Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trailer for Tennis Ball Machine

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 08-04-20, 07:52 PM
tennisjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone. Ive always enjoyed riding my road bikes to the courts several times a week. That's my warm up and my cool down.

When I want to use the ball machine, Ive gotta drive a car...all of 3 miles. Time for a trailer! But which trailer?

I'd prefer used and sturdy quality. I'd like it to store flat (if possible). I take a bike-only trail the entire distance.

Ball machine is a Sports Tutor 12"w x 19.5"h 20"l. 42 pounds.

Any thoughs will be appreciated.
Old 08-05-20, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Modify a 2 kid trailer , or a cargo trailer like Carry Freedom or Burley Flatbed , build a cradle out of something..

how about pvc plumbing tubing and elbows?
Old 08-05-20, 01:04 PM
tennisjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just took a look at Carry Freedom YFrame on YouTube. The flat hard bottom looks ideal for the ball machine ( basically a large shoe box shape), easy to break down so it'll store in a hall closet. Thanks for that suggestion.
Old 08-13-20, 12:19 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
A few trailers

I am a big fan of the trailers that connect to your bicycle's Seat Post. I would say get something that you can throw other things in as well, like some of your other tennis equipment. What kind of bike are you hauling with?

https://amzn.to/30RzzDi - attaches to wheel skewer, which I'm not that big of a fan of since it won't work with some bikes, especially more road-oriented without an adapter (which you can get from Burley).
https://amzn.to/34poM5t - attaches to a seat tube, which means pretty much any bike just needs enough seat tube space for the hitch. Word of warning though, make sure you place the hitch as far under your saddle as possible to keep your legs from striking it as you pedal. I have a Burley Travoy that works great (not enough trailer for your application) the only issues being you have to choke up on it all the way under as far as possible.

Aesom has some great trailers, Burley's are even better quality. I don't see how Burley cargo's cost what they do.

Good luck!
wsgts

Last edited by wsgts; 08-21-20 at 08:47 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 08-17-20, 12:14 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
It might be hard to find used, but the Wike Heavy Duty Flatbed Trailer is lovely for tasks like that. The wheels can be removed so that it can be stored flat if needed.