Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thru Axle specialized roubaix/ roval c38

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 05:30 PM
Jaap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got my specialized roubaix delivered in a box today and needs some assembly. Having difficulties with the axle

Roubaix expert 2020 with roval c 38 disc DT swiss 350 hubs. Are these non quick release axle or thru axles?
I am missing a lever to fix
Why is the end cap sealed/ closed. Do I need to remove this
why isnt the axle long enough to enterily go through the fork, the axle stops where the thread start

I havent ordered anything special , what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Jaap; 07-27-20 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 06:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
From the manual, it looks the the TA doesn't have a lever but takes a 6mm hex to tighten - not terribly unusual. As far as the length of the TA, it's also not unusual for the fork/stays to be slightly splayed, but they get drawn together as you tighten the TA.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-28-20, 06:14 AM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Yes, 6mm and 15 Nm on the torque, not quick release. I found out early on the torque value matters as I hand tightened it probably only to about 10-ish. A bit of a rattle and the disc brakes just wouldn't quiet down. At a measured 15 it got all nice and quiet. Also on the rear, the cog slips off surprisingly easily. Makes hub lube job very convenient. Absolutely love mine! Enjoy the ride!
Old 07-28-20, 11:33 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
With respect, given the questions you are asking might be a good idea to have a bike shop assemble your bike?
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-28-20, 08:01 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I would say that the through axle is not my favorite innovation. Too many different types, not straightforward, not quick, requires a torque wrench? No, not for me. And while I like the disc brakes that I rode on a rental, modern dual pivot rim brakes also work well.
Old 07-28-20, 10:10 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I would say that the through axle is not my favorite innovation. Too many different types, not straightforward, not quick, requires a torque wrench? No, not for me. And while I like the disc brakes that I rode on a rental, modern dual pivot rim brakes also work well.
I love through axles. Can’t get much more straight forward...it’s a bolt for crying out loud. Maybe takes a couple of seconds longer than a QR. QR wheels can slip in the drop outs a bit...that doesn’t happen with through axle. With tubeless tires I’ve never had to remove a through axle on the road, but all it takes is an Allen wrench or multi tool. I’ve never torqued my through axles with a torque wrench...just by feel.

Disk brakes are great too.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-28-20, 10:14 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaap
Are these non quick release axle or thru axles?
I am missing a lever to fix
Why is the end cap sealed/ closed. Do I need to remove this
why isnt the axle long enough to enterily go through the fork, the axle stops where the thread start

I havent ordered anything special , what am I doing wrong?
Yes, through axles. Not sure what end cap you’re talking about. The axle doesn’t need to go all the way through the other side of the fork...it stops flush.

Some through axles have a lever. Some don’t. As others have said, your Roubaix should use a 6mm Allen key.