Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Marinoni Puma, 52cm

Old 07-17-20, 04:05 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Marinoni Puma, 52cm

I am on my way to buy this Marinoni Puma. Any idea what the value is? I plan to sell the bike as soon as I get it. Look for it soon in the For Sale column. Anyway, what do you think it is worth..?

Old 07-17-20, 06:12 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I sold a Piuma with Daytona 9 speed in pristine condition for a grand about a year ago or so. It was in the Toronto market so that has to be accounted for.

Last edited by blakcloud; 07-18-20 at 05:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-17-20, 09:21 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Marinoni still makes the Piuma if you want to get an idea about what it sold for when new. Hard to tell from the photo which components that one has, maybe Centaur
Old 07-17-20, 12:27 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Well, I bought the Marinoni and was more than surprised to discover that it is not a 52cm, as advertised. Nope, between 54 and 55, just my size. Pooey-stinko! I do not need another bike but this one is kinda nice and, as I no longer have a Canadian bike - what am I saying. I do NOT need another bike, so this one will soon be looking for a new home. So, any help in helping me define a fair value would be much appreciated. The bike is going up for sale this evening or tomorrow (at least that was my plan until I discovered that the bike is my size).

Anyway, the Marinoni is presented here "as found", dust and all. I have not even pumped up the tires although they do appear to be properly pressurized.

Here is a bit more information to assist in appraising the Marinoni. Mechanically, just fine but, needless to say, in need of a tune up and a lube job. Cosmetically, the paint is chipped but the art is pretty good. The paint colors are solid and easy to match up. A bit of touch up and the bike will look pretty darn good. The Puma...

Between 54 and 55cm (c-c) on the seat tube. Ready to ride as soon as I install a set of SPD peds...

Tested in the stand and everything works and appears to spin sans wobble or hop...

Cannot say that I know much about the tubing but I was surprised to see the chrome plated drive side stay...

At first, I though the cassette to be an eight speed, but closer inspection revealed nine speed. I was impressed with the Mavic hubs/rims and...

this is the first bike that I ever owned with bladed spokes...

The pedals are not original and the seller could not find the original ones. I do intend to go back and ask her (yup, bike was owned by a little old lady - honest!) to take a look for me when she has more time...

Except for the hairs on the rear tire, they look to be in pretty good shape. Will take the bike for a spin, after a more thorough inspection to ensure it safe to ride, and have little fear of tire failure...

The cosmetics are not prefect and two bad spots do present themselves. The first is from poor bike carrier storage/transportation and not visible unless you look under the bike. The second is on the non-drive chain stay. The good thing is that the art is quite goo and the colors, being solid, will be easy to match (my opinion)...
Old 07-17-20, 01:00 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
I'm thinking around $800ish Canadian. But this is based on the Vancouver-area used market and people are asking and receiving plenty of loonies for their used bicycles.
Old 07-17-20, 02:26 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
I saw this on Kijiji and actually thought about contacting you to facilitate it for me but I thought it was a triple.

Nice bike, the paint scheme is really cool.
Old 07-17-20, 02:41 PM
randyjawa 

I saw this on Kijiji and actually thought about contacting you to facilitate it for me but I thought it was a triple.
I jumped on the bike as quickly as I could! Last week, I checked out a Bianchi with Campy Record and Mavic SSC fitted. Thought that, knowing that the old road bike market in Thunder Bay is, except for me, non-existent. Figured, wait a few days and try a lower offer. Oops! Bike was gone the next day...

Looks like the virus is helping to chase the cool old rides out of their hidden places. Seen several old roadies offered lately, but only two that blew my kilt up.
Old 07-17-20, 07:59 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Just to ask what is the likely carbon fork on the bike can't really tell from the pic's the actual fork could make difference in value? I if it is a just OK fork at about $500 if it's a top end fork I would put value at $600 or so.
Old 07-17-20, 08:20 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Just to ask what is the likely carbon fork on the bike can't really tell from the pic's the actual fork could make difference in value? I if it is a just OK fork at about $500 if it's a top end fork I would put value at $600 or so.
Marinoni would have used a good quality fork at the time they built that bike. Since the fork matches the paint scheme of the bike, it is original. The fork is not a determining factor for the selling price of the bike. the mostly Daytona components put this bike at the low end of the Piuma lineup, but it is still a quality steel bike that could roll on for decades to come
Old 07-17-20, 08:24 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

I would agree yet it seem's buyers are more willing to pay better price if you can ID and state specifically what fork is on the bike and that it is top if carbon.
Old 07-17-20, 08:25 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I jumped on the bike as quickly as I could! Last week, I checked out a Bianchi with Campy Record and Mavic SSC fitted. Thought that, knowing that the old road bike market in Thunder Bay is, except for me, non-existent. Figured, wait a few days and try a lower offer. Oops! Bike was gone the next day...

Looks like the virus is helping to chase the cool old rides out of their hidden places. Seen several old roadies offered lately, but only two that blew my kilt up.
The old adage snooze, you lose comes into play, especially if considering a lower offer.

Regarding the Marinoni, looks very nice. Cleaned up as you usually do, I'd say easy $700-750 USD or equivalent. I suggest you do your clean up and ride it for a few days/weeks, just to be sure it works well and you don't get any issues with it. You might even consider putting some newer tires on it to see how it feels with more modern rubber. Too bad its your size, but I'm sure after riding it and making sure its good to go, you'll easily part with it....maybe. Good luck!
Old 07-17-20, 08:32 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by zukahn1
I would agree yet it seem's buyers are more willing to pay better price if you can ID and state specifically what fork is on the bike and that it is top if carbon.
I am racking my mind trying to remember what forks Marinoni was using back then, probably Italian, but certainly not some unknown offshore brand that nobody has heard of. Marinoni has dealt with Italian companies like Cinelli and Columbus since they started out in business. An original fork is much more a plus than a minus
Old 07-18-20, 11:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
A Piuma with Columbus Foco would be very late 1990s to very early 2000s but OEM Campagnolo Daytona would a narrow that down to 2000-2001. This is right around the time that the Piuma switched from an EVO carbon fibre fork, to a Coumbus Carve carbon fibre fork. At the time, the Thermacrom alloy used in Foco was Columbus' most exotic steel and Foco was exceeded only by UltraFoco. However, Columbus was heavily into aluminum tubing at the time, with five aluminum tubesets that were lighter than Foco. .

It appears that the bicycle has a replacement crankset and wheels. It's hard for me to price things in Covid-19 world, asthere is a wide range of market effect, but pre-pandemic I would have priced this at about $800 CDN in an average CDN market. Original MSRP would have been around $2750 CDN.
Old 07-18-20, 02:31 PM
randyjawa 

Thanks everyone for you help with appraisal. I had no idea what the bike is worth (I am into older machines, these days).

Though I had other things that needed doing (finish stacking the birch firewood), I spent some time working on the Marinoni, preparing it for a short test ride. Well, as usual, the short test ride turned into a longer test ride Just got back a short while ago, snapped the cap on a Bush Ice and am about to partake of Bush's bud(dy). The Marinoni proved to be a pretty nice bike to ride and though that I might share a pic or two. Sorry, I do not own a white garage door...

Though advertised as a 52cm, the actual 55cm offered a good fit and comfortable cock-pit that seemed, pretty much built just for me. I do need to adjust saddle tilt but could not bring myself to stop to do so. Perhaps tomorrow...

The wide gear range proved to be more than manageable for my old and damaged legs. I have bikes with tight gears and they are just not enjoyable for me to ride anymore...

I am not at all sure that I like the color scheme but it does seem to be growing on me. I just might take a shot at touching up the paint...

Without paying too much attention, I first thought the bike to have an aluminum frame. I was wrong and was surprised to find that the magnet stuck to the frame. The fork, however is a different story...

All in all, not a bad bike and, perhaps one worth keeping for a season or two. I do, however, have to buy a new bath tub and shower surround. Hope nothing else, in the vintage bike category, shows up tomorrow, dump day two and four dumps to visit. Yahoo!
Old 07-19-20, 03:57 PM
zukahn1 

Top end hardened steel alloy frame sets with nicer carbon forks from the late 90's some of the nicest riding bikes and have great climbing and braking characteristics.
Old 07-20-20, 03:31 PM
randyjawa 

Well, test ridden and adjusted to optimize fit, the Marinoni is done. Glad to get rid of that ugly pastel bar tape. All in all, a bike that I would like to keep as my main rider. Will toss the idea of seeking a new home for the bike around for a day or so. Sadly, every ride makes the idea of letting this lovely old Canadian more difficult...
Old 07-20-20, 04:21 PM
alcjphil

Kind of a nice dilemma to have. On the one hand you have a nice riding attractive bike, and on the other, with the work you put in you have a bike that you can sell at a decent price. The only problem is, that it may be a bit too expensive for casual people looking for a bike during the Covid crisis
Bike looks great by the way
Old 07-20-20, 08:49 PM
zukahn1 

After the very nice fix up which I rate as big premium since I know it was done right by randyjawa I would put the current value at $800-900. Which is a tough get local sale there is one good chance of selling it if you want very good chance a BF member may buy this bike at this price with shipping if you need to sell otherwise to me this is keeper bike. Chances of value selling the bike local on kiji are pretty slim, CL basically none and ebay just maybe.
So I your just stuck with one of the nicest riding road bikes ever made that is hand made Canadian Not so bad IMHO.

Last edited by zukahn1; 07-20-20 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 03:39 AM
randyjawa 

You know the last bike that I bought myself was the sixties something Torpado Professional, a bike picked up in Winnipeg as my wife and I made our way home from Jamaica, fleeing from the virus (more scary was human panic). Before the Torpado, I had not bought myself anything nice for a couple of years, the last purchase my 1958 Rabeneick 120d that is still waiting for art and the last coats of clear lacquer. So...

I will keep the bike for a while. I am not completely broke (by broke I mean this month's "have-funny-money" is gone but next month restarts the flow to no dough, same as always). so why not treat myself? And what a nice treat. I will work towards getting a proper crank set and even do some blue and yellow touch-up work. The Legnano and Torpado are gonna be wall art for a while, I guess, and that is OK with me. Either of those two will be perfect for the special go slower that I usually do - especially up the hills on the old cottage road...