Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Track Hub design

Old 08-31-10, 11:29 AM
Dinaars

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track Hub design

I am studying engineering and have access to lots of machines(cnc) in my university workshop. I was vondering is it possible to build your own track hubs from a block of aluminium. The only thing I need is any blueprints, measurements or any full dimensions of a sealed track hub. Does anybody of you know a link for such drawings? Or maybe somebody has expirience in such activities and could help me?
Old 08-31-10, 12:47 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sure you could do it
Old 08-31-10, 12:55 PM
Dinaars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just because i just registered in this forum means I am not able to do anything? I have restored cars, built bicycles, robots etc. I think i am able to use tools to get thing done. Why not a hub. It's just an aluminium piece with 37 holes and some thread. Just need the drawings.
Old 08-31-10, 01:11 PM
mumblesmumbles
just mumbling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're really an engineering student and have done the things you say yet can't come up with a basic hub design using CAD software then you should rethink your major.

Edit:

With the negativity out of the way, I'd love to see your eventual design utilizing 37 spokes.

Perhaps you can call it the "Veronica" as a reference to one of Kevin Smiths characters in the film "Clerks".

Last edited by mumblesmumbles; 08-31-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 01:32 PM
sknoslo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mumblesmumbles
With the negativity out of the way, I'd love to see your eventual design utilizing 37 spokes.

Perhaps you can call it the "Veronica" as a reference to one of Kevin Smiths characters in the film "Clerks".
Not positive but I'm assuming the OP meant 36 holes for spokes and 1 for the bearings/axle. Not 37 spoke holes...

Any whoooo.... Yeah as long as you plan to make the hub yourself why don't you design it yourself to? As a engineering student I'm sure you have access to CAD software.
Old 08-31-10, 01:58 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Here's some custom tandem hubs made by Canadian mechanic and racer, Doc Morten, back in the 30's out of solid alloy. The hard part will be machining steel races to fit methinks.

I'm guessing these were turned on some sort of milling machine?
Old 08-31-10, 02:01 PM
ThePritchett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uh... are you studying to be a machinist or an engineer? If the latter, design your own damn hub. It's not that hard.

If you're looking to find dimensions for an existing hub, then copy it, just buy an existing hub.

This is about as basic of a design problem as you'll find. If you can't handle it, I highly suggest finding a different carreer path. The last thing the world needs is another engineer who can't design his way out of a box.

- An Engineer
Old 08-31-10, 02:03 PM
Dinaars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have access to CAD software. I'm using Solid Edge v20 and N6 for CNC machining. I could design a hub myself, but i need some information about thread sizes, sprocket/lockring spacing and bearing placement. Since I don't have a sealed bearing hub close to me, I can't just measure this. The idea is to create just the hub body - all the other parts will be bought.
Old 08-31-10, 02:21 PM
hpmcardle
a bored kid

Bikes: Year unknown CCM Targa conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoah. Post pix when done, I'm interested in seeing this. Sounds cool
Old 08-31-10, 02:36 PM
sknoslo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-024/000.html

Look about halfway down the page. They have dimensions of a track hub. Not a technical drawing so I'm not sure if it will be very helpful but maybe.
Old 08-31-10, 02:41 PM
aerodave
I'm not hardcore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand Dinaars' problem, and he doesn't deserve the harsh and biting criticism he's getting (then again, I shouldn't forget what forum this is).

If the design problem were to design a hub in a requirements vacuum, then no problem. In that case, it truly is an easy problem and any engineer worth his salt (or future salt if he's a student) should come up with an answer easily.

But we live in the real world where such a design is constrained by convention, arbitrary historical precedent, and the interactions with other components. If the guy needs info on thread sizes so his hub will take standard axle nuts and cogs, it's an acceptable question. If he needs inner diameters so he can use off-the-shelf bearings (a valid design choice), then so be it. Those kinds of things are important if he ever plans to put this hub on a bike that won't also have to be design from the ground up.

Sorry I don't have your answers...but ignore the surly members of our "community" and keep working at it.

