Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does A Base Layer Keep A Rider Cooler in Hot Weather

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does A Base Layer Keep A Rider Cooler in Hot Weather

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 10:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Some jersey fabrics are UPF rated too, and others are still sun blocking without the testing.
Not usually for the arms. Besides, the base layer looks better, and provides value off the bike too.
Old 08-03-20, 11:02 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Last week sucked, but it was unusually hot(118F or even higher in traffic), but under 110F is no big deal as long as you keep moving. I don't like to start rides at over 100ish, but if it's 118F when I get out of work, you just HTFU, and ride home.

This July has been strange because we haven't had any monsoons. In my area of town, we haven't had a drop of rain since 3/18.
It sure has been a hot & dry July. The night temps have also not dipped below 90F for 19 days straight until this Sunday night. Yesterday it cooled a bit and was a bit overcast with Cali fire smoke and more humid which allowed for extended riding.

Starting rides around sunset when it is 110F is great as the low to no sun makes a huge difference and it only gets cooler as the rides goes on. Starting at 100F in the morning for a long ride is a poor idea.

I too cycle to work for the past 17 years and typically leave work for home at 4pm for a 12mi commute. Under 108F is great. Over 115F is where it one really starts to cook. I've had several rides home 118-120F which would likely be impossible if I had not acclimated through the spring.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 08-03-20, 11:30 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Is A/C becoming unavailable?

FTR, I hope people stop moving here. In 1995 my house was on the edge of the desert, but now we are about 8 miles from undeveloped land.
I think people moved South to escape the horrible winters, because A/C allowed them to tolerate the awful summers of the Sun Belt, but if those winters become less horrible and those summers become more awful, what's the attraction? I was astonished a few years back when it was so hot in Phoenix that they had to halt air traffic, because the air was too thin to provide lift.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-03-20, 06:14 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I think it depends a lot on the hot weather. If the humidity is low, i think having an extra layer of something similar to columbia omnifreeze actually helps quite a bit. That said, in very humid and warm conditions it just feels warmer. Just my not very scientific observations. Of course, your mileage may vary. I’m a rather inefficient sweater so i have no problem keeping a base layer damp.
Old 08-03-20, 06:59 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
It sure has been a hot & dry July. The night temps have also not dipped below 90F for 19 days straight until this Sunday night. Yesterday it cooled a bit and was a bit overcast with Cali fire smoke and more humid which allowed for extended riding.

Starting rides around sunset when it is 110F is great as the low to no sun makes a huge difference and it only gets cooler as the rides goes on. Starting at 100F in the morning for a long ride is a poor idea.

I too cycle to work for the past 17 years and typically leave work for home at 4pm for a 12mi commute. Under 108F is great. Over 115F is where it one really starts to cook. I've had several rides home 118-120F which would likely be impossible if I had not acclimated through the spring.
You guys are rugged.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-03-20, 08:05 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts

You guys need some of this air (temps are in °F, the graphic is confusing.) Temps/forecast are for this week - August, 2020.
They actually hit -105 °F a couple of days ago.
Old 08-03-20, 08:10 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
You guys need some of this air (temps are in °F, the graphic is confusing.) Temps/forecast are for this week - August, 2020.
They actually hit -105 °F a couple of days ago.
I'd be happy with a little rain. Please.

We do have our cold spot in AZ where is it in the low 50's high 40s'
Old 08-03-20, 08:10 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

I love seeing theses threads about riding in hot weather, and have people dismiss the heat in AZ, because "it's a dry heat".
Likes For noodle soup: