Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Purchasing new road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Purchasing new road bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 08:40 AM
Tonyxwins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchasing new road bike

Hello,

I’m in the market for my first road bike. Where’s the best and most affordable place to buy one? Online? Store?

thank you!
Old 07-06-20, 09:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
The place that has the better deal for the bike you want in your size at the time you decide to buy.

I personally would not buy a bike online if I had no prior experience with several other bikes I used often.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-06-20, 09:30 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyxwins
Hello,

I’m in the market for my first road bike. Where’s the best and most affordable place to buy one? Online? Store?

thank you!
always support your local shops. they need it.
Old 07-06-20, 10:56 AM
ErikDaGenErik

Bikes: Specialized Venge S-Works, Giant Contend AR 3

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hello,

thank you!
if this is your first road bike and you’re looking for something entry level, any local bike shop will do (granted, start with ones that have decent ratings and reviews). Most new bikes, as in 2020 models will costly roughly the same regardless of where. Unless you find a shop selling old stock, you may save a hundred or two on buying last year’s model. Test ride one and see if you like it. The best advice I can give you is to buy a bike that feels right AND is made for your size. Don’t let a shop convince you to buy a larger size because that’s what they have in stock. You may not know what feels right or not if you haven’t owned one before. While you’re looking at the bike, go find the size chart online on your phone and make sure it’s right.
Old 07-06-20, 02:49 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Hello,

thank you!
First, welcome to road cycling. It is the best sport in my opinion. Well, if you want new, good luck finding one unless you are a size not mainstream. Seems China is not shipping much or we are not accepting much due to C19.

I would suggest a good used bike from the likes of FB marketplace or Craigslist or other such venue. Road cyclist seem to keep their bikes in primo condition so you would more than likely be okay purchasing from a fellow cyclist. Main thing is knowing your fit and that you don’t know.

Maybe consider a LBS to fit you so you know what to look for used.

Good luck and I am sure others will give great suggestions to you.
Old 07-06-20, 03:38 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I never understood this logic

Originally Posted by the sci guy
always support your local shops. they need it.
shouldn't it be more like they'll repay you with good service or something else similar. After all many people need his money orphans, immigrants and the homeless!
Old 07-06-20, 03:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
First, welcome to road cycling. It is the best sport in my opinion. Well, if you want new, good luck finding one unless you are a size not mainstream. Seems China is not shipping much or we are not accepting much due to C19.

I would suggest a good used bike from the likes of FB marketplace or Craigslist or other such venue. Road cyclist seem to keep their bikes in primo condition so you would more than likely be okay purchasing from a fellow cyclist. Main thing is knowing your fit and that you don’t know.

Maybe consider a LBS to fit you so you know what to look for used.

Good luck and I am sure others will give great suggestions to you.
There are a number of websites that will guide you through taking the measurements needed to determine what size bike you're looking for, but even if you use one and find a used bike on Craigs List in your size, a good LBS can help you by setting the bike up for you. After you've ridden a bit and settled into it, the LBS can then dial in the fit, which will pay big benefits as you ride more.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles