping out bars for something getting the hoods up a little higher. However, I'm trying to figure out if stem should go too. Apparently the X-Tenos stems have a reputation for failure, especially those with "flat" bottom (which this has--later models were rounded to remove this failure point, apparently). Anyone know if the reputation of these stems is deserved or not? If so, I'd probably just swap out with an old Cinelli quill stem.

2. Wheels are true and feel excellent, and I love the high flange Chorus hubs. That said, the brake track looks terrible... Any idea how to refurb this and make it look less ****ty? Looks like some abrasive might do the trick but I've never had to do it before.

Thanks for any help!
Likes For deeky:
Old 12-30-19, 10:16 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
First, congrats! Mooney is really among my favorite builders, and I love his attention to detail. He also tends to pick really good painters, which makes a lot of difference. Please take more photos - the head badge, close ups, etc.

So the stem question...I've always changed them because of their rep, but don't have direct experience. There is some rumor mongering and exaggeration when it comes to some parts being problematic, but I don't know if this is such an example. That said, this bike deserves a Cinelli, or 3ttt, stem regardless.

On the brake track - this happens. If it still stops and has machining, I wouldn't worry about it. If not, replace the rims. I don't think you can really restore wear to a worn rim.
Old 12-30-19, 11:00 AM
deeky

Bikes: More than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
First, congrats! Mooney is really among my favorite builders, and I love his attention to detail. He also tends to pick really good painters, which makes a lot of difference. Please take more photos - the head badge, close ups, etc.

So the stem question...I've always changed them because of their rep, but don't have direct experience. There is some rumor mongering and exaggeration when it comes to some parts being problematic, but I don't know if this is such an example. That said, this bike deserves a Cinelli, or 3ttt, stem regardless.

On the brake track - this happens. If it still stops and has machining, I wouldn't worry about it. If not, replace the rims. I don't think you can really restore wear to a worn rim.
I figured I would take a few more shots once I have the bike cleaned up. Needs a thorough detail! Appears that CyclArt painted the frame, which is in pretty good shape (few nicks of rust here and there). You aren't kidding about attention to detail, though.

I like the current wheels significantly more than I care about the appearance of the brake track, so if there is no solution, so be it. I'd rather ride it than look at it (although both are pleasurable).
Old 12-30-19, 12:28 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
My 76' Mooney was probably Chris Chance...the 79' is Fresh Frames (easily the nicest paint job of the three, and among the nicest I've seen), and the mid-80s was CyclArt. Gorgeous bikes, and I especially like the head badge.