Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Wanted: Schwinn fork, mid '70's "lightweight"

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 07-27-20, 11:51 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 112 Posts

Need an old schwinn fork for a steerer tube splice on a mid '70's Sport Tourer. Condition of the fork blades and crown are immaterial. Cannot be threaded for half the length, like the service replacements seem to have been. That's what caused the cracking issues on the current fork. Longer the better, this fork is for a 25" frame. If you just happen to have a looonnnnggg fork for an Opaque Green "lightweight", that would be just bananas.
Old 07-28-20, 09:39 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
There is no difference in outer diameter and threading between a Sports Tourer fork and a regular 1" ISO threaded fork. The difference is in the inner diameter. So if you are ok splicing a regular 1" threaded steerer from any framebuilder supply shop onto the fork, and using a regular 22.2 quill stem, you should be good to go.

If you go that route, you might need to sand down the inner diameter of the top lip of the current headset lockring a little, to give more clearance for a 22.2 stem. Besides that the current headset should work fine with an ISO fork.
Old 07-28-20, 10:18 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
There is no difference in outer diameter and threading between a Sports Tourer fork and a regular 1" ISO threaded fork. The difference is in the inner diameter. So if you are ok splicing a regular 1" threaded steerer from any framebuilder supply shop onto the fork, and using a regular 22.2 quill stem, you should be good to go.

If you go that route, you might need to sand down the inner diameter of the top lip of the current headset lockring a little, to give more clearance for a 22.2 stem. Besides that the current headset should work fine with an ISO fork.
Yep. I am aware. However, I'd prefer to use the original stem from the Sports Tourer, so Schwinn steerer tube is the preferred solution.
All else fails, I'll splice in a "normal" steerer tube.
Planning on checking at the coop on Thursday.
Otherwise, it looks like a random Ebay purchase may the ticket.
Old 08-04-20, 11:07 AM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 113 Posts
nesteel you might try Bicycle Heaven in Pittsburgh,he has all kinds of Schwinn forks on display and he sells them. 412 734 4034 Craig Morrow is the owner