Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What do we make of this ALAN-framed Guerciotti?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 12:24 PM
DC City Hauler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I don't find it quite as sexy as Vitus, but it's clearly a cousin. I've also read, however, that the ALAN frames aren't as good as Vitus, meaning that if I really want to go the route of 80's bonded alu, Vitus is the better choice. Still, it's a sweet bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283765344528?ul_noapp=true
Old 06-03-20, 12:33 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
It's pretty! And I bet it is light.

Maybe ask the seller for a closeup photo looking at the headtube head-on? The top head lug is a common failure point on these. Like this:

I personally hate the feel of those Aero gran compe levers, but levers are a very personal choice and I have huge hands. They are well-made, I'll tell you that.
Old 06-03-20, 02:47 PM
krjt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had one exactly like it. same color and size, Decals read Alan. Loved the bike, I looked for broken pavement to ride on. It rolled over bad surfaces liked it belonged. Maybe that's why they were so popular as a cross bike, fitted with cross brakes. of course. Check out the fork though, they do flex.
Old 06-03-20, 03:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Nice looking bike and the price doesn't seem to be too bad to me. Just be sure all the joints are still solid.

Good luck and cheers
Old 06-03-20, 11:09 PM
realsorryman
I just bought a bike

Bikes: Vintage TREK model 610? from 1981

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
looks good!
Old 06-04-20, 05:54 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by DC City Hauler
I don't find it quite as sexy as Vitus, but it's clearly a cousin. I've also read, however, that the ALAN frames aren't as good as Vitus, meaning that if I really want to go the route of 80's bonded alu, Vitus is the better choice. Still, it's a sweet bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283765344528?ul_noapp=true
I have both.

Very different bikes in terms of ride.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 06-04-20, 06:23 AM
DC City Hauler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
I have both.

Very different bikes in terms of ride.

"Very different bikes in terms of ride." Please do tell! You've left me hanging.
Likes For DC City Hauler:
Old 06-04-20, 06:38 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

My sole issue with the Vitus is it's twichyness on fast descents. Some will say the frame is very flexy, and it is a nice soft ride, but at about 35-40 MPH it feels as if the two wheels want to take different lines. I love it for most riding, and on the flats it's awesome.
The Gurt/Alan has none of these issues as far as I've noticed. It is a typical Italian racing bike, very responsive and quick handling. Not quite as confortable as the Vitus, but no C'dale crit bike either. On most days I look at both of them hanging in the barn and flip a coin.....

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 06-04-20, 01:36 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts

I have a Vitus and an ALAN, but in CF, otherwise, the construction is identical to their aluminium versions.
The Vitus Carbone is lighter (16 lbs., presently), more comfortable, but much more flexible than the ALAN Carbone. As noted by some already, the Vitus is great at motoring fast on the flats and climbs really well because of its light weight. But the ALAN is worlds better on handling it all conditions. So good that I consider it the best handling bike in my stable. Plus it has the plush ride that CF gives while still being stiff.
Aesthetically, I prefer the ALAN with its italian touches, but the Vitus is nice too with its minimalist, no frills looks which seem to reinforce its classic Frenchness.

Last edited by Chombi1; 06-05-20 at 01:20 AM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 06-04-20, 03:55 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Aesthetically, I prefer the ALAN with its italian touches, but the Vitus is nice too with its minimalist, no frills looks which seem to reinforce its classic Frenchness.
Very true, which is why my 979 is 'tout Mavic'.........mostly, anyway.

Old 06-04-20, 10:00 PM
DCycle

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never ridden an ALAN, but a tip for those mentioning handling issues on fast descents with a Vitus...just switch out the tires from 23s to 28s (which is the max tire width). That will provide assured handling and confidence. It will all but eliminate the twitchiness.