Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 01-08-20, 12:05 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Holy Smokes, This bike is aptly named Epic. Wow. He'll love it!

Right at $300 complete. Rockin'
I consider the Epic to be the best dual suspension bike ever made. Stiff when you need it, squishy when you need it. I have two S-Works (one in Colorado and one in Tucson) as well as a spare frame. I got one for my daughter that was ugly green and we went so far to the dark side of ugly that we came out the other side. At home

Rachael right by Stuart Black, on Flickr

In its natural habitat

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-08-20, 12:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Might be time to overhaul the Noisy Cricket. Probably hasn't been done since it rolled out of Waterloo, WI in 1993.

I think this was the earliest Trek 5900 monocoque crabon fibber frame, back when even carbon fiber forks were still curved - as bicycle forks should be, ya buncha heathens with your straight forks.

Early Chris King headset too, the NoThreadSet titanium. Still looks serviceable. But a gunky mess. Fortunately Chris King still supports their products. With luck I'll need only an O-ring seal, maybe

Fork felt fine in August when I swapped out the original Ibis titanium stem and Nitto B65LL drops for a shorter FSA stem and Omega compact drops. Much easier on my cranky old neck.

But the steerer felt grindy, just like my own neck, a few days ago. I've avoided rain rides but did get caught once in October. I've heard this particular fork was vulnerable. Overdue for servicing anyway.

Took a couple of days with penetrating oil before a gentle whack detached it.

Appropriately, this 1993 fork steerer is from the Grunge Era. Looks, feels and smells worse than teen spirit.
Old 01-08-20, 03:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I found this wheel at the bike coop. The hub bearings were seized. So were the spoke nipples. I overhauled the hub at the coop and then brought the wheel home.

Today, I removed all the nipples and spokes. I threw away the nipples. I scrubbed the spokes clean. They had been black with grime. I scrubbed the hub, which was also black with gritty grime. I lubricated the spoke threads and rebuilt the wheel. I didn't even know the spokes were stainless steel, but they look good now. The wheel built up really nice and straight and true, and the spokes felt new with the new nipples.

So this heap of junk wheel is transformed into a nice wheel, ready for years of service.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-08-20, 03:14 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
That chain!!

Originally Posted by noglider
We are visiting my mother in law where we keep a couple of bikes for the one visit we make every year. Yesterday we took out our bikes, and Carol said there's some thumping going on. We stopped and looked, and her tire was ripping open right on the tread. So today I rode to the bike shop and picked up a pair of tires and put them on her bike.

I finished one and started another...

Before,

After,

On to the next one...

This is not really C&V
Old 01-08-20, 03:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Jmpierce, I like what you've done with that Trek. What bars are those?

"That chain" was not ours. I shot the picture in the apartment building's bike room where most bikes don't get used throughout the year. Our bikes there get used once a year.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-08-20, 03:47 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
My new Voyageur....

Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 01-08-20, 04:50 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
1997 Fuji Tourer

It came with little details like spare spokes on the NDS chainstay and a chain peg. For my daughter's friend, it came in just under $240. It had the typical non-functional RSX controls.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 01-22-20 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 06:05 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
I found this wheel at the bike coop. The hub bearings were seized. So were the spoke nipples. I overhauled the hub at the coop and then brought the wheel home.

Today, I removed all the nipples and spokes. I threw away the nipples. I scrubbed the spokes clean. They had been black with grime. I scrubbed the hub, which was also black with gritty grime. I lubricated the spoke threads and rebuilt the wheel. I didn't even know the spokes were stainless steel, but they look good now. The wheel built up really nice and straight and true, and the spokes felt new with the new nipples.

So this heap of junk wheel is transformed into a nice wheel, ready for years of service.
Tom,
You are being way too nice to some youngster who will put that on a 10spd frame and deliver Jimmy John's on it. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 01-08-20 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-08-20, 06:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Tom,
You are being way too nice to some youngster who will put that on a 10spd frame and deliver Jimmy John's on it. Smiles, MH
Ha! It's for someone specific, though. I previously found a nice wheel for him at the coop, and he paid for it and took it home and then discovered it's 27" and not 700c. So I felt I owed this to him. He said I shouldn't go through the trouble of a wheel rebuild, but I did it for my enjoyment as much as for him.

Old 01-09-20, 01:14 PM
mengruen

Bikes: 1987 Ross Mt. Hood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Overhauled a Suntour Vx derailleur as part of a complete rebuild on a 1981 Univega Viva Sport for my brother-in-law. I've only rebuilt Shimano RDs previously, so it was fun to note some of the differences!
Likes For mengruen:
Old 01-09-20, 03:06 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Sneak Preview

First brand new bike built up from scratch in about 10 years.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 01-09-20 at 03:11 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 01-09-20, 04:06 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
First brand new bike built up from scratch in about 10 years.

verktyg
That blue is great! What crank is that?
Old 01-09-20, 04:27 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Grand Cru Noir Drillium Cranks

Originally Posted by BFisher
That blue is great! What crank is that?
New black and blue Ed Litton frame on my new frankenbike... Thanks.

175mm Grand Cru Noir Drillium 110 BCD 34x48T. Very nicely made. I bought it from veloORANGE...

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...et-34x48t-noir

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 01-10-20 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 10:24 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Jmpierce, I like what you've done with that Trek. What bars are those?

"That chain" was not ours. I shot the picture in the apartment building's bike room where most bikes don't get used throughout the year. Our bikes there get used once a year.
I didn't really think you would let a chain get that bad.

The bar is an inexpensive Chinese made bar I got from Ebay.
FMF Aluminium Vintage City Urban bike Handlebar Cruiser riser bar 25.4*600mm
They are very comfortable.
Likes For Jmpierce:
Old 01-10-20, 11:59 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
[QUOTE=noglider;21272454]We are visiting my mother in law where we keep a couple of bikes for the one visit we make every year. Yesterday we took out our bikes, and Carol said there's some thumping going on. We stopped and looked, and her tire was ripping open right on the tread. So today I rode to the bike shop and picked up a pair of tires and put them on her bike.
Indeed, there was "Thumping going on"
Old 01-11-20, 06:22 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
This was posted originally in "Saved from the dump" but it belongs here.
I picked this up today and am going to repaint it....it has been repaired so a cleanup and perhaps some filing to clean up the weld. Good thing is that it's all there, no missing pieces that I am aware of...just really grungy! Chrome parts will be soaking in OC. while I give it a good wash.
It's super heavy duty and super heavy Merziac said it was originally designed for use on motorcycle wheels but I have seen old pics of them used in some Japanese factories to build wheels..it is marked TANAKA tools Japan so?
Anyway, I am happy to have this piece of history even with the repair.
Best, Ben

before the washdown.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 01-11-20, 07:19 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Tom,
Aint nothing wrong with that! Let the youngin’s Deliver the food, leave the paper to the rest of us!
Old 01-11-20, 07:32 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I picked this up today and am going to repaint it....it has been repaired so a cleanup and perhaps some filing to clean up the weld. Good thing is that it's all there, no missing pieces that I am aware of...just really grungy! Chrome parts will be soaking in OC. while I give it a good wash.
It's super heavy duty and super heavy Merziac said it was originally designed for use on motorcycle wheels but I have seen old pics of them used in some Japanese factories to build wheels..it is marked TANAKA tools Japan so?
Best, Ben

before the washdown.
This is awesome. It does look like a motorcycle trying stand however it also looks very similar to a VAR trying stand. You'll need a dishing tool if you don't have one to ensure your wheels are centered.

Super cool!!!
Old 01-11-20, 08:01 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

before the washdown.
Now that's cool. Do you have any wheel building experience. If not, you'll have to learn now. 👍
Old 01-11-20, 08:44 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,296 Times in 3,632 Posts
Best, Ben

before the washdown.
I meant it seems that they were used for both from early on and originally came from the motorcycle industry, I don't think they had lightweight ones to begin with and the heavy duty one would have been well suited for production work as you noted.

Obviously another history lesson to be had here, I saw the same stands in bike shops and motorcycle shops in the 70's although some bike shops had light weight versions instead.
Old 01-11-20, 09:10 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
The last step to servicing my Super Course, the removing the cottered cranks to get at the bottom bracket, and...

...success!
Well, mostly success. The drive side came out fine, but the other pin deformed a bit before popping loose. I saved it by knocking it back in line, rethreading the post to 7x1mm, and then tapping a nut to match.

Here's the spindle.

Note the lack of wear! The bottom bracket area inside was like new, just old hard grease. It's all back together and ready to go.

Last edited by BFisher; 01-11-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-12-20, 10:28 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
This is awesome. It does look like a motorcycle trying stand however it also looks very similar to a VAR trying stand. You'll need a dishing tool if you don't have one to ensure your wheels are centered.

Yes, I did a check on the net and this one is heavy-duty....assuming it will work for bicycle wheels.

Super cool!!!
Originally Posted by stardognine
Now that's cool. Do you have any wheel building experience. If not, you'll have to learn now. 👍
It's on My list of things to do...but excited not to have to leave the wheel mounted on the bike to do simple truing.

[
QUOTE=merziac;21280463]I meant it seems that they were used for both from early on and originally came from the motorcycle industry, I don't think they had lightweight ones to begin with and the heavy duty one would have been well suited for production work as you noted.

Obviously another history lesson to be had here, I saw the same stands in bike shops and motorcycle shops in the 70's although some bike shops had light weight versions instead.[/QUOTE]

I think it cleaned up really well, the grease saved a lot of the original finish...maybe just leave the patina on and not repaint..thoughts?
Best, Ben

Although not completely gone the OC got most of the rust off the pieces/knobs that were chromed.

I will need to get some wing nuts and plastic washers for ease of use...the metallic paint worked wonders on the few galvanized/cad pieces (rod and conical holders.

Last edited by xiaoman1; 01-12-20 at 10:47 AM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 01-14-20, 09:39 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
"wrenching" may be the wrong expression here, but i started to clean the leather wrapped bits on my Casati... (white is an unfortunate colour for outdoor sports equipment)

Before-aft pic from the handlebars

Likes For martl:
Old 01-14-20, 08:18 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

It's on My list of things to do...but excited not to have to leave the wheel mounted on the bike to do simple truing.

[
QUOTE=merziac;21280463]I meant it seems that they were used for both from early on and originally came from the motorcycle industry, I don't think they had lightweight ones to begin with and the heavy duty one would have been well suited for production work as you noted.

Obviously another history lesson to be had here, I saw the same stands in bike shops and motorcycle shops in the 70's although some bike shops had light weight versions instead.

I think it cleaned up really well, the grease saved a lot of the original finish...maybe just leave the patina on and not repaint..thoughts?
Best, Ben

Although not completely gone the OC got most of the rust off the pieces/knobs that were chromed.

I will need to get some wing nuts and plastic washers for ease of use...the metallic paint worked wonders on the few galvanized/cad pieces (rod and conical holders. [/QUOTE]

I think it looks great. I also think it will look good either by a repaint or leaving as is. Love the colors underneath.
Old 01-14-20, 09:16 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Interesting few days

First, finally pulled out most of my packed away bike parts and started to get organized at my new house. Doesn't look like much but it was great to figure all the stuff I already own. Found out that I already had a set of chainrings that I recently bought.

Yesterday, this Dura-Ace derailleur attempted to kill me while I was test riding my Patrick Mahomie bike around. Broke off while I was standing and shifting.

Luckily because I had pulled out all those parts this weekend, I knew I had an old Shimano 600 derailleur that fit. It was the original to the bike, but it was super rusty and grimey. 30 mins with a wire brush and steel wool later and I had this. It's late when I took the pic but it's shiny and surprisingly works perfect with the 10spd drivetrain.

Current state, you can see why it's my Chiefs bike. Trued both wheels and cleaned the brakes for good measure after changing the derailleur.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.