Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weightlifting Lifting And Endurance Cycling

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Weightlifting Lifting And Endurance Cycling

Old 10-29-18, 12:27 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
In general I think that Friel's training bible is a very good source for people. But though I haven't looked into it, from his training regimens I would think that he is a crit racer andsprinter. So you have to maintain that in mind.
Joe Friel is a runner/triathlete originally.
Old 10-29-18, 12:49 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Is there any actual statistical evidence that short term spikes like these are dangerous? I think it's pretty premature to say that using 25 reps is "much" safer. I've been a member of the powerlifting community for over a decade. This includes a large number of masters lifters. Despite lifting heavy several times a week, I've yet to hear about this happening.
Good point. Without evidence, I shouldn't say it's much safer, and although it would seem to be common sense that blood pressure spikes could be dangerous for masters athletes, I have not researched the issue. I have heard anecdotal reports however. I can see how that would be important to someone who enjoys powerlifting. I on the other hand am simply interested in retaining muscle and strength as I age, perhaps increase it a bit too, and there is good evidence that 20-25 reps to exhaustion works just as well in achieving those goals as heavy weights/low reps.
Old 10-29-18, 12:55 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
Good point. Without evidence, I shouldn't say it's much safer, and although it would seem to be common sense that blood pressure spikes could be dangerous for masters athletes, I have not researched the issue. I have heard anecdotal reports however. I can see how that would be important to someone who enjoys powerlifting. I on the other hand am simply interested in retaining muscle and strength as I age, perhaps increase it a bit too, and there is good evidence that 20-25 reps to exhaustion works just as well in achieving those goals as heavy weights/low reps.
I don't powerlift any more (just kind of lost interest) although I'm still friends with many of the people I met while doing the sport.
I agree, you can do higher rep sets and be successful. But... I personally find those to be miserable, particularly with large compound exercises. I like sets in the 8-10 range much better.
Old 10-29-18, 12:55 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
And neither do pro's who train powerlifting competition winners like boris sheiko:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itrjzo7VMDQ

I don't remember exactly where it is but he says his competitors never do more than 85%-90% of their max in training. The only time they go above that is for competitions, or in order to qualify for the competition, but in regular training he avoids lifters going to their max. Advanced training also involves "periodized" training where you cycle through different percentages of your max.

The "must lift to failure" idea is a myth...it's about as true as "red bikes are faster". ;-)
Lifting half or more of your bodyweight is considered heavy lifting and this alone can result in torn aortas. I'm 185 lbs and never had any trouble lifting half of that and would when I was in the military. What the medical literature says is that these were undiagnosed aneurisms.

Well, one might theorize that those of us that are considered senior citizens no longer have to worry about these sorts of things but we have about the same numbers of heart failures as young healthy weight lifters. I suppose I could look around and try to find that study in Cardiology but if you're interested you could look it up yourself.

And who says red bikes aren't faster?
Old 10-29-18, 01:04 PM
OBoile

Lifting half or more of your bodyweight is considered heavy lifting and this alone can result in torn aortas. I'm 185 lbs and never had any trouble lifting half of that and would when I was in the military. What the medical literature says is that these were undiagnosed aneurisms.

Well, one might theorize that those of us that are considered senior citizens no longer have to worry about these sorts of things but we have about the same numbers of heart failures as young healthy weight lifters. I suppose I could look around and try to find that study in Cardiology but if you're interested you could look it up yourself.

And who says red bikes aren't faster?
Here's hoping you never have to walk up stairs or get up off the toilet. That could be dangerous!

Seriously, are you just trolling here?
Old 10-29-18, 01:10 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by asgelle

Very enlightening (but maybe not in the way you intended).
Would you prefer if I said that muscle fibers come in cardiac, smooth and skeletal? But since you have no control over cardiac and smooth what point would there be in talking about them? You do all of your work with your heart but only indirectly. You require your kidneys and liver to cleanse your blood of the toxins created by the work of the other two types but again you have no control of this. And skeletal muscles come in Type 1, Type 2a and Type 2b but unless you're a medical technician of some sort what would that mean to you that "Fast Twitch" and "Slow Twitch" don't do a better job of?
Old 10-29-18, 01:14 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I've passed your posting on to the old farts I ride with. Of course they are all at least 5 years younger than me and think that they are still young, but if another one of them has a heart attack maybe they will begin thinking. I've always had an interest in survival. Strangely enough I've never worried much about cars. I am always polite to them and they in general are polite with me. But I have always known that pushing yourself too hard is not good for you. But I come from a family of fighters and perhaps my view of "too hard" and other people's is different. I remember my Uncle John after a middle weight fight would take 2 months to heal. And those were the one's he won.
What has happened to Lennard Zinn and countless endurance athletes who would push their hearts for 8 hr. straight riding excursions is pretty eye opening.
Zinn is a very smart guy and can't reverse his heart damage so far. The article makes a lot of sense. If the muscle stiffens as it is damaged by age and overuse and the electrical system doesn't morph, the firing of the heart can go out of rhythm. Has killed a fair share of aging endurance guys including runners.

Take away to me, is prolonged hard efforts in the saddle are not good for the heart. I have done my share of distance riding with high effort. I am not going to push my luck and have really backed off distance riding or...pushing myself too hard to stay up on the A group ride.

Lennard Zinn is now relegated to riding his excellent e-bike because he can't push his heart at all without it going out of sync. Sobering for a guy who embodies the sport.

Good luck to us all.
Old 10-29-18, 01:15 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Would you prefer if I said that muscle fibers come in cardiac, smooth and skeletal? But since you have no control over cardiac and smooth what point would there be in talking about them? You do all of your work with your heart but only indirectly. You require your kidneys and liver to cleanse your blood of the toxins created by the work of the other two types but again you have no control of this. And skeletal muscles come in Type 1, Type 2a and Type 2b but unless you're a medical technician of some sort what would that mean to you that "Fast Twitch" and "Slow Twitch" don't do a better job of?
I’d prefer you reconcile this with all muscle fibers are the same and all have the same strength, but I won’t hold my breath.
Old 10-29-18, 01:16 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Of course you can't stop me from doing what I want. Of course, what I do only affects me.

If only there were a way to stop you from dispensing incorrect training advice. That has the potential to affect others.
Excuse me but what "training advice" have I dispensed? Do you consider it improper to refer people to Joe Freil's "The Cyclists Training Bible"?
Old 10-29-18, 01:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
As I said, initially you can increase your fitness with weight training, But muscle fibers are all the same and all have the same strength. So after a point the only way of increasing your strength is by increasing the number of muscle fibers. You aren't going to "recruit" the muscles in your butt to lift a weight on your arms.

Also, physical therapists are educated in the way muscles work and they disagree with you. They use rather light weights and multiple repetitions.
I really don't want to waste my time typing in stuff which you could read on your own from the docs for which I've already published links. In any case you are misinformed:
1) All muscle fibers are not the same.

2) They do not all have the same strength. Fibers in different muscles have different strengths. Not only that, but different fibers in the same muscle have different talents.

3) Muscle fibers are activated by nerves. You have to teach your nerves to activate the fibers. The first time one plays tennis, one does very badly. Trained, one can play because one has taught one's nerves to activate particular fibers at particular times. This is called neuromuscular coordination. You have to recruit the muscles in your arms to lift weight with your arms. For instance, were you to actually go to the gym twice a week and do only biceps curls but using as much weight as you can for 3 sets of 8 reps, by the end of the 3rd week you'll be curling considerably more weight than you did the first time, yet your arms will be no bigger. This is because of fiber recruitment. Trainers test this by having the client first try to curl 1 rep with as much weight as they can. This is called 1RM or one repetition maximum. At the end of the training period they will have the client test their 1 RM again.

4) Physical therapists are usually trying to fix injuries so they use light weights. Physical trainers are trying to make you stronger. Physical trainers may yell at you to force you to do one more rep. Getting stronger usually involves from 3 to 12 reps, depending on where one is in the training cycle.

No, physical therapists do not disagree with me. Go ask them.

