Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica CA 2020!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica CA 2020!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 09:40 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
No quandry. If you can't do both, do Cino. It's sooooooooooooooooooooo much better. I like Eroica, it's great to see everybody, but it's rather impersonal, whereas Cino is much more intimate.
Listen to the Gugieman.

Cino. Bet'cha can't ride just one
Old 04-09-20, 10:47 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Listen to the Gugieman.

Cino. Bet'cha can't ride just one
Hey, I learnt it from you, bruddah.
Old 04-10-20, 03:47 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
A week before L’Eroica Gaiole. Either it sets up for a fantastic week or so of vintage riding or some travel headaches. Right now my thoughts are to do them both, would be an epic week, provided the world is in a safer and better spot in 6 months.

I sent an email to the organizers to ask if Gaiole was set for the first weekend of October. Who knows if any events will happen in Italy.

Glad to have a new date for CA. September weather in the Central Coast will be great, hardly any chance of rain.

Anyone else considering doing Italy and CA?
Old 04-15-20, 05:23 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
I'm not 100% confident that Eroica CA will actually take place in September. In California we are now talking about banning mass gathering events for the balance of the year.
Old 04-16-20, 05:32 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
I'm not 100% confident that Eroica CA will actually take place in September. In California we are now talking about banning mass gathering events for the balance of the year.
This is tough. I also suspect that it will not happen. If it does happen, it also seems likely that attendance will be down. Since I have been planning to attend as a vendor, not a rider, it probably doesn't make sense for me to attend under those circumstances--even apart from very real concerns about spreading the virus around.

I haven't yet made a decision, obviously, but my inclination is to stay home and hope for better days and a successful event next spring.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 04-16-20, 06:10 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I just watched the mayor of Los Angeles last night and the Governor. It seems that unless there is a vaccine or some type of herd immunity, it ain’t happening. The talk was regarding sporting events and concerts. We are expecting a second or third wave of this thing by fall. If there are still cases showing up, there will be no events. The state and local authorities have made it clear.
Old 04-16-20, 08:04 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
Been riding my Stella with Gravel King 35's, and looking forward to Cino before going into solitary. Now will likely stay home. Don.
Old 04-16-20, 09:33 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Assuming the ride is cancelled, which is highly likely, if anyone wants to put on some wool and ride the coastal route with me (safe distance of course), look me up.
Likes For keithdunlop:
Old 04-17-20, 06:45 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Man, you guys are bringing me down. I know that this is for the long haul, but the September date was a ray of hope for me. Even that seems so long away. That being said, I have been using the stay at home order as an excuse to sit in my easy chair watching TV when not at work. (wife and I are "essential", so no rest for us!). No indoor or outdoor riding, just being lazy. The county health officials have given the green light for long bike rides as long as social distancing is employed. Since I ride alone or with my wife these days, this is not an issue.
On the plus side, I have the Masi a bar tape job away from being ready, so I think I will get her out Sunday for a nice 20 miler to see how I let my fitness go to hell! Maybe I will do repeats on our one hill as punishment now that I have the gearing lowered from 1980's pro gearing to modern weekend warrior gearing!
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 04-18-20, 03:22 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
Assuming the ride is cancelled, which is highly likely, if anyone wants to put on some wool and ride the coastal route with me (safe distance of course), look me up.
Originally Posted by mgopack42
Man, you guys are bringing me down. I know that this is for the long haul, but the September date was a ray of hope for me. Even that seems so long away. That being said, I have been using the stay at home order as an excuse to sit in my easy chair watching TV when not at work. (wife and I are "essential", so no rest for us!). No indoor or outdoor riding, just being lazy. The county health officials have given the green light for long bike rides as long as social distancing is employed. Since I ride alone or with my wife these days, this is not an issue.
On the plus side, I have the Masi a bar tape job away from being ready, so I think I will get her out Sunday for a nice 20 miler to see how I let my fitness go to hell! Maybe I will do repeats on our one hill as punishment now that I have the gearing lowered from 1980's pro gearing to modern weekend warrior gearing!
Friends, I share your concerns and roller coaster emotions. For now, we wait, and try to stay healthy and fit. Riding inside on a trainer, or getting out for occasional rides, walking, anything to keep going - fitness means more reserve in case a health issue occurs. Healthy lungs, heart, circulatory system means improved immune system. Hint, hint! I have heard that if riding in a group, some have suggested 20M or 60 ft. separation - I'm assuming that's drafting single file because at 15 mph, you can cover a lot of ground in a couple of seconds. I'd suggest if you were riding in an angled or cross wind, you might be a little tighter. I have ridden with a regular surgical face mask during cold weather, it wasn't bad for me but I'm pretty used to wearing a mask in my career, and at home now.

The state and local officials will be calling the shots regarding gatherings, and yes, September is a long way away - 5 months+ ! So let's keep positive, keep fit, a lot of love and encouragement to be sent out to friends, family, colleagues, and our communities. We can discuss how we are keeping fit, what we are still working on, and how to remain ready if and when Eroica 2020 actually happens. Us who are Classic and Vintage didn't get that way by giving up on anything!!

Bart
Old 06-29-20, 10:36 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 146 Posts
So as I can continue to hope that Eroica California actually happens this September. I was checking the myeroica page this morning, and it does not indicate that I am registered for the event. I still have the email confirmation from when I originally sent my payment...which seems so long ago. Anyone else have this issue?
Likes For velomateo:
Old 06-29-20, 11:19 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Cino

the other in 2021 - about 6 months later?
I think this is truth. Worry about 2021. We're in this for the long haul.
Old 06-29-20, 02:48 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
It shows me registered for both Nova and Eroica long routes! I better start riding my bikes!

look in "registration summary history"
Old 06-29-20, 09:38 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
It shows me registered for both Nova and Eroica long routes! I better start riding my bikes!

look in "registration summary history"
Thanks, I'll give it a look.
Old 06-30-20, 08:21 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Keep the faith and be ready. I think if the cases of the virus continue to rise, it may not happen. I am riding a lot by myself and staying in top shape for a 65 year old. I will go only if it is safe to do so , maybe just for the swap meet and pick up my bag. Of course if I get that far I would probably not be able to keep myself from riding. Last year was great and the scenery was beyond belief! I am doing some minor work on the Medici ( Pantograph handle bars and a Super Record RD ) right now and that will be my Eroica bike whether it is in September or April of next year. Joe
Old 07-01-20, 12:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I think this is truth. Worry about 2021. We're in this for the long haul.
Right now, just before the July 4th holiday in California, things are sensibly being walked back, even Orange County appears they will close the bars and beaches (this weekend).

Bummer on Cino this year. Sensible.
Likes For repechage: