Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for a New Mountain bike.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 01-14-20, 11:47 AM
Armyguy1914

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello good afternoon all I'm looking for a new mountain bike to ride on the trails . I don't want cheap or expensive. Pretty much a mid tier at least.

These are two i saw on bikes direct tell me what you all think. who has better drive train SRAM or Shimano? I want SRAM GX and about or Shimano SLX or Deore XT

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ikes.htm#gsize

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm
Old 01-14-20, 05:28 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
SRAM vs Shimano is not the question. The question is GX vs XT. The answer is 6 of one, half dozen of the other, though some will surely pipe in insisting that one is way better than the other.
Old 01-15-20, 07:04 AM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey how are you today? Well I been looking did you see the two bikes i posted in the links?? I like the one but its 3K and full carbon the other is 2500 and Alu frame.
I want dual shocks also. Trek and Giants same components are 4k and up
Old 01-15-20, 10:26 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
When I started looking around at full suspension I had some reservations about Bikes Direct. price point might look great but where do they cut costs to get there. Also what warranties do you get and what parts are available for non component parts ie frame parts. one downside to buying online is then you do have to go through them to get stuff parts etc. You cannot just go through the LBS to get parts. I do have to do that with my fezzari I just got. To get a derailleur hanger for instance I have to buy from them on their website. I have no experience with those bikes in particular it's just something to consider if you buy from them.
Old 01-16-20, 09:55 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
If you are looking for a new mountain bike avoid bikes direct.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...ull-suspension

Last edited by prj71; 01-16-20 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-16-20, 11:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Armyguy1914
Hey how are you today? Well I been looking did you see the two bikes i posted in the links?? I like the one but its 3K and full carbon the other is 2500 and Alu frame.
I want dual shocks also. Trek and Giants same components are 4k and up
BD does offer bikes at a pretty good price, but you need to understand the trade-offs.

First, you have to be able to basically re-build the thing yourself. Yes, they come mostly assembled, but they are not always too careful about it, and things may be over/under tightened. Plan to go over the whole thing, especially the hubs if they are cup and cone.

You are pretty much on your own regarding support. If you are good at wrenching your own stuff (like above) this may be fine.

The frame designs (both in terms of geometry and suspension design) are usually a couple few years behind the latest and greatest. This may or may not matter to you. Also, I highly doubt they are built to the specs and tolerances of higher end bikes from the likes of Giant and Trek. Do not let the fact that these may have come from the same factory fool you.

Component-wise, make SURE you are comparing apples to apples. For example, all RS Pikes are not created equal. Or Fox 34s.

Buying from BD can make sense if you keep the above in mind. But also keep in mind there is a reason more long time enthusiasts don't buy them despite the seemingly great bargains that they are. The problem is that the target is people who are relatively new to the sport, but those very same people who do not have the wrenching knowledge to make the best use of them.

If I were to go with a direct-sales company, I'd be looking at something like Canyon.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-16-20, 09:05 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I have purchased three bikes in the past couple of years. One direct and two from an LBS. I would recommend (my opinion) buying a FS mountain bike from a shop that can service and stand behind the product. Being a FS, I would expect that you most likely will be riding hard on trails putting it through the paces. Adjustments, tuning and part replacement is part of mountain biking. All the more reason for dealing with a LBS.
Old 01-16-20, 09:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
We upgraded the kid's GX 12-speed, and it works much better now. We changed the drivetrain to SLX (and an XT derailleur). The SRAM guide brakes were also a travesty. Shimano's SLX brakes were also a significant improvement.

XT is quite nice, but SLX is almost as good, and gives you arguably the best bang for the buck.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-17-20, 11:24 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I looked at the bikes direct links and they are spec'd fine. The only reasonable problem to my mind is that you can't test ride them. The bike-in-a-box assembly thing is an unknown, but at least at this level, none of the components are cheap enough that their manufacturers forgot to use grease.

Do you really want a bike this burly, though? 6" travel? These are grind uphill / fly downhill bike, good for drive-to-trail, but maybe not for long days in the saddle. The "trail" category does include less aggressive bikes. A couple of years ago this would have been an enduro bike but now those have gone even further...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-17-20, 05:15 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by onyerleft
I see three common problems with BD MTB's, which may or may not be a deal breaker depending on how picky you are: 1. Lack of BOOST; 2. 160mm rotors; and 3. Front derailleur fitments on 1x bikes (an aesthetic issue).
Both bikes he is looking at are Boost, have 180mm rotors, and at least one of them has no fitment for an FD (the other is hard to tell).
Old 01-17-20, 05:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

My comment was obviously addressed to their bikes in general. Take a class in remedial English comprehension if one is offered in your rural area.
Try going out and then walking in again without the chip on your shoulder
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-17-20, 07:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

My comment was obviously addressed to their bikes in general..
My bad, I thought you were trying to make a relevant point.
Old 01-20-20, 10:16 AM
prj71

My comment was obviously addressed to their bikes in general. Take a class in remedial English comprehension if one is offered in your rural area.
So comment on their bikes in general and not on the two bikes he posted in the links?

