Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Portable Pump or CO2?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Portable Pump or CO2?

Old 06-26-20, 01:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Thanks for that; I have little girly arms and I can't micropump past 70psi.
I had to modify my pump style after my right shoulder (strong arm) was broken and dislocated two years ago. Since then I use my right arm only to brace the butt of the pump against my chest. I don't push. I pull the pump end, and entire wheel, toward my body using the stronger left bicep. It's more of a natural lifting type motion we'd use lifting a suitcase or any heavy bag. The short hose makes it easier to control -- I wrap a finger around a spoke to balance and control the wheel.

Even though I've recovered from that injury, I've kept the same pumping method. It just turned out to be much more ergonomically efficient than pushing the pump, using the weaker triceps, shoulder and chest muscles. (Although I do a lot of pushups, it's still easier to use the naturally stronger biceps.) At 5'11", 150 lbs, I'm no bodybuilder. Not quite skeletal, but I'm not winning any arm wrestling contests. Even when I tried to build upper body muscle it never developed.

It helps to use an efficient pump. I mention the Topeak RaceRockets a lot because they work really well. Remarkably easy to pump considering the size, with good ergonomics -- rubber grip, rounded end caps. I have both the shorter HP and longer HPX, and both are very good -- outstanding values. The Blackburn Core Slim is just as good in terms of stroke effort and efficiency, but less ergonomically friendly, with no rubbery grip and hard metal edged end caps. I wrap a glove or bandanna around the end cap. Very little volume per stroke, so it takes 200-300 strokes to pump to riding pressure, around 60-90 psi. But each stroke is manageable.

In contrast I have a "Pro Bike Tools" mini-pump that resembles a Lezyne, with detachable hose and built in gauge. It looks really well designed and made. But it's very difficult to use, requiring much more effort per pump than the Topeak. I can't get any tire properly inflated with that pump, which is convertible between Presta and Schrader (I thought maybe it'd be better with higher volume, lower pressure tires but it's not great on my errand bike hybrid either). I'd be disappointed if I'd paid for that pump, but I found it along the roadside. I'll probably give it away -- probably to a bigger guy with big guns, preferably someone I don't really like.
Old 06-26-20, 03:00 AM
rotorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camilo
I always carry a mini pump on the frame of each bike an a single co2 in the saddle bag. I don't distinguish between long and short rides and each bike has it's own stuff so I never forget anything.
the most optimal and effective option
Old 06-26-20, 04:44 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I always carry a mini pump on the frame of each bike an a single co2 in the saddle bag. I don't distinguish between long and short rides and each bike has it's own stuff so I never forget anything.
I also carry a pump on each bike. My minimalist approach is a single, small top tube bag and a single under seat Topeak wedge bag with tools and two different tube types. I have a Topeak bag mount on each bike and just slide on/off which ever bike I choose to ride that day. I have a similar bar mount for each bike and a Topeak bag that carries a small camera or perhaps a rain jacket.. though I avoid rain like the plague.
Old 06-29-20, 11:45 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
I always carry two CO2 cartridges and aRoad Morph pump, but in this heat, I would always use the CO2. Disadvantage of CO2 is that your tire will be slightly soft next morning because CO2 diffusion through the rubber is higher than that of air, which is mostly nitrogen.
Old 06-29-20, 01:08 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Funny. I like both. I prefer co2 for high pressure, road tires and a pump for mtn bike/fatty tires.
Old 06-29-20, 03:11 PM
tonymarch

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Both

Like many others, I carry both; basic CO2 inflator and Lezyne Road Drive - https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...-mp-rddr-v2l04). Started this when I got a second flat on a solo ride and only had 1 CO2 cartridge. I like this pump because it's small, has an easy to use hose, and actually does a good jump.

I'll sometimes use the pump (Lezyne Road Drive - https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...-mp-rddr-v2l04) to find the hole in the tube if there's nothing obvious in the tire. But C02 is always the first option - I'm a cyclist, not a body builder!!
Old 06-29-20, 03:15 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by TBlackwell600
Hey All,
I've been biking for the better part of 5 years, mainly rail trails on hybrids. I just purchased my 1st road bike and was wondering what the consensus is on what you carry, a hand pump or co2?
Thanks for your input.
I carry both.
Old 06-29-20, 03:42 PM
djs42

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Pump. And nothing but.
My first flat after buying a CO2 inflator was the last. Got the new tubular up to about 80lbs before it was spent .. not enough to ride without damaging the rims so I had to call someone to pick me up.
Guess if I carried 4 or 5 CO2 cartridges it would have been different, but the reason I went that route was to reduce the amount of stuff I need to carry.
A good pump wins every time.
Old 06-29-20, 06:30 PM
harryquinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry both. A small Topeak or a Lezyne, with screw-on hoses plus a CO2 pump and 2 cartridges. Having had front and rear punctures in quick succession, I also carry 2 spare tubes. Oh and Lezyne quick patches too.
Old 06-29-20, 09:05 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I carry both, various frame or mini pumps and a couple of different inflators. On the road, I will pump up the tire and top it off with an CO2
Old 06-29-20, 09:33 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I used to carry a pump. Then I had a long stretch of almost a flat every few days. Finally I just got Gatorskin tires. They are considerably draggier but I haven't had a flat on my roadie since.

Prior to that I found a spare tube was the only thing that helped, patches being a crap shoot, frustrating, so my pump was my choice. I don't do long drives, just one hour drives.
Old 06-29-20, 10:56 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf
I used to carry a pump. Then I had a long stretch of almost a flat every few days. Finally I just got Gatorskin tires. They are considerably draggier but I haven't had a flat on my roadie since.

Prior to that I found a spare tube was the only thing that helped, patches being a crap shoot, frustrating, so my pump was my choice. I don't do long drives, just one hour drives.

Pretty much the same here.
Gatorskins. They substantially cut down on flats but they have more drag, but better than flats all the time. I carry a Road Morph pump.
Old 06-30-20, 01:47 PM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I carry both. I have a inflator and two cartridges in my saddlebag and a mini-pump in my jersey pocket. If I was to carry just an inflator I'd pack an additional cartridge.
Old 06-30-20, 07:04 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 251 Posts
Oh JHC, unless you are in a race, PUMP.
- No waste from those steel cylinders.
- Pump is plenty fast on a bike tire, especially a road bike with skinny tires, but even a mountain bike.
- Air is free.
- You can help out someone else with a flat without depleting your cylinder supply.
- You can use the pump to find a small hole in the tube before patching.
- Air is free.
Old 06-30-20, 07:33 PM
jgrebed

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I carry both I use the Hand pump to get about 20 psi in and then use the CO2 to fill it up. I know the bead is seated before I use the CO2.
Old 06-30-20, 08:02 PM
Amber1988

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Depends on weather.
I don't want to make a stop in hot or cold condition.
I usually carry the UNICHE mini pump. It looks stylish.

Old 07-20-20, 12:10 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
After today, I think I'll find my Road Morph and put it on my road bike. Had a pinch flat today and while using the CO2 to inflate, the head of the inflator blew off not to be found anywhere and all the CO2 went to atmosphere. So my spare CO2 cart was rendered useless. Fortunately a kind motorist brought me his bicycle hand pump which got me going again.
Likes For speedlever:
Old 07-25-20, 09:06 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I carry two CO2 cartridges. I can inflate a tire to over 100 psi in about 10 seconds. Last time I used a hand pump, it took 5 minutes of tedious pumping and still couldn't get the tire any near 100.
Old 07-25-20, 09:34 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I carry 1 co2 + 1 lezyne pocket drive (which weight about the same as a co2 cartridge). It's just nice to get going again ASAP, and to also have that shot of air to make sure the tire hooks back up again on my gravel bike if the bead broke. If things get worse, I'd still like to hobble home no matter how long it takes using the micro pump, tubes and patches if things are just terrible.
Old 07-25-20, 10:34 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
I carry two CO2 cartridges. I can inflate a tire to over 100 psi in about 10 seconds. Last time I used a hand pump, it took 5 minutes of tedious pumping and still couldn't get the tire any near 100.
That's great having a 2nd CO2 cart until the inflator hard fails. See my post just above.
Old 07-26-20, 07:20 AM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I've owned the Portland Design Works inflator head for over six years and its performed perfectly every time. I could carry an extra head - they're so small but then again, nahhh. Before, when I used to carry only one cart, I had a second flat and had to borrow a pump and pump and pump and pump and pump....I learned my lesson!
Old 07-26-20, 12:14 PM
Jaco7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Co2

Co2 is much smaller and lighter