Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New bike, old set up

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New bike, old set up

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 01:20 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
New bike, old set up

FYI, here is my new Specialized Diverge with my old Carradice Camper and Ortlieb handlebar bay set up. The 32mn tires and futureshock make the ride quite comfy. There’s loads of clearance for the saddlebag too on thus 56cm frame.

Old 02-29-20, 02:23 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I think on the black frame, I like the black Carradice better than the green one from this other post.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21338287-post13.html

I was sure I saw this bike recently because I remember commenting on it.

Did you add that D ring on the bag yourself? I have been thinking of doing that.
Old 02-29-20, 03:37 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I think on the black frame, I like the black Carradice better than the green one from this other post.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21338287-post13.html

I was sure I saw this bike recently because I remember commenting on it.

Did you add that D ring on the bag yourself? I have been thinking of doing that.
Yes the D-ring is my own mod, but Carradice has now added them to the Camper and the Nelson. I sometimes use the D-ring for a shoulder strap, but most times I just use the nylon straps I attach to the D-rings on the lid as a carrying handle.

This is the first time I've loaded the bike up with all my gear. I was particularly interested how the Futureshock felt with the load of the handlebar bag. I don't notice anything strange going on so it all looks good.

Last edited by nun; 02-29-20 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-29-20, 05:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Yes the D-ring is my own mod, but Carradice has now added them to the Camper and the Nelson. I sometimes use the D-ring for a shoulder strap, but most times I just use the nylon straps I attach to the D-rings on the lid as a carrying handle.

This is the first time I've loaded the bike up with all my gear. I was particularly interested how the Futureshock felt with the load of the handlebar bag. I don't notice anything strange going on so it all looks good.
I used my Nelson Longflap on one tour in 2014, but am thinking I might use it this summer again. Stopped using it as it usually took two or three times as much time to strap it onto my saddle as strapping a bag on the top of my rack and panniers. Not a big deal for a week long trip, but after a month and a half you really start noticing things that could be done better. And inconvenient to carry when off the bike. But I think with some D rings added for a shoulder strap, it might make carrying it more convenient. That does not solve the time to attach the saddle straps, but I have been thinking about a few other options for that.
Old 02-29-20, 07:48 PM
nun

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I used my Nelson Longflap on one tour in 2014, but am thinking I might use it this summer again. Stopped using it as it usually took two or three times as much time to strap it onto my saddle as strapping a bag on the top of my rack and panniers. Not a big deal for a week long trip, but after a month and a half you really start noticing things that could be done better. And inconvenient to carry when off the bike. But I think with some D rings added for a shoulder strap, it might make carrying it more convenient. That does not solve the time to attach the saddle straps, but I have been thinking about a few other options for that.
The leather straps and buckles do take more time than many attachment systems, but I don't find it a big enough deal to bother with racks and multiple bags. Anyway, once the bag is on there I rarely take it off. If I'm camping I usually just unload stuff directly from it. If it might rain then it will come off and go inside the tent. In hotels/motels I always leave the bag on if I take the bike into my room and I'm also careful to carry my bike so I don't get tire marks in any floors. If I leave my bike for any time I lock it up and just take the Ortlieb.