Go read and learn. Better yet, read, learn, and exercise. Faith without works is nothing.
Old 10-29-18, 01:20 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colnago62

Joe Friel is a runner/triathlete originally.
I don't know him personally so I can't say. But don't you think that training ideas for any endurance sports are pretty much the same? Find your weakest links and manage your training to improve those?
Old 10-29-18, 01:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Wattsup
Friel isn't exactly cutting edge. For example, regarding weight training, he recommends heavy weights, lower reps. He explains there's a risk/reward relationship, heavy weight/low reps being the best way for master's athletes to keep valuable muscle tissue and strength, but admits there is risk involved too, risk of injury. The thing is, recent research, two different studies in fact, show that performing sets with 25 reps using lighter weights that completely exhaust the muscle at the 25th rep is just as effective in building strength and muscle as high weight/low rep sets, and it's a lot safer.
This is true. I used to train that way, 3 sets of 30. The problem is that it takes too long and creates a too large training stress, which cuts down on the cycling one can do. Everyone is recovery-limited. As I've stated above and as you say, it's training to failure that the cyclist is after, however many reps are used.
Old 10-29-18, 01:24 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here's hoping you never have to walk up stairs or get up off the toilet. That could be dangerous!

Seriously, are you just trolling here?
"Scientists are calling for widespread heart screening of people before they begin weight training. That's based on new evidence that lifting more than half your body weight could put you at risk of sudden death.

Yale New Haven Hospital surgeon John Elefteriades and colleagues report in an advance online study in the journal Cardiology that they've documented a link between heavy lifting and torn aortas—the heart's main artery—in young, healthy patients who had previously undiagnosed aneurysms, or enlargement of the aorta.

In a group of 31 patients who had an undetected aneurysm and subsequent torn aorta from heavy lifting, 10 of them died. Elefteriades defines heavy lifting as lifting more than half your body weight."

Seriously, exactly who is trolling? This study started because of suspicions as far back as 2003 among members of the team.
Old 10-29-18, 01:32 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I'm in my 30's and I've known many coworkers (and myself) to try taking up lifting to get into shape. They either go online and start doing something they found online or they try doing what they were doing while on a sports team in college. Every single one of them (including myself) that does stuff involving squats/deadlifts/bench press seriously injures themselves doing these heavy lifts. I messed up my right leg and hip. My coworker who played rugby in college did something awful to his back and went from sitting in office chairs fine to it being painful in his back to sit in them.

After that I noticed there's basically 2 groups of people who make claims about lifting.

1. People who face no negative consequences if their advice hurts people. If they tell someone lifting is perfectly safe, then that person gets horribly injured, they can just ignore it.
2. People who face professional or personal negative consequences if their advice hurts people. Like professionals who train athletes.

From the "whatever I say won't hurt me" group you get loudly pushing all kinds of over the top positive claims about lifting and health benefits. When you get injured and talk about it they get very angry and attack you.
From the "if I get someone else hurt it will be bad for me" group you get basically the opposite advice - a lot more isolation lifts for training athletes, a lot more "we tried squats and deadlifts but the injury rate was to high so we do something different now", and even from coaches that train people to powerlift and compete you hear a long list of boring things they do like not going above 85%-90% of your max in training, spending the first year at smaller weights to get the body used to doing it, and that there definitely are people who because of their genetics or physical condition should never be lifting heavy weights with compound lifts because their body just cannot handle it.

Meanwhile, back online people are some of the worst advice you've ever heard in how to exercise. There's a forum I sometimes check where they ban discussion of injuries, and recently had a thread exactly lifting with big compound lifts where they specifically mention how a guy who's had 2 surgeries was doing so great with it.

I think it's a combination of lifting being a little dangerous moreso if your body isn't suited for it, and just abysmally terrible advice given out as to how to lift. The "popular" lifting programs I see are like equivalent to suggesting people bike by dressing up in all black and riding on the street at 01:30am in front of the worst bar in town. When you see actual professionals who both train people and also face consequences if they injure people talking about how they train, it's almost always the exact opposite of the "popular" advice you read about lifting online.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-29-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 01:33 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I’d prefer you reconcile this with all muscle fibers are the same and all have the same strength, but I won’t hold my breath.
"Muscle fiber type can be measured in 3 ways: myosin ATPase histochemistry, immunohistochemistry, or (much less commonly) metabolic enzymes.

Changes in muscle fiber type can be2 presented as either changes in the proportion of fibers of a given type, or as changes in the absolute or relative cross-sectional area of the fibers.

Although all fiber types have a similar single fiber force, type II muscle fibers display a much faster shortening velocity than type I muscle fibers. A higher proportion of type II muscle fibers may therefore be beneficial for strength and power sports."

