Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reading dog behavior while riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-30-19, 10:37 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

So the other day I took my mountain bike out for a seven mile ride and encountered a couple dogs that came out to "greet" me. I noticed that the dogs tail was up and wagging (good for me), dog was smiling (good for me), and the dogs bark was more of a "come play with me" bark instead of an "I'm going to eat you" bark.

These are farm dogs and used to staying out of the way of pickups so I wasn't worried about running over them, but the bigger of the two dogs got close enough to give my lower leg a few licks (no I don't think he was tasting me to find out if I would be good eating).

Had the tails been down or tucked, and had the bark sounded different and the facial expression been different on the dogs I may have been in trouble or in pain from a bite.

Try to learn to read dog behavior so that you don't get bit especially if you are riding rural roads.
Old 08-30-19, 10:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
So the other day I took my mountain bike out for a seven mile ride and encountered a couple dogs that came out to "greet" me. I noticed that the dogs tail was up and wagging (good for me), dog was smiling (good for me), and the dogs bark was more of a "come play with me" bark instead of an "I'm going to eat you" bark.

These are farm dogs and used to staying out of the way of pickups so I wasn't worried about running over them, but the bigger of the two dogs got close enough to give my lower leg a few licks (no I don't think he was tasting me to find out if I would be good eating).

Had the tails been down or tucked, and had the bark sounded different and the facial expression been different on the dogs I may have been in trouble or in pain from a bite.

Try to learn to read dog behavior so that you don't get bit especially if you are riding rural roads.
While it's true you can probably tell if a dog is likely to take a snap at you, "reading the dog" isn't going to give you a lot of cues as to whether the dog is going to "play" himself under your wheel or knock you down while trying to give you a hug. A dog running towards you on a bike is always a safety threat. Reading the dog may help you figure out how best to counter that threat while preventing harm to yourself and the dog.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-30-19, 10:58 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Twain: “Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.”
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-30-19, 11:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Dogs don't smile, nor can anyone understand what dogs mean when they bark.

People are free to think that they can tell what a dog is going to do based on the sound of their bark or the shape of their mouth and Oregon isn't Georgia.

A rider here had his leg mauled a few weeks ago and here in North Georgia we are pretty fed up with it.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-30-19, 11:18 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-30-19, 11:25 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I was riding the Illinois Prairie Path through West Chicago earlier in the season (not to be confused with the west side of Chicago), and saw a loose pitbull in the middle of the path ahead of me. I cut my ride short, turned 180 degrees, and rode the other direction. Not worth finding out if he was friendly or not.
Old 08-30-19, 11:27 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've really got to order some pepper spray.
Old 08-30-19, 11:53 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
We used to ride on the native reserve near my home town, and it was off-leash dog central!

My advice is - if you have time to evaluate and consider a dog's mood and intentions, you probably have time to get your water bottle out and give the pupper a squirt in the face with some dihydrogen-monoxide if it gets too close. The dog will stop in his tracks regardless of its intentions before he got a snoot full of cold water.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 08-30-19, 12:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have a pretty well-tuned dog interpreter function-- I can tell right quick what a dog's intention is when it starts running after me. Some are just in it for the chase, One out of maybe 50 has a genuine desire-- a recent one was definitely serious, because he didn't even bark, just came out of the driveway full tilt. But he was a novice, and didn't know how to cover the distance and plan the angle at the same time-- they don't lead a target very well, so most dogs are running toward where I am, not where I'm going to be. So by the time he got up to speed, I already had a ~50 foot lead on him. Had he been more experienced, he would have gotten some eye sockets full of Glacier Cherry Gatorade. I've only had a dog get close enough to get the water bottle once.

I think the problem here in suburbia is self sorting. I ride the same routes many, many times, and don't think I've ever been chased by the same dog more than twice. They either figure not to bother, their owners manage to lock 'em up, or they try the same tactic with a car and it doesn't end well.
Old 08-30-19, 12:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Ditto the responses on dogs smiling; they don't smile. That's an example of humans projecting their behaviors onto animals.

Ditto too the responses about interpreting dogs' behaviors. With repeated interactions, I develop knowledge of whether a particular dog is benign or vicious; on a first meeting, though, I wouldn't bet my physical well-being on my interpretation of a dog's intentions.

I ride a lot in Amish country, and some of them let their dogs roam free...And they generally don't vaccinate their dogs. Hence, a random dog bite could entail significant risks. If I can't outsprint a questionable dog, I just avoid it altogether.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-30-19, 12:23 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Ditto the responses on dogs smiling; they don't smile. That's an example of humans projecting their behaviors onto animals.
I don't care what you say. My dog smiles.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 08-30-19, 01:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
So does mine. Oh, um, wait...
Old 08-30-19, 01:21 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I think you can read dog behavior up to a point. Growling and teeth showing are alert signals for me, mere barking is not.
Old 08-30-19, 01:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Twain: “Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.”
I heard it attributed to Groucho Marx. Either way, wisdom.
Old 08-30-19, 02:31 PM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
So the other day I took my mountain bike out for a seven mile ride and encountered a couple dogs that came out to "greet" me.
On my long western Indiana rides, I get chased pretty much every time at some point. But similar to this, I rolled into the tiny burg of Radnor and a big German Shepard trotted up to me, got a bit ahead and proceeded to give me a guided tour of the entire place...
Old 08-30-19, 02:37 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
A couple thoughts... just because a dog is wagging his tail doesn’t mean he won’t bite you, it just means he’s happy. He may be happy to bite you.
I have pepper sprayed more dogs than I can count (and a few humans). It works, it you have to practice once or twice, and be aware of where the relative wind is coming from.
Likes For sarhog:
Old 08-30-19, 03:14 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Wonder if Iohan Gueorguiev would have an opinion on reading a dogs true nature just by looking at it. That guy is a "dog whisperer"
Old 08-30-19, 04:40 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I used to be scared of all loose dogs.

Then, I got a very large dog and learned about how dogs work. Now, I'm just scared of most loose dogs.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 08-30-19, 05:20 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Are you sure you're looking at his face, and not under his tail?
Old 08-30-19, 05:45 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 80 Posts
It happens so fast. Here's how I read a dog: If the dog is charging you at full speed you are in for it. Anything else you may be in the clear but don't stick around too long.
Old 08-30-19, 05:55 PM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
If this isn’t a dog smiling, I don’t know what is...then again, my dogs are never off leash unless in the backyard, and even then, they’re supervised, to include all bathroom breaks (yep, even at 5 am). Hate on the owners of wayward dogs, not the dogs!

Last edited by Lab4Us; 09-15-19 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Because I really do know proper grammar =)
Likes For Lab4Us:
Old 08-30-19, 06:16 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
One time I tried this. Saw a friendly medium-sized dog that wanted to run with me. I figured I'd stop and give him a pet, he was smiling and happy while I slowed down and unclipped my opposite foot. When I unclipped my foot facing him the noise startled him and he bit my ankle.

I don't do this anymore. Dogs don't have predictable behavior patterns in such a way that a cyclist can always safely make a positive assumption by observation. I treat every dog like it's looking for a bite and act accordingly. Tangentially, last weekend was the first time a pair of dogs spotted me riding, perked up and proceeded to charge away from me down the road. If anyone knows how to cultivate this behavior, please post. Here they are running ahead of me down the road barking away like mad

Old 08-30-19, 08:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Tangentially, last weekend was the first time a pair of dogs spotted me riding, perked up and proceeded to charge away from me down the road. If anyone knows how to cultivate this behavior, please post. Here they are running ahead of me down the road barking away like mad
There is a small brown dog on Tibbits Rd near Braswell Mountain Rd which is scared of Industry 9 hubs.

It is a smallish dog which came up behind me and I let off the pedals when its head was right next to my hub. The sudden BZZZZZ scared the crud out of it. Now all I have to do is backpedal and it runs to the porch.

Do you know Alan Pilling? He is an older British guy, rides out of Sosebee. His wife is Janet. Super nice people. Alan had his leg mauled by a pit bull up in Bartow County a few weeks ago.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-30-19 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 08:43 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
My e-tandem weighs circa 45kgs, most of the weight is well out back and very low down. It has big tyres, big rims, big suspension, big power, big everything - and it smashes it's way up a small flight of stairs, or a hefty bush, in it's stride.

If i hit a dog, it's curtains for the dog.

I only ever ride on what you guys call MUP's, and i encounter dogs on every journey. I have to read them and work with them. And i can't tell you how varied they are. Nothing is more unpredictable than a dog as a result. Some are on leads, some aren't, they have widely differing attitudes and agendas.

Some people say dogs are stupid. Not as much as their owners though, who don't seem to realise that cyclists have more experience with different types of dog behaviour than they do, that hazards go way beyond friendly/not-friendly, or that it'd be a good idea to walk on the same side of the MUP as a dog on a lead...
Old 08-30-19, 10:08 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
If a dog gets near me, I stop the bike and place it between me and the dog assailant. If there is an owner I let them know in no uncertain terms I am not interested in making friends with their pitbull or Muffy the picadoo. If it continues to approach, it could get ugly. Four broken bones and a resulting stroke has significantly adjusted my attitude toward dogs and their irresponsible owners. I will not be a victim. Attempting to outrun or out maneuver a dog is a foolish thing and is just a good way to get yourself hurt, if not the first time, eventually.
Likes For Loose Chain:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.