Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Built my first practice wheel today

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-20, 08:11 PM
cb400

Bikes: 1990 Rocky Mountain Hammer, 19(7?)?Le Croco, 2000 Mikado Magellan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

It's not perfectly straight or round being built from all a rim with a borderline unusable flat spot and thump. Good practice for making sure I can accurately calculate rim ERD, get correct length spokes from spocalc, and build a useable wheel. Yes that is an upside down bike, the bars are rotated so that only the to be replaced bar tape touches the ground and the seat was 10$.

I was wondering when lacing about the point where the hub can be turned clockwise or counter-clockwise, is there a wrong way to turn it?
Also, am I correct in assuming that getting a wheel true and round is a lot easier with a rim that started out straight and round?

Last edited by cb400; 06-02-20 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-02-20, 08:25 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Damaged parts like your rim will make a perfect wheel impossible.
Old 06-02-20, 08:28 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Depending upon keyhole.

If I lay rim flat on a table, with valve stem opposite of me, away from me where I can clearly see it:

If second hole to the left of valve stem hole is lower (closer to table surface)...then that is my keyhole. I will start there, and turn hub COUNTER-CLOCKWISE when ready for the second set of spokes.

If it is the second hole to the right of the valve stem hole that is lower (closer to table surface)...then that is my keyhole. I will start there, and turn hub CLOCKWISE when ready for second set of spokes.

If the rim clearly has centerline drilling, I just go ahead and start second hole to left of valve stem, and twist hub counter-clockwise as a matter of habit.

=8-)

If

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 06-02-20, 09:06 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400
I was wondering when lacing about the point where the hub can be turned clockwise or counter-clockwise, is there a wrong way to turn it?
Also, am I correct in assuming that getting a wheel true and round is a lot easier with a rim that started out straight and round?
Loads easier typically, getting a round, straight wheel with a damaged rim is an exercise in frustration that should be avoided.
If I have all the spokes on the outside of the flanges installed and wanted to turn the hub (I don't, I build with pairs of spokes all preinstalled in the hub) I would rotate the hub clockwise so that the spokes were pulling the rim around.
Old 06-02-20, 11:29 PM
cb400

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Depending upon keyhole.

If I lay rim flat on a table, with valve stem opposite of me, away from me where I can clearly see it:

If second hole to the left of valve stem hole is lower (closer to table surface)...then that is my keyhole. I will start there, and turn hub COUNTER-CLOCKWISE when ready for the second set of spokes.

If it is the second hole to the right of the valve stem hole that is lower (closer to table surface)...then that is my keyhole. I will start there, and turn hub CLOCKWISE when ready for second set of spokes.

If the rim clearly has centerline drilling, I just go ahead and start second hole to left of valve stem, and twist hub counter-clockwise as a matter of habit.

=8-)

If
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Loads easier typically, getting a round, straight wheel with a damaged rim is an exercise in frustration that should be avoided.
If I have all the spokes on the outside of the flanges installed and wanted to turn the hub (I don't, I build with pairs of spokes all preinstalled in the hub) I would rotate the hub clockwise so that the spokes were pulling the rim around.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, the guide I followed had the key spoke on the right of the valve hole for both types of offset but differing in placement of the first spoke. What is the goal of turning it one way or the other?

I thought building it might also build some character. I also built it onto an early shimano uniglide freehub that doesn't currently function properly and can't be upgraded to a modern freehub body
Old 06-03-20, 11:16 AM
mrrabbit 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, the guide I followed had the key spoke on the right of the valve hole for both types of offset but differing in placement of the first spoke. What is the goal of turning it one way or the other?

I thought building it might also build some character. I also built it onto an early shimano uniglide freehub that doesn't currently function properly and can't be upgraded to a modern freehub body

Like I said, place a rim flat, with a view of the valve stem.

Check the 2nd holes to the right and the left.

That hole determines which way you twist the hub after the first quarter set of spokes.

Left Side = Counter Clockwise
Right Side = Clockwise

When I finally make a complete video of a wheel build, I'll include this.

I've lost count of how many times a wheelbuilder I know has tried to blame the hub when a build doesn't work out, to which I always ask: "Did you check the rim first?"

=8-|

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 06-03-20, 01:25 PM
cb400

Ahhh I see so the starting place can be independent of the twist. Then I will also have to start in the 3rd hole counter clockwise of the hub logo to make it look fancy, and make sure the writing is facing the correct direction on both the rim and hub. Starting the build now results soon.

Last edited by cb400; 06-03-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 02:06 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I was taught to build wheels using The techniques described by Roger Musson. That pretty much agrees with what's been said. With the rim on my lap, valve hole away from me, if the first spoke hole to the left on the valve hole is higher that valve hole, that's my "key hole". Musson refers to rims with spoke holes offset this was as "Type 1" and the vast majority of rims are made this way. If the hub has a label, the first right sided spoke goes through the flange hole (intended cross pattern - 1) holes to the left of the hole opposite the center of the hub label. This aligns things so the hub label is visible directly through the valve hole. It's a cosmetic thing mainly, but it does make finding the valve hole easier. I try to keep track of how many turns I put on each nipple as I lace the wheel making sure they all start from approximately the same tension.

Last edited by bmcer; 06-03-20 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 06-03-20, 02:37 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
1. When I build a wheel I lace the pulling spokes heads out. A long time ago somebody convinced me that was the best way to do it and I've never changed. I also lace the heads out spokes on both sides first because it's easier to drop the heads in spokes into a partially laced wheel.

2. It's much easier to keep a rim round than it is to pull it into true during the tensioning process. When I tension a wheel I start by putting my thumbnail into the last spoke thread and tighten the nipple up with a nipple driver until my thumbnail bottoms out. I complete the tensioning process by counting turns on each individual spoke. That tensions the spokes evenly and keeps the rim round. I once built a wheel that, after I finished tensioning it this way, needed no radial nor lateral truing at all.
Old 06-03-20, 08:11 PM
cb400

I think that's good enough for a used rim. I followed the tips about the spoke threading and it worked quite well as a starting point. I can see how it would make building a wheel with all new parts go much more quickly, it must be the only way to do it professionally in a reasonable time frame.

I still have to read more about the direction of spokes and location of key spoke and hub twisting until it all clicks. For this one I managed to follow the guides and got everything in the right place through a little trial and error.
Old 06-03-20, 08:31 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
I was taught to build wheels using The techniques described by Roger Musson.
This ^^.
Musson's book is inexpensive and easy to follow. I've built a few wheels that have worked out well.
Old 06-05-20, 10:31 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
This ^^.
Musson's book is inexpensive and easy to follow. I've built a few wheels that have worked out well.
If you do a bit of Googling, you can probably find his guide as a free downloadable PDF. Not as detailed or in depth as Brandt's treatise, but more than adequate, IMHO, for most shade tree builders.
Old 06-05-20, 01:25 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
If you do a bit of Googling, you can probably find his guide as a free downloadable PDF.
Even easier: Here it is. It's an "honor system" thing about paying for it, but it's quite reasonable.
I printed mine out and had it spiral bound for easy reference and annotation.
Old 06-07-20, 10:12 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I like Gerd Schraener's method of spoking a wheel. The wheel ends up with the pulling spokes' heads in as recommended by Mavic. It's in his book "The Art of Wheel Building"
Old 06-07-20, 02:21 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by davidad
I like Gerd Schraener's method of spoking a wheel. The wheel ends up with the pulling spokes' heads in as recommended by Mavic. It's in his book "The Art of Wheel Building" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MLyw7LiCLc
That's how 90% of my builds go, head in, elbows out - outside pulling spokes.

=8-)

Disclaimer: