Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What do you do *after* replacing a spoke?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-29-20, 09:24 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

Broke my first spoke yesterday in my "Clydesdale" rear wheel on the drive side yesterday after ~1500 miles of riding.

Of course now that I've replaced the spoke and remounted the tire, I'm seeing other spokes on the drive side with scrapes/nicks in them--maybe from my chain slipping between the cassette and spokes, not sure--that I should also replace.

So after a visual inspection, retruing the wheel, what else do you/can you do after replacing spokes? I hate this paranoid, ticking time bomb feeling after having a broken spoke.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-29-20, 09:30 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
I wouldn't do a thing until you break another. Unless it broke at one of the "nicks".
It may not happen.
If it does, replace all spokes on that side. Maybe both sides?
Old 05-29-20, 10:19 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
You now know why they created and made so many "dork discs"; those goofy aluminum or plastic discs between the freewheelcassette and the spokes. Of course every self-respecting cyclist promptly took it off (and many of us also dumped our chains between like you did).

Bill Kapaun is right on. Ride the wheel, If it works, great, if not you could replace spokes as they break, but as a clyde, I;d do all the right-side spokes and probably both sides. (I'm a light, skinny guy, I'd probably go till the 3rd breaks but then, I never and cannot rip stuff apart on a bike.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-29-20, 10:22 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
Broke my first spoke yesterday in my "Clydesdale" rear wheel on the drive side yesterday after ~1500 miles of riding.

Of course now that I've replaced the spoke and remounted the tire, I'm seeing other spokes on the drive side with scrapes/nicks in them--maybe from my chain slipping between the cassette and spokes, not sure--that I should also replace.

So after a visual inspection, retruing the wheel, what else do you/can you do after replacing spokes? I hate this paranoid, ticking time bomb feeling after having a broken spoke.

Thanks,
Paul
Did you stress-relieve the spokes afterward? One of the reasons for giving them all a really good squeeze is to test whether any others were close to snapping.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-29-20, 10:40 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
You now know why they created and made so many "dork discs"; those goofy aluminum or plastic discs between the freewheelcassette and the spokes. Of course every self-respecting cyclist promptly took it off (and many of us also dumped our chains between like you did).
I am not ashamed to admit that I use both dork discs and Jump Stops on my bikes. Nothing ruins a nice ride like having to dig a greasy chain out of a tight spot. I keep my derailleurs properly adjusted but things happen and I am a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy who couldn't give a rat's a** what other people think.
Old 05-29-20, 10:43 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I was out on my mountain bike a few of years ago and a stick got caught in my rear derailleur stuffing it into the spokes pulling the chain with it. Rear derailleur destroyed, hanger bent, and 3 spokes broken. Once I replaced the spokes, I noticed that several others were badly gouged right near where they went into the hub. Since I had things apart, I headed back to the bike shop and bought new replacements. I ended up replacing 10 spokes in all, and trued the wheel. To be fair, these spokes were badly chewed up. After 4 or 5 years of riding I have not had any more trouble. In your place, I would replace those spokes
Old 05-29-20, 10:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
If I broke a spoke on a wheel after only 1500 miles, I would suspect that the wheel was not built properly. Did it come on a new bike. or did you buy aftermarket wheels? Do you know who built them? What parts were used?

As others have suggested, you might want to make sure the wheel was properly stress-relieved and re-tensioned. If you aren't experienced with this, you might want to take the wheel (or wheels) to a shop and ask them to make sure everything is up to snuff.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-29-20, 12:16 PM
Novalite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Stainless steel spokes may start to rust due to non stainless steel particles embedded in the surface.
Old 05-29-20, 12:34 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I agree with checking the tension of the spokes. You don't want them banjo-string tight. You do want them tight. The object of the game is that the wheel is suspended in tension. The greatest load is taken by the spokes on the top of the wheel in it's rotation. With the tension balanced (at rest) between all the spokes the wheel is kept "round". As you put more and more miles on the bike the spoke tension can settle and change causing the wheel to go out of round (usually not too bad). The object of the game is to keep up with it.

And that reminds me - I need to do the same on my touring bike. The wheels aren't "bad" by my book, but I can see a bit of wobble so they are due for a truing.

I wouldn't consider a broken spoke a catastrophe or a ride-killer. If I broke one (never have yet) I'd tape the pieces to the next spoke and keep on keepin' on.

If spokes were popping left and right then there would be something very wrong with the wheel - most likely too much tension. That or a defect in the spokes.

If spokes are spaced out far enough around the wheel I wouldn't even consider 2-3 spokes ride-killers. If they are all in the same quadrant or so then it might be a bigger issue.

Of course, it is best practice to replace spokes - but my point is it isn't a road-side repair, nor should it be considered a ride-killing mechanical. Bandaid it with some tape to secure and move along. If you're on tour - maybe that could be an evening project. Or if you are a day out from a better place to do the work than in camp - carry on for a day and get there.

Once a spoke is replaced - what should you do? Make sure the tension is set properly in the spokes and keep on keepin' on.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-20, 01:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
New spokes need to be broken in. So you need to get at least 5000 miles on it ASAP.

You do have to check it and all the rest every so often just to be sure they all feel about the same tension.
Old 05-29-20, 02:34 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Did you stress-relieve the spokes afterward? One of the reasons for giving them all a really good squeeze is to test whether any others were close to snapping.
This!

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 05-29-20, 04:57 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I went to the LBS and bought some new spokes. I showed one of the shop guys my wheel but he said he wouldn't change them out. His concern with swapping them out was affecting the tension, but at $70 to retension the wheel, I think I'm going to take my chances. I think the two I circled need to go and the 3rd one underneath the PostIt was a candidate, but I'm fine keeping that one.

Old 05-29-20, 08:42 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
??? That is not why you stress-relieve a wheel. You stress-relieve to remove the false tension where the spoke has turned when the nipple has turned. You don't squeeze them to find the spokes that are 'about to break'.

OP - I think you're riding on borrowed time. From your last pic it looks like you've dropped the chain between the cassette and the spokes a few times, and you can see it's the outboard spokes on the drive side that are nicked. I'd bet a C-note that the spoke you broke was one of those. I predict another broken spoke if you don't replace those spokes, which are 1/4 of your total spokes on that wheel. Some bikes, when you break a spoke, you get so much rub against the brake pads or even the chainstay that your ride is done. Some wheels you can make it home with a sizable wobble.

It looks like you have a pretty conventional wheel with at least 32 spokes and 3x crossing, so if you break a spoke you can probably limp home.
Old 05-29-20, 08:44 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Grind down anything sticking up from the rim with a dremel
Old 05-30-20, 06:25 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I see you have disk brakes so rim wobble won't affect your getting home if you break another spoke. In fact, I heard someone posit that a drawback of disk brakes is that you don't always immediately know when you've broken a spoke.

I do my own wheel work, and I wouldn't hesitate to replace all spokes nicked by the chain. It takes little more time to replace six or seven spokes than to set up the job again to get access to DS spokes.
Old 05-30-20, 08:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
I went to the LBS and bought some new spokes. I showed one of the shop guys my wheel but he said he wouldn't change them out. His concern with swapping them out was affecting the tension, but at $70 to retension the wheel, I think I'm going to take my chances. I think the two I circled need to go and the 3rd one underneath the PostIt was a candidate, but I'm fine keeping that one.
If that's really what your LBS would charge, you need a need to find a new shop. Mine charges $50 to build a wheel from scratch.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-30-20, 08:47 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I overlooked replacing the Spoke Protector after overhauling my hub and dumped the chain on a bad shift. A few rides later a spoke broke. When I was replacing it I realized that 8 other spokes were cut. I replaced them and after about 75000 miles replaced the rim using the original spokes.
From the pics I would replace the damaged spokes, retension , and stress relieve the wheel.
Old 05-30-20, 09:24 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
??? That is not why you stress-relieve a wheel. You stress-relieve to remove the false tension where the spoke has turned when the nipple has turned. You don't squeeze them to find the spokes that are 'about to break'.
You are correct-ish, when building/rebuilding a wheel that is the purpose but on an old wheel where one spoke is replaced there isn't a need to do that, the thousands of miles have done the job and you should know if the few spokes you tweaked to true a wheel are right, I find just setting the wheel upright on the ground and pushing down on the top and going around the wheel that way will do the job on a more difficult true. On a questionable wheel going around the rim and squeezing the spokes in pairs after a spoke relacemet can also serve the function of finding out if spokes are bad. I've a number of times replaced a spoke and squeezed and behold, another broken spoke, then I tell the customer its time for a rebuild and don't bother going further.

To the OP, the two spokes you circled are absolutely going to break and will any that have any kind of jagged cut to them. If you undo a spoke, replace and tension till the wheel is true then do the next you won't need to rebuild the wheel, doing even 7 spokes this way will be faster then replacing all at once. Though if you remove all the outside spokes first, put new ones in, thread the nipple to the same point on all of them and then start turning them 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 turns in order till you have the wheel properly dished the job would be fairly easy as well and a good mechanic should be able to do that. The key with the first is always unwind the spokes and with the second method for all the outer spokes you do each of the 8 spokes in half turns going around till they're fully detensioned, this assures that you don't put undo stress on the other spokes and will keep the rest of the spokes correct.
Old 05-30-20, 11:11 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Sorry, but you've got it wrong. Spoke windup (which is what you describe) is a completely separate issue that a competent wheelbuilder resolves while tightening or loosening the spokes. There should be almost no residual spoke windup when the wheelbuilder squeezes the spokes.

Jobst Brandt (you may have heard of him) developed his stress-relieving process decades ago, initially to identify weak spokes. That it helped wheels last longer was a bonus: https://yarchive.net/bike/stress_relieve.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-30-20, 03:34 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Sorry, but you've got it wrong. Spoke windup (which is what you describe) is a completely separate issue that a competent wheelbuilder resolves while tightening or loosening the spokes. There should be almost no residual spoke windup when the wheelbuilder squeezes the spokes.

Jobst Brandt (you may have heard of him) developed his stress-relieving process decades ago, initially to identify weak spokes. That it helped wheels last longer was a bonus: https://yarchive.net/bike/stress_relieve.html
People seem to have a hard time understanding that the stress relieving process has multiple benefits:

1. Early on, it assists with spoke setting.
2. Near finishing point, reveals if more work needs to be done. (Wheel is not done if it comes out of true, out of dish, or results in a drop in tension.)
3. As a finishing process - reduces residual stress in the spokes for a better attainment of a spokes theoretical life span - whatever that may be.
4. For a wheel that refuses to settle down - can reveal an overtension condition.

I pretty much cover it in that video.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Likes For mrrabbit: