Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does A Base Layer Keep A Rider Cooler in Hot Weather

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does A Base Layer Keep A Rider Cooler in Hot Weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 08:16 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I am in the wearing a base layer camp. Specifically the Under Armour Heat Gear. I like the compression aspect of the layer. That said, I am not riding in 30+ degree heat. But for the riding around here, and the riding that I do, I find the base layer does a good job of keeping me cool.
Old 07-31-20, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
If you read my other posts in this thread, I'm not at all convinced that a base layer is cooler. But whatever you are going to do, it is counter-productive to wick away drops of sweat rather than allowing them to evaporate against your skin or in a soaked layer that is against your skin.

BTW, even in 80% humidity, evaporation of sweat is your friend. Right next to the sweat droplet, the relative humidity is 100%, so interaction between moist (80% humid) air, sweat, and your skin will result in evaporation and therefore cooling. But in this case, high airflow is important because the amount of water vapor that can be evaporated into each air parcel is limited.
I know you didn't take the opposite position. You came out swinging at me by telling me I've got the physics wrong. However I'll stand by my initial post. And since you are attributing implications to it that I did not say, then you simply are misunderstanding what I said.
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd think a base layer will just keep more sweat in which in turns means that you are holding more heat next to your body. For anything over 70ºF I'm only wearing one layer.

Even if the sweat isn't evaporating at a fast rate, just the fact it can drip off of you means it's carrying heat away from you.

In my case sweat accumulates faster than it will ever evaporate. So an ever growing pool of sweat against my body will be overwhelming any cooling from evaporation. Cooling effect from evaporation occurs on the surface. If I have too much sweat between me and the surface, I won't get enough benefit.

Believe me, at no time, other than a short time after starting my ride in the current temperatures here are me or my clothes dry. I simply sweat a lot. There have been times when I stop that there is steady stream of sweat dripping from me. I can't imagine how keeping that sweat on me will benefit my body.

Sweat dripping off of me does carry away heat with it. It has a measurable temperature and whether or not it is the same temperature or cooler does not matter. It is taking away heat that once was belonged to me. So the total heat contained on and in my body is reduced. Don't confuse heat and temperature. I know I do that too often.

Have you ever taken a towel when you come in from the heat and wipe the sweat off of you? Then you should realize that by removing the sweat that is not immediately being used for evaporation, you get a much better cooling effect on your skin.

Why? Because you've made a more ideal situation for your body to benefit from the cooling effect of evaporation. You've removed the excess sweat that buffers the effect and you've brought the surface being cooled in much closer contact to your skin.

You body benefits from bringing the cooling effect closer to it. A base layer and outer layer will only serve to keep it further away.
Old 07-31-20, 08:54 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Sorry if you are offended, but your physics are still wrong. Removal of sweat at the same temperature as your body has no cooling effect on your body.

I'm sorry if you, in your own words, often confuse heat and temperature. I don't The key relationship is, for a reversible process, dQ= Cp dT where Q is heat, T is temperature, and Cp is the heat capacity. Heat capacity has units of energy/mass (as in Joules/gram, usually). The sweat that leaves at a particular temperature carries with it a certain amount of heat, but also commensurate mass, leaving the mass-averaged heat and therefore the temperature of the remaining body the same.

I know you didn't take the opposite position. You came out swinging at me by telling me I've got the physics wrong. However I'll stand by my initial post. And since you are attributing implications to it that I did not say, then you simply are misunderstanding what I said.

In my case sweat accumulates faster than it will ever evaporate. So an ever growing pool of sweat against my body will be overwhelming any cooling from evaporation. Cooling effect from evaporation occurs on the surface. If I have too much sweat between me and the surface, I won't get enough benefit.

Believe me, at no time, other than a short time after starting my ride in the current temperatures here are me or my clothes dry. I simply sweat a lot. There have been times when I stop that there is steady stream of sweat dripping from me. I can't imagine how keeping that sweat on me will benefit my body.

Sweat dripping off of me does carry away heat with it. It has a measurable temperature and whether or not it is the same temperature or cooler does not matter. It is taking away heat that once was belonged to me. So the total heat contained on and in my body is reduced. Don't confuse heat and temperature. I know I do that too often.

Have you ever taken a towel when you come in from the heat and wipe the sweat off of you? Then you should realize that by removing the sweat that is not immediately being used for evaporation, you get a much better cooling effect on your skin.

Why? Because you've made a more ideal situation for your body to benefit from the cooling effect of evaporation. You've removed the excess sweat that buffers the effect and you've brought the surface being cooled in much closer contact to your skin.

You body benefits from bringing the cooling effect closer to it. A base layer and outer layer will only serve to keep it further away.

Last edited by MinnMan; 07-31-20 at 09:06 AM.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-31-20, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Sorry if you are offended, but your physics are still wrong. Removal of sweat at the same temperature as your body has no cooling effect on your body.
Then please enlighten me with your knowledge.

I didn't say it in itself cools me, I said it carries away heat. The less heat I have on my body, the more efficiently the evaporative cooling will be for the heat in my body.
Old 07-31-20, 09:11 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

I didn't say it in itself cools me, I said it carries away heat. The less heat I have on my body, the more efficiently the evaporative cooling will be for the heat in my body.
Dude, he knows more than you about this. Let it go.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 07-31-20, 09:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I know, I feel like those villagers long ago that said rocks sometimes fall from the sky.

I'm going to ride, I'll be gone for two or three hours. Thankfully it's cooler. Though the humidity will still have the sweat dripping from me in streams.

Temperature 79.9 F
Dew Point 76.1 F
Humidity 88 %
Wind Speed SSW 0.4 mph
Gust 0.9 mph
Pressure 29.90 in
Old 07-31-20, 09:25 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
If you live in an area where swamp-coolers work, a base-layer will help keep you cooler. If you live in a swamp, you're pretty much screwed.
Can you explain why there's a different physics for swamp cooler areas? I've seen people claim magical physics just for bikes, but this is a first.

By the way, low dew point conditions are exactly where you don't want a base layer. You want the heat of vaporization to come directly from the body; the last thing you need is an insulating layer between the skin and the surface where evaporation takes place.
Old 07-31-20, 09:34 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I know, I feel like those villagers long ago that said rocks sometimes fall from the sky.

I'm going to ride, I'll be gone for two or three hours. Thankfully it's cooler. Though the humidity will still have the sweat dripping from me in streams.

Temperature 79.9 F
Dew Point 76.1 F
Humidity 88 %
Wind Speed SSW 0.4 mph
Gust 0.9 mph
Pressure 29.90 in
Don't forget to wear a baselayer.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-31-20, 09:46 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

If you are talking about the insulating effect of a layer of water inhibiting the cooling to your skin ,then it would have to be a rather thick layer. The thermal diffusivity of water (D) is around 0.2 mm/sec^2, which means that for a layer (x) 1-2 mm thick (that's a thick layer, think about it), the thermal equilibration time (x^2/D) is just a few seconds.

BTW, a uniform layer 1 mm thick on your entire body would be almost 2 liters of water (average male body has a surface area of 1.9 m^2, etc.).

Last edited by MinnMan; 07-31-20 at 09:58 AM.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-31-20, 09:59 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
My head hurts.
Likes For walnutz:
Old 07-31-20, 10:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Here's another factor to consider: Skin wetness inhibits sweating through a mechanism involving higher-order sensory perception (since there are no specialized wetness detectors in the skin). Therefore, the wetter you feel, e.g., in a clammy shirt(?), the less you sweat. That could help conserve water and Na+.
Old 07-31-20, 10:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts

Well, the thing is, you have a point, but not the one you seem to be making. Dividing, let's say, 70 kg at 98 degrees F into 69.95 kg and 0.05 kg, both at 98 degrees won't cool the 69.95 kg at all.

BUT!!! What is happening when sweat drips off or is wiped off is that you don't have to also cool down the sweat that's on your skin before you get to the skin. If your body is covered in sweat, the evaporation at the surface will cool the sweat down first. A thin sheen of sweat, like you leave when you wipe your face, cools your skin directly.

Is this what you were getting at?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-31-20, 10:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Here's another factor to consider: Skin wetness inhibits sweating through a mechanism involving higher-order sensory perception (since there are no specialized wetness detectors in the skin). Therefore, the wetter you feel, e.g., in a clammy shirt(?), the less you sweat. That could help conserve water and Na+.
I must be missing that mechanism, because I swear to god, the more I sweat the more I sweat!

Old 07-31-20, 11:47 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, the thing is, you have a point, but not the one you seem to be making. Dividing, let's say, 70 kg at 98 degrees F into 69.95 kg and 0.05 kg, both at 98 degrees won't cool the 69.95 kg at all.

BUT!!! What is happening when sweat drips off or is wiped off is that you don't have to also cool down the sweat that's on your skin before you get to the skin. If your body is covered in sweat, the evaporation at the surface will cool the sweat down first. A thin sheen of sweat, like you leave when you wipe your face, cools your skin directly.

Is this what you were getting at?
I covered that in #59 . For a realistic layer, the effect is negligible. The "before" is seconds, after which, steady state heat transfer occurs and the effect is null.
Old 07-31-20, 12:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I covered that in #59 . For a realistic layer, the effect is negligible. The "before" is seconds, after which, steady state heat transfer occurs and the effect is null.
You may wish to look up the energy required to change the temperature of water.

Old 07-31-20, 12:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-31-20, 12:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

It takes 1 calorie to heat 1 gram of water by 1* c.

1 calorie = 1 Joule

1 Joule (per second) = 1 watt

Therefore, doing hot yoga in a heated vest gets you an extra 75 watts.

This is how everyone else is so fast on group rides.

You should look into heated saddles, like in your car.
Old 07-31-20, 12:20 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
1 calorie = 1 Joule
More magical physics. 1 cal=4.184 J.
Old 07-31-20, 12:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Ah, but are they wearing a base layer under that?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-31-20, 12:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by asgelle
More magical physics. 1 cal=4.184 J.

​​​​​​That's what provides the energy required to get the rabbit out of the hat.
Old 07-31-20, 12:25 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
For me a thin base layer makes things worse in the desert. Best is tight fitting single layer. Every drop of water facing wind evaporates immediately and the main issue is body sweat rate can not keep up. I've left home in 117F 2% RH with a dripping wet kit and it is bone dry 5min later except my back which takes another 5min. Then the nearly dry layer just feels like it traps more heat.
Old 07-31-20, 12:44 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I have always felt that a base layer holds your sweat closer to your body which helps regulate cooling. You do see a lot of riders who do not use a base layer when it’s hot. I wonder if it doesn’t make a difference.
Hotter means no layers
Old 07-31-20, 12:53 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by noisebeam
Then the nearly dry layer just feels like it traps more heat.
It may feel that way, but unless you're suffering from heat stroke, you're still sweating and losing heat from evaporation.
Old 07-31-20, 12:56 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
It may feel that way, but unless you're suffering from heat stroke, you're still sweating and losing heat from evaporation.
Correct, but the double layer doesn't help with evaporation. It just feels hotter. I've done this 110F+ ride in full sun hundreds of times and experimented with varied strategies.

That is why I said 'nearly dry' - I'd rather have a single thin nearly dry layer on my body than two which traps more heat.

It seems you agreed with me in this post:
By the way, low dew point conditions are exactly where you don't want a base layer. You want the heat of vaporization to come directly from the body; the last thing you need is an insulating layer between the skin and the surface where evaporation takes place.

Last edited by noisebeam; 07-31-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 01:02 PM
MinnMan

Good lord, are you really asking me to geek out more than I have already?

Of course, the energy required to change the temperature of water is its heat capacity, Cp, also known as the specific heat, as I covered in a different context in #53
The thermal diffusivity, D, which I used in #59 , is equal to the thermal conductivity, k, divided by the product of the heat capacity, Cp, and density, rho D= k/(rho*Cp).

Therefore, because the form of the equation in #53 is calculated with the diffusivity, rather than the conductivity, the energy required to change the temperature of water is already considered in the calculation.

I know that there are some engineers in this forum. I hope they all find this amusing.
Likes For MinnMan:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.