Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20, 11:49 PM
lanpa8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubyd
love all my rapha gear. I don’t get why anyone questions the quality. Core jerseys are top drawer quality for $80. What’s not to like?
+1
Old 08-03-20, 12:12 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Uh now I want a water bottle lol.
Old 08-03-20, 01:58 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'm talking about the guy making the complaint in the article(Dave Standard).
Agreed.

The amount of self-entitlement involved in getting pissed off over something as minor as this blows my mind. Especially in the context of a sport where weight is a VERY significant factor. The truth doesnt stop being true because someone dislikes it - I am 180lb and in the immortal words of Patentcad, I am too fat for this sport. That's reality. If someone has an eating disorder, they have my sympathies and my best wishes in dealing with it - but to expect the rest of the world to come to a stop for them is hubris at a scale that deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

Last edited by guadzilla; 08-03-20 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-03-20, 06:37 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I think you can put inspirational bike quotes or phrases on your products without going there. Just IMO. And opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one and it usually stinks.

I was giving Rapha a pass on this topic until reading that. Now, you all have changed my mind. It's not an image I want to buy into.

I'm the kind of guy who also wouldn't find it funny if they put a quote on one of their products "put me back on my bike".

Disagreeing with me or the guy in the article doesn't mean we're "tools". I don't think someone who buys the stuff and likes it is necessarily a "tool" either.
Old 08-03-20, 07:17 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Disagree. I think he makes a valid point. You're entitled to your opinion. He's entitled to his.l You can disagree with him without calling him a too.
No, He's a tool Don't tell me what do.

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Agreed.

The amount of self-entitlement involved in getting pissed off over something as minor as this blows my mind. Especially in the context of a sport where weight is a VERY significant factor. The truth doesnt stop being true because someone dislikes it - I am 180lb and in the immortal words of Patentcad, I am too fat for this sport. That's reality. If someone has an eating disorder, they have my sympathies and my best wishes in dealing with it - but to expect the rest of the world to come to a stop for them is hubris at a scale that deserves a swift kick in the nuts.
Yep.

No one ever said Professional Cycling is a sport for everyone. I always wanted to be a jockey, but you won't find many that are 6'2" and 190lbs. I had to accept the reality, that it was never gonna happen, and move on.
Old 08-03-20, 07:21 AM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
why is GUCHIEE.. or how ever the heck you spell it so divisive? good lord.. some times cycling is just so..... so.....bleaach...
Old 08-03-20, 07:27 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I think you can put inspirational bike quotes or phrases on your products without going there. Just IMO. And opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one and it usually stinks.

I was giving Rapha a pass on this topic until reading that. Now, you all have changed my mind. It's not an image I want to buy into.

I'm the kind of guy who also wouldn't find it funny if they put a quote on one of their products "put me back on my bike".

Disagreeing with me or the guy in the article doesn't mean we're "tools". I don't think someone who buys the stuff and likes it is necessarily a "tool" either.
You have your opinion, and I have mine.

FTR, I'm not saying anyone in this thread is a tool. I just want to make that clear.

I don't care if you buy Rapha gear, or boycott them. The choice is yours.
Old 08-03-20, 07:30 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The water bottle is an anecdote about a popular figure in the sport. It's certainly not an explicit recommendation and I don't see it as an implicit recommendation, either. I guess that I could see someone not being fond of it, but to be so perturbed as to post complaints online and/or let it sway brand opinion is a bit... much.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-03-20, 07:45 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I doubt I'll ever spend the money to buy Rapha gear, but can't imagine why anyone would care if others choose to.

Complaining about the phrase on the water bottle is way over the top. Totally absurd. Some folks have too much time on their hands.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-03-20, 07:58 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Rubyd
Love all my Rapha gear. I don’t get why anyone questions the quality. Core jerseys are top drawer quality for $80. What’s not to like?
Riiiiight! And unlike bibs, my jerseys can last a decade, making the 'you paid $80 and I only paid $40' argument much less meaningful.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-03-20, 08:19 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Riiiiight! And unlike bibs, my jerseys can last a decade, making the 'you paid $80 and I only paid $40' argument much less meaningful.
+1. I personally don't have any of their jerseys but I do have the Core bibs, Touring shorts and the newer Randonnee shorts. My Core bibs and Touring shorts are about 5-6 years old and still looks great out the wash. I wouldn't say the Core bib is an all day, 100 mile ride type of bib as the chamois isn't as supple as the ones found on my PI Pro and Campagnolo Magnesio. The overall construction seems up to par with much higher priced bibs, has those really wide leg grippers and still cost less than some of my other bibs. But my favorite Rapha pieces are the Touring shorts and the newer Randonnee shorts (replaced the Touring). Casual and comfortable enough for a sub 20 mile ride on days where it can be so hot and humid and even use it on nice, cold days worn over bib tights.
Old 08-03-20, 08:29 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Come to think of it, the bottle flip could lead to an increase in repetitive strain injuries, so that's a problem.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-03-20, 09:08 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So what is an alternative to Rapha if you wanted quality cycling gear, without loud branding/design?
Ornot
Old 08-03-20, 09:24 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It's interesting that we as a society are in a place where we are so afraid of eating disorders that anything that hints in that direction is radioactive, but far more than a hint in the direction of obesity is A-OK.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-03-20, 09:25 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Disagree. I think he makes a valid point. You're entitled to your opinion. He's entitled to his. You can disagree with him without calling him a tool.
Calling him a tool is an expression of an opinion (that you just said he was entitled to hold).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-03-20, 09:53 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It's interesting that we as a society are in a place where we are so afraid of eating disorders that anything that hints in that direction is radioactive, but far more than a hint in the direction of obesity is A-OK.
A social media account that I follow (First We Feast), mostly for an interview program (Hot Ones), regularly posts some horribly stomach-churning pics of gluttonous creations, like quad burgers oozing with cheese or mac-and-cheese-stuffed sandwiches (ick - like... why?) and I'm constantly perplexed by the love that those pics get.
Old 08-03-20, 10:31 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The water bottle is an anecdote about a popular figure in the sport. It's certainly not an explicit recommendation and I don't see it as an implicit recommendation, either. I guess that I could see someone not being fond of it, but to be so perturbed as to post complaints online and/or let it sway brand opinion is a bit... much.
Honestly, the actual point of a social media site such as Twitter, has been very much to express opinions or complaints. I really don't see anything wrong with the tweet or person who posted it as it seems to be his genuine viewpoint (and not a troll); maybe it's more apropos to be calling Road.cc the 'tool' in this situation -- turning one guy's tweet into a news story?
Old 08-03-20, 10:40 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Honestly, the actual point of a social media site such as Twitter, has been very much to express opinions or complaints. I really don't see anything wrong with the tweet or person who posted it as it seems to be his genuine viewpoint (and not a troll); maybe it's more apropos to be calling Road.cc the 'tool' in this situation -- turning one guy's tweet into a news story?
Whether or not something is a "genuine viewpoint" doesn't excuse it from criticism.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Old 08-03-20, 10:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Whether or not something is a "genuine viewpoint" doesn't excuse it from criticism.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Of course it doesn't. And those criticisms of course are just more viewpoints.
Pointing out that nobody has criticized Road.cc for making this into a news story, maybe when it might have otherwise been an obscure tweet that very few even knew about. Suggesting that the media website might be more deserving of the 'tool' label than the actual tweeter.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-03-20, 10:54 AM
WhyFi

Of course it doesn't. And those criticisms of course are just more viewpoints.
Pointing out that nobody has criticized Road.cc for making this into a news story, maybe when it might have otherwise been an obscure tweet that very few even knew about. Suggesting that the media website might be more deserving of the 'tool' label than the actual tweeter.
So why not quote the person that dubbed the guy a 'tool' rather than quote me?
Old 08-03-20, 10:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

So why not quote the person that dubbed the guy a 'tool' rather than quote me?
I guess because you found it somehow remarkable that people post complaints on online social media. I don't find it at all surprising that there was one individual out there who found issue with Rapha's water bottle and posted a negative opinion of such.
Old 08-03-20, 11:04 AM
WhyFi

I guess because you found it somehow remarkable that people post complaints on online social media. I don't find it at all surprising that there was one individual out there who found issue with Rapha's water bottle and posted a negative opinion of such.
So your point was that was calling someone a 'tool' was possibly unleashing venom on the wrong person and you directed that at me, because I said it was 'a bit much,' rather than the person that called him a 'tool'?

I hope the irony isn't lost on you.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-03-20, 11:16 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
going back to the concession stand to replenish the xl coke and large popcorn tub...
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-03-20, 11:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
going back to the concession stand to replenish the xl coke and large popcorn tub...
Well, the movie theaters are all shut. We gotta do something for entertainment.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-03-20, 02:13 PM
WhyFi

A social media account that I follow (First We Feast), mostly for an interview program (Hot Ones), regularly posts some horribly stomach-churning pics of gluttonous creations, like quad burgers oozing with cheese or mac-and-cheese-stuffed sandwiches (ick - like... why?) and I'm constantly perplexed by the love that those pics get.
Speak of the devil -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.