Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 02-18-20, 12:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
To whom it may concern,

People are weird.

Respectfully,

Rjones28
Speaking of respect,
For a fun drinking game, watch Designated Survivor, and have everyone down a shot whenever a character says "With all due respect"
Old 02-18-20, 01:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am not in the loop. Apparently both closed just over 1 month ago. Still sad.
From what I read in a Facebook post the owner put everything he had into it but could not make it work.
Old 02-18-20, 01:26 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
From what I read in a Facebook post the owner put everything he had into it but could not make it work.
Q: How do you make a million dollars with a bike shop/cafe?
A: Start with 2 million.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-18-20, 02:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I have a "funny" problem on the Roubaix, I wonder if anyone has some suggestions.

Issue is the FD sometimes takes some time to drop from big ring to little ring. It invariably is well into a ride, it NEVER happens in the first hour on the road. But an hour or two into a ride, it will sometimes take a few seconds or even several seconds to finally drop onto the small ring. I checked the cable and pivot points, all are nice and smooth/lubed. In the stand, it shifts up/down crisply. Even if I put it in the big ring at night, next morning it will drop onto the small ring without delay.

Any ideas???
Old 02-18-20, 02:21 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I have a "funny" problem on the Roubaix, I wonder if anyone has some suggestions.

Issue is the FD sometimes takes some time to drop from big ring to little ring. It invariably is well into a ride, it NEVER happens in the first hour on the road. But an hour or two into a ride, it will sometimes take a few seconds or even several seconds to finally drop onto the small ring. I checked the cable and pivot points, all are nice and smooth/lubed. In the stand, it shifts up/down crisply. Even if I put it in the big ring at night, next morning it will drop onto the small ring without delay.

Any ideas???
Check the cable guide on the bottom bracket. Had a similar problem, found a glob of pine pitch.
Old 02-18-20, 02:48 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts

Any ideas???
Can you see if the derailleur end of the cable goes slack next time? If not, cable; if so, mech.
Old 02-18-20, 04:46 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I learned about gripshifters today. Sram, I think. How to re cable. And rebuild. A lot simpler than the last one I looked at lo those many years ago

Last edited by seedsbelize; 02-18-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 05:06 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
We had a candidate for a highly competitive training position this year who we eliminated from consideration because one of his referees characterized his behavior in the clinic as ‘sychophantic groveling mixed with passive aggressive arrogance’. Wow good to know.

(I would personally have refused to write a letter for the fellow if that’s what I was planning to say. But that’s just me.)

Of course the candidate contacted us after the fact to express surprise that he didn’t get the position, he was so confident his interview had gone well. He ‘requested’ an explanation.

”The applicant pool was very strong this year. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.”
. . . “and **** off, arrogant prick.”
Old 02-18-20, 05:14 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by indyfabz
That’s cuz @datlas never bought nothing when he stopped by for a rest. Sad.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 02-18-20, 05:31 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
This winter seems to be dragging. I'm ready for warm temps and sweet young thangs in bikinis. As a reminder that there are still people out there having fun in the sun, I've been watching sailing videos. The link is of one such group of friends who have been sailing around the world for a number of years. In the video they anchor off a deserted tropical island in the Indian Ocean.
Old 02-18-20, 05:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Can you see if the derailleur end of the cable goes slack next time? If not, cable; if so, mech.
May be a challenge. Happens when riding and lasts 10-30 seconds so by the time I stop to check, it’s over. But riding the Roubaix tomorrow, will try to observe.
Old 02-18-20, 06:23 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked 3,562 Times in 1,228 Posts
I went on a ride and did not coast. I tried to once. It didn't work.

Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-18-20, 07:13 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
May be a challenge. Happens when riding and lasts 10-30 seconds so by the time I stop to check, it’s over. But riding the Roubaix tomorrow, will try to observe.
I had a bottle of fruit punch in a bottle that only leaked a few drops. It went down to the BB and then around to the BB cable guide.
It got into the small space between the BB shell and the top of the cable guide. It dripped down to the cable where it touches the guide and would cause sticking. I would clean off what I saw, and then go for a ride and the punch would come back to the cable again. If you're careful and make both cables slack by shifting without spinning the pedals, you should have enough slack to very carefully unbolt the guide and clean the top of the guide, and where it was on the BB shell. Get a lot of slack by putting the chain in the big big position, then click without pedaling all the way to the end of the cogs and rings. Wipe the cables down where they slide in the groove, and the groove.