Do you suppose this is reconciliation enough or would you prefer the opinion of a high School PE teacher?
Old 10-29-18, 01:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Campag4life
What has happened to Lennard Zinn and countless endurance athletes who would push their hearts for 8 hr. straight riding excursions is pretty eye opening.
Zinn is a very smart guy and can't reverse his heart damage so far. The article makes a lot of sense. If the muscle stiffens as it is damaged by age and overuse and the electrical system doesn't morph, the firing of the heart can go out of rhythm. Has killed a fair share of aging endurance guys including runners.

Take away to me, is prolonged hard efforts in the saddle are not good for the heart. I have done my share of distance riding with high effort. I am not going to push my luck and have really backed off distance riding or...pushing myself too hard to stay up on the A group ride.

Lennard Zinn is now relegated to riding his excellent e-bike because he can't push his heart at all without it going out of sync. Sobering for a guy who embodies the sport.

Good luck to us all.
This is true, but begs the question. Do you believe that Zinn has increased his risk for "all-cause mortality" in the next 10 years? That study says "no". Remember that people die from all sorts of things. But the more you ride, the longer you'll live - statistically. I'm a member of the largest bike club in the nation, some 13,000+ members. It has had free daily group rides for decades. I know of only 2 people who've died from a coronary on these rides. TdF winners tend to be long lived.

You mention " countless endurance athletes who would push their hearts for 8 hr. straight," yet you don't see studies showing that these countless athletes met an early death, do you? The zonatandem couple are still riding in their mid-80's and they did a heckuva lot of miles.
Old 10-29-18, 01:42 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
"Scientists are calling for widespread heart screening of people before they begin weight training. That's based on new evidence that lifting more than half your body weight could put you at risk of sudden death.

Yale New Haven Hospital surgeon John Elefteriades and colleagues report in an advance online study in the journal Cardiology that they've documented a link between heavy lifting and torn aortas—the heart's main artery—in young, healthy patients who had previously undiagnosed aneurysms, or enlargement of the aorta.

In a group of 31 patients who had an undetected aneurysm and subsequent torn aorta from heavy lifting, 10 of them died. Elefteriades defines heavy lifting as lifting more than half your body weight."

Seriously, exactly who is trolling? This study started because of suspicions as far back as 2003 among members of the team.
If you read the original article, 2 of the 5 had aneurysms doing pushups https://jamanetwork-com.offcampus.li...bstract/197746 if you can't get access to the full article I can provide it via email. The 31 patients in the 2007 study were from extensive clinicial review of nationwide databases. It seems like the risk is a pretty small one, which they fail to statistically quantify
Old 10-29-18, 01:43 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
"Muscle fiber type can be measured in 3 ways: myosin ATPase histochemistry, immunohistochemistry, or (much less commonly) metabolic enzymes.

Changes in muscle fiber type can be2 presented as either changes in the proportion of fibers of a given type, or as changes in the absolute or relative cross-sectional area of the fibers.

Although all fiber types have a similar single fiber force, type II muscle fibers display a much faster shortening velocity than type I muscle fibers. A higher proportion of type II muscle fibers may therefore be beneficial for strength and power sports."

Do you suppose this is reconciliation enough or would you prefer the opinion of a high School PE teacher?
I would say rather than reconcile, you continue to demonstrate you lied in the first post I quoted and all fiber types are not the same. As I said, enlightening.
Old 10-29-18, 01:49 PM
OBoile

Excuse me but what "training advice" have I dispensed? Do you consider it improper to refer people to Joe Freil's "The Cyclists Training Bible"?
Is this a serious question?
I stay as far away from weight training as possible because that is a very good way to damage your joints. Most especially as you grow older. Your joints WILL wear out.
But muscle fibers are all the same and all have the same strength. So after a point the only way of increasing your strength is by increasing the number of muscle fibers.
But we do have multiple repeatable studies that show that lifting heavy weights (like my cousin a farmer or my brother who was a switchman on the railroad and would jump off of the cars to throw switches) CANNOT always be done carefully and correctly and inevitably damages joints. And it NEVER builds them up.
Lifting half or more of your bodyweight is considered heavy lifting and this alone can result in torn aortas.
Old 10-29-18, 01:51 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redlude97
If you read the original article, 2 of the 5 had aneurysms doing pushups https://jamanetwork-com.offcampus.li...bstract/197746 if you can't get access to the full article I can provide it via email. The 31 patients in the 2007 study were from extensive clinicial review of nationwide databases. It seems like the risk is a pretty small one, which they fail to statistically quantify
redlude - I have full access to the information. I completely agree with you that this appears to be too small of a study to strike any real conclusions. Remember that this wasn't concerning physical stress but ONLY heavy weight lifting. Furthermore, less than 20% of these sorts of studies yield a reproduction of the initial findings upon repeat studies.

But I will ask you - do you truly believe that you can't stress yourself to death? Mentally or physically?
Old 10-29-18, 01:53 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I'm in my 30's and I've known many coworkers (and myself) to try taking up lifting to get into shape. They either go online and start doing something they found online or they try doing what they were doing while on a sports team in college. Every single one of them (including myself) that does stuff involving squats/deadlifts/bench press seriously injures themselves doing these heavy lifts. I messed up my right leg and hip. My coworker who played rugby in college did something awful to his back and went from sitting in office chairs fine to it being painful in his back to sit in them.

After that I noticed there's basically 2 groups of people who make claims about lifting.

1. People who face no negative consequences if their advice hurts people. If they tell someone lifting is perfectly safe, then that person gets horribly injured, they can just ignore it.
2. People who face professional or personal negative consequences if their advice hurts people. Like professionals who train athletes.

From the "whatever I say won't hurt me" group you get loudly pushing all kinds of over the top positive claims about lifting and health benefits. When you get injured and talk about it they get very angry and attack you.
From the "if I get someone else hurt it will be bad for me" group you get basically the opposite advice - a lot more isolation lifts for training athletes, a lot more "we tried squats and deadlifts but the injury rate was to high so we do something different now", and even from coaches that train people to powerlift and compete you hear a long list of boring things they do like not going above 85%-90% of your max in training, spending the first year at smaller weights to get the body used to doing it, and that there definitely are people who because of their genetics or physical condition should never be lifting heavy weights with compound lifts because their body just cannot handle it.

Meanwhile, back online people are some of the worst advice you've ever heard in how to exercise. There's a forum I sometimes check where they ban discussion of injuries, and recently had a thread exactly lifting with big compound lifts where they specifically mention how a guy who's had 2 surgeries was doing so great with it.

I think it's a combination of lifting being a little dangerous moreso if your body isn't suited for it, and just abysmally terrible advice given out as to how to lift. The "popular" lifting programs I see are like equivalent to suggesting people bike by dressing up in all black and riding on the street at 01:30am in front of the worst bar in town. When you see actual professionals who both train people and also face consequences if they injure people talking about how they train, it's almost always the exact opposite of the "popular" advice you read about lifting online.
Ugh... not this again. The "I got hurt, therefore it must happen to everyone regardless of what actual studies say" argument doesn't fly.
Old 10-29-18, 01:55 PM
OBoile

First, where's the link?
Second, what does "lifting more than half your body weight" even mean? As I said, you lift more than half your body weight every time you get up from a toilet or walk up stairs.
Old 10-29-18, 01:57 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
redlude - I have full access to the information. I completely agree with you that this appears to be too small of a study to strike any real conclusions. Remember that this wasn't concerning physical stress but ONLY heavy weight lifting. Furthermore, less than 20% of these sorts of studies yield a reproduction of the initial findings upon repeat studies.

But I will ask you - do you truly believe that you can't stress yourself to death? Mentally or physically?
The fact they had to group weightlifters and people doing pushups in their initial study to convice themselves that of the possibility I think says a lot about the prevelance. Sure its possible to give yourself an aneurysm while lifting heavy and its prudent to have your heart checked before starting weight lifting or even cycling but its not as much a danger as they make it out to be.
Old 10-29-18, 01:59 PM
OBoile

I would say rather than reconcile, you continue to demonstrate you lied in the first post I quoted and all fiber types are not the same. As I said, enlightening.
He also fails to mention that individual muscle fibers can grow in size, thus making them stronger than they were previously despite the fiber type not changing.
Old 10-29-18, 02:04 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Firstly it gets a little tiresome to hear people make false comments such as "I lied". What part of "Although all fiber types have a similar single fiber force" did you not understand?

As PaulRivers noted, you face no negative consequences for anything you say concerning these things so it doesn't bother you at all to make any claims that are totally outside of your expertise. The medical establishment has another responsibility altogether and they say different than you. They are actually interested in people's health and lives. You on the other hand are not.

So unless you actually have some reason for arguing about this perhaps you can explain to us why you are making these claims?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.