Old 01-23-20, 09:40 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
I don't recall the last time I've seen a BD bike on the trails. They aren't bad bikes, but resale is rather poor if it matters to you.
Old 02-27-20, 06:47 AM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

wHAT YOU GUYS THINK??

Fuel EX 8 Plus!!

Fuel EX 8 Plus is a versatile full suspension trail bike with girthy plus-sized tires for unrelenting traction. It's the perfect balance of value and performance, with a trail-tough Alpha Platinum Aluminum frame, 140mm front and 130mm rear suspension, and a wide range SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 drivetrain.
Old 02-27-20, 09:41 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Kapusta
SRAM vs Shimano is not the question. The question is GX vs XT. The answer is 6 of one, half dozen of the other, though some will surely pipe in insisting that one is way better than the other.
I'm gonna be that guy.

I hate the GX Eagle on my bike. It's literally a POS of ****. Planning on changing it over to XT. A current thread over on MTBR confirms this from others having the same problems with the GX system.
Old 02-27-20, 09:55 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Originally Posted by prj71
I'm gonna be that guy.

I hate the GX Eagle on my bike. It's literally a POS of ****. Planning on changing it over to XT. A current thread over on MTBR confirms this from others having the same problems with the GX system.
I have NX I am curious whats wrong with your GX? I keep hearing this but not much more detail beyond that they just don't like it. I've only got a few dozen rides on mine I'd like to know more about this
Old 02-27-20, 10:12 AM
prj71

It shifts for crap. Skips gears etc. Real finicky. I've been running it for 2 years now and it never worked well from day one.

Even when you get it adjusted it works OK for a while and then goes back to working like shi-t. There's a thread here with people reporting similar problems that want to switch from SRAM to Shimano.

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...y-1104249.html
Old 02-27-20, 10:24 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I'm gonna be that guy.

I figured that guy might be you.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-27-20, 10:41 AM
qclabrat

It shifts for crap. Skips gears etc. Real finicky. I've been running it for 2 years now and it never worked well from day one.

Even when you get it adjusted it works OK for a while and then goes back to working like shi-t. There's a thread here with people reporting similar problems that want to switch from SRAM to Shimano.

I run both in 11 speed. No need for Eagle so YMMV.
Like the feel of the XTR shifters better but shifts more than 2 jumps are considerably slower than the XX1 on another bike.
Everybody is on board that SRAM shifters aren't as durable, but its guys/gals who ride a lot more than me (once a week).
12 spd chains also stretch too fast and the 46T for Shimano is more than I need. So I'm fine with my options.
Race day or chasing fast group rides, I'll chose SRAM over Shimano. But is more about the right bike for the ride than drivetrain.
Old 02-27-20, 10:44 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Armyguy1914

wHAT YOU GUYS THINK??

Fuel EX 8 Plus!!

Fuel EX 8 Plus is a versatile full suspension trail bike with girthy plus-sized tires for unrelenting traction. It's the perfect balance of value and performance, with a trail-tough Alpha Platinum Aluminum frame, 140mm front and 130mm rear suspension, and a wide range SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 drivetrain.
nice bike, nothing wrong with not being carbon
I'd surely pick it over the BD bikes, though test ride before you buy.
Old 02-27-20, 10:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Well, components can be changed if you're not happy.

I think the Fuel EX looks like a pretty good bike.
Old 02-27-20, 10:48 AM
carlosponti

this might sound like a dumb question but have you checked your derailleur hanger to make sure its straight? I will say since the NX vs GX uses a different shifter and derailleur it might be why I've not had problems but then those people in the link didn't like how the shifter felt even on nx. plus mine isn't that old maybe even now mine is an updated model from when the 12 speed eagle came out. I hope that holds to be true and I don't wind up with issues down the road where it wont shift worth a damn.
Old 02-27-20, 11:00 AM
qclabrat

quick compare of the two bikes over lunch, pay attention to the geometries.
Very different, over an inch stack difference in concert with ETT and reach.
That's sort of the buyer beware issue with BD bikes, unless you have a bike very close in geo, it's hard to judge the feel on the trails.
They might be perfect, and depends if 2500 is disposable if it doesn't fit. New bikes leaving the store always depreciates more than you expect.

BD bike in Large
- ETT 608
- Reach 430
- Stack 643
- HTA 67

Trek in large
- ETT 633
- Reach 454
- Stack 612
- HTA 66.6

Trek in ML
- ETT 618
- Reach 439
- Stack 612
- HTA 66.6
Old 02-28-20, 07:02 AM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good morning Folks well I been looking and now I'm hearing about SRAM GX drive train. Its hard to Find a XT or XTR that a good pre-owned in 12 Speed. I see more SRAM @12 speed though. I found one that has XT but its 11 speed. On a trail do you really need that extra gear?? let me know what you guys think about this ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.