If there is nothing else wrong with your shifting, you can go back later slacken the cables again, and, use the tip of a pencil and rub the sides and bottom of the groove and the cable all over. If there's nothing else wrong you might get the best shifting you ever had. It wears off in a few long rides, but you can reapply the graphite as much as you want. Over time the cable can wear a half pipe shape under were the cable goes, and more of the cable is hitting the guide creating more friction. A new guide is an easy way to get better shifting if the old one is worn.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 02-18-20 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 07:58 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I had a bottle of fruit punch in a bottle that only leaked a few drops. It went down to the BB and then around to the BB cable guide.
It got into the small space between the BB shell and the top of the cable guide. It dripped down to the cable where it touches the guide and would cause sticking. I would clean off what I saw, and then go for a ride and the punch would come back to the cable again. If you're careful and make both cables slack by shifting without spinning the pedals, you should have enough slack to very carefully unbolt the guide and clean the top of the guide, and where it was on the BB shell. Get a lot of slack by putting the chain in the big big position, then click without pedaling all the way to the end of the cogs and rings. Wipe the cables down where they slide in the groove, and the groove.

If there is nothing else wrong with your shifting, you can go back later slacken the cables again, and, use the tip of a pencil and rub the sides and bottom of the groove and the cable all over. If there's nothing else wrong you might get the best shifting you ever had. It wears off in a few long rides, but you can reapply the graphite as much as you want. Over time the cable can wear a half pipe shape under were the cable goes, and more of the cable is hitting the guide creating more friction. A new guide is an easy way to get better shifting if the old one is worn.
Thanks. I looked carefully and the guide under BB looks clean and smooth, but I saw some crud/debris in the track above BB where cable goes through BB shell. I cleaned it out with some citrus degreaser abs put a couple drops of fresh chain lube on the cable so it would drip down. Maybe that will help. Will report on results after tomorrow’s ride.
Old 02-18-20, 08:11 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
BTW, we got an offer on the boat. Kind of a lowball offer so it’s unclear how motivated the (potential) buyers are. Some other guy flew in from out of town to look at her, and now he’s flying back in with his wife. Supposedly this week.

Broker says there’s a third party sniffing around but no set plan to come take a look.

Weird because weve we’ve only had three parties look at it in 3 months on the market and now three in a week.

I guess people are itching to go sailing. #springiscoming
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 02-19-20, 03:55 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
BTW, we got an offer on the boat. Kind of a lowball offer so it’s unclear how motivated the (potential) buyers are. Some other guy flew in from out of town to look at her, and now he’s flying back in with his wife. Supposedly this week.

Broker says there’s a third party sniffing around but no set plan to come take a look.

Weird because weve we’ve only had three parties look at it in 3 months on the market and now three in a week.

I guess people are itching to go sailing. #springiscoming
You know how the saying goes. The two best days of a boat owner's life, the they buy it, and the day they sell it.
Good luck with the sail.
Old 02-19-20, 05:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Thanks. I looked carefully and the guide under BB looks clean and smooth, but I saw some crud/debris in the track above BB where cable goes through BB shell. I cleaned it out with some citrus degreaser abs put a couple drops of fresh chain lube on the cable so it would drip down. Maybe that will help. Will report on results after tomorrow’s ride.
I have had a FD cable get very sticky there too, even without fruit punch. It responded well to a dab of vintage Campagnolo grease.
Old 02-19-20, 05:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

New, grown-up, rhetorical gambit for discussing bike purchases with long-suffering spouse: “I’ll spare you the self-serving arguments and tiresome rationalizations.” Totally worked this morning.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-19-20, 06:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

New, grown-up, rhetorical gambit for discussing bike purchases with long-suffering spouse: “I’ll spare you the self-serving arguments and tiresome rationalizations.” Totally worked this morning.
Kudos.

What are you getting??
Old 02-19-20, 06:41 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Found a free shimano 9 speed cassette

First day back at button school today. Nervous as hell, more because I have no Idea what to expect than anything. It really sucks when you are studying an airplane, and the one you flew previous keeps popping into mind. Other than the fact they had wings nothing about them is similar.

Have a great day everybody.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-19-20, 06:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
When do the wheels arrive?
Old 02-19-20, 07:18 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked 3,562 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Found a free shimano 9 speed cassette

First day back at button school today. Nervous as hell, more because I have no Idea what to expect than anything. It really sucks when you are studying an airplane, and the one you flew previous keeps popping into mind. Other than the fact they had wings nothing about them is similar.

Have a great day everybody.
Good luck!

Just remember, they selected you to fly it, so they're obviously confident that you'll be able to learn it!
Old 02-19-20, 07:20 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Good luck!

Just remember, they selected you to fly it, so they're obviously confident that you'll be able to learn it!
thanks!
Old 02-19-20, 07:23 AM
BillyD
Administrator

I have that issue with photography stuff, not cycling stuff.
Old 02-19-20, 07:24 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Kudos.

What are you getting??
Originally Posted by WhyFi
When do the wheels arrive?
I have only begun clearing the mental way to getting them.

They are still in the possession of the wheeler-dealer guy who sold me the R3. He lives only a mile away and actually has three new wheel sets for sale: PRC 1450 (1075), 1400 (1300), and 1100 (1500). Much to think about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.