Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

1981 Miyata “Commuter”, 25”, New In Box

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

1981 Miyata “Commuter”, 25”, New In Box

Old 09-06-20, 08:45 AM
mr3speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Hello Everyone!
I just got back into bike riding this Spring (as did the rest of the world), and because it was impossible to find new bikes in stores, I turned to the used market. Well as you know, this is a dangerous and slippery slope. In the last 4 months I've bought 5 bikes. I sold 2 and kept 3. One of my "keepers" is this bike I found in rough cosmetic shape on facebook marketplace. It has quickly become my favorite and has opened up a new world for me - - the 3 speed world!!!! I've been working on a single speed bike build, but now I think I'm going to build the bike with a 3 speed hub instead. I'm surprised you don't really see anybody doing this. Fixed gears/single speed builds are all over the internet.

Anyway, I never would have known this bike existed if it wasn't for this thread, so thank you all. The reason I'm posting is because in my now daily/hourly search for 3 speeds, I'm realizing how unique this bike is. I can't find a single other 3 speed bike out there with 27" wheels. Am I wrong? They all seem to be 26. The other day I missed out on an old Panasonic 3 speed, but I couldn't really tell from the pics if it was 27. It actually had the same fenders and racks as this bike, so I thought maybe it might be. Did Miyata and Panasonic have any sort of relationship? Also, the Panasonic was NOT chromoly.

These 2 features alone make this bike incredibly unique and I love it. Normally with a bike in this condition, I wouldn't hesitate to strip it down, paint it, take off the fenders, etc. But I love this bike so much, I can't bring myself to touch it. I cleaned it and good as I could, but I'm just going to leave it now.

Thanks so much for your time!
Old 02-24-21, 09:37 PM
tubescreamer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this was my dream bike that was stolen

Are any of these still available? I am 5'8" so these in particular may be too big but I am determined to find one of these again. I owned one of these for a few years and I rode it all over NYC every day instead of the subway for commuting. I had it totally tuned up with new brakes and shifter and a rear hub and grips and one day it was stolen from the street, lock cut. I have never grieved an object like I had grieved this bike. I actually stopped riding after that, took the subway, then moved out the city, and basically never rode again. This is a sad story and there is a special place in hell for bike thieves. Keep me in mind if you ever see one. And thanks!
Likes For tubescreamer:
Old 02-24-21, 11:07 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i've had three bikes stolen in my lifetime. always a gut wrencher. good luck on your search, amigo
Old 02-25-21, 08:12 PM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
They shoot horse thieves

It really hurts when your bike is taken. The Miyata commuters are rare, but you may find one eventually if you live on Craigslist long enough. In the meantime perhaps get a different vintage 3 speed to enjoy?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/b...281642216.html

Ross, Columbia, Panasonic, and of course Raleigh all made them.
Old 02-26-21, 09:34 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Tagging the OP @krems81 to notify him just in case he's still active
Likes For tricky:
Old 02-26-21, 09:39 AM
krems81 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Hey I do still have a few!
Old 02-26-21, 09:40 AM
krems81 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by grassybutte
Judging by the recent comments this seems very unlikely, but are any of these lovely bikes still available? Unfortunately, I can’t PM you as I have not posted enough to the forums yet.

Thank you!
I’m not sure if I ever PM’ed you but I do still have a few of these!
Old 02-26-21, 10:14 AM
tubescreamer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!
Old 02-26-21, 10:15 AM
tubescreamer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by krems81
I’m not sure if I ever PM’ed you but I do still have a few of these!
Hey @krems81, I just emailed you, let me know if you did not receive it