-- Another Engineer
Old 08-31-10, 02:54 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by aerodave
If the guy needs info on thread sizes so his hub will take standard axle nuts and cogs, it's an acceptable question. If he needs inner diameters so he can use off-the-shelf bearings (a valid design choice), then so be it. Those kinds of things are important if he ever plans to put this hub on a bike that won't also have to be design from the ground up.
All he needs to do is some basic research and all this information is readily available on the internet. He's just being intellectually lazy, expecting us to spoon feed him the answers. The most important part of engineering education is learning to gather relevant information and then process it into a viable result. I'm really disappointed with the current crop of engineers that expect others to do their thinking for them.

-- An engineer from another era

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-31-10, 03:01 PM
sknoslo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
All he needs to do is some basic research and all this information is readily available on the internet. He's just being intellectually lazy, expecting us to spoon feed him the answers. The most important part of engineering education is learning to gather relevant information and then process it into a viable result. I'm really disappointed with the current crop of engineers that expect others to do their thinking for them.

-- An engineer from another era
This.

I find it weird that with information so readily available people in my generation still expect to be spoon fed. Google is a wonderful thing.

-- An engineering student turned computer science student (not for lack of intelligence, just lack of interest)
Old 08-31-10, 03:03 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I like cats.

-- Not an engineer at all but I like messing around with my bike.
Old 08-31-10, 03:39 PM
Dinaars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknoslo
https://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-024/000.html

Look about halfway down the page. They have dimensions of a track hub. Not a technical drawing so I'm not sure if it will be very helpful but maybe.
I think this will do. Thanks!

The thing is that it's easy and possible to find thread sizes, but try to find the information about how many turns it has to have. What is the needed distance from sprocket to flange so the spokes don't touch. How thick the flanges need to be, what is the needed wall thicknes in the middle of the hub? There are lot of questions and a googles link to wikipedias flip/flop hub just doesn't do good enough..
Old 08-31-10, 03:44 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to do this.

-- Engineering student
Old 08-31-10, 03:49 PM
sknoslo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dinaars
I think this will do. Thanks!

The thing is that it's easy and possible to find thread sizes, but try to find the information about how many turns it has to have. What is the needed distance from sprocket to flange so the spokes don't touch. How thick the flanges need to be, what is the needed wall thicknes in the middle of the hub? There are lot of questions and a googles link to wikipedias flip/flop hub just doesn't do good enough..
Great hope that works out. Once you get something modeled up you should post a screen shot. And if you ever go through with machining it, post some pictures of that.

BTW, I found that link on the second page of a Google search.

Don't take any rudeness personally. It's the internet, people (including myself) are obligated to give others a hard time.

Edit: Also, if you are going to be machining from a solid block of aluminum you won't want flanges as large as the ones in the link I posted. That will not be very cost effective.

Last edited by sknoslo; 08-31-10 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 03:56 PM
ichitz
Nü-Fred

Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take a caliper to ur current hub?
Old 08-31-10, 07:02 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm gonna suggest that if you're going to make your own hub, why make a standard track hub? One of these would be much cooler. Not to much more work either.
Old 08-31-10, 08:16 PM
TheBikeRollsOn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This seems like a cool idea.

-A sociology student
Old 08-31-10, 08:27 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
just put lots of holes in it

-an art student

Last edited by hairnet; 08-31-10 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 08:44 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
just put lots of holes in it

-an art student
37 of them...or 41...or 33...or...
Old 08-31-10, 09:28 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Old 08-31-10, 09:31 PM
aerodave
I'm not hardcore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
The most important part of engineering education is learning to gather relevant information and then process it into a viable result.
I completely agree. Though I'm not sure how personally asking people who are somewhat likely to possess the knowledge isn't a viable way of gathering relevant information. If someone comes to me and says "What airfoil section does the C-130 use?" I'm not gonna say "Go look it up...and F- you for being lazy". I'm going to provide the answer if I have it because appealing to expertise is a great way of gathering information. It's not spoon-feeding, and there's nothing inherently honorable about arriving by an answer in a harder way than necessary.

But in any case, I'm glad the OP appears to have gotten some of what he needs.
Old 08-31-10, 09:36 PM
squeegeesunny 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3's enough for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.