Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favero Assioma - great power meter. As pedals? Meh

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Favero Assioma - great power meter. As pedals? Meh

Old 07-27-20, 02:34 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Perhaps just me, but I changed the Assioma cage to SPD using m-force 4a donor pedals and found that with my Lake shoes, there's a bit of squeaking. This squeak was not reproducible on m520 pedals.
Old 07-27-20, 07:07 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,848 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
Perhaps just me, but I changed the Assioma cage to SPD using m-force 4a donor pedals and found that with my Lake shoes, there's a bit of squeaking. This squeak was not reproducible on m520 pedals.
I wish there were a similar hack for SPD-SLs.
Old 07-28-20, 03:50 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I'm on the waitlist to get these once they start shipping again. I'm already a Look Keo (carbon blad) rider. From everything I read, this is the best option for pedal-based power meters. Any former Keo riders have any complaints about the Assiomas? Once you're clipped in, do they feel roughly equivalent to Keos? I assume they would, but would like some feedback if anyone has any other complaints. I'm not too worried about clipping in.
Old 07-28-20, 07:48 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I've had a pair for 2 years (?) now and just depend on them to give me the data I want. I always found them difficult though to get in and out, at first I couldn't even do it outside and rode with one foot out for a few days when on the street as opposed to a bike path. To this day I find the same as others with getting into them as they spin so freely if you don't manage to get in on the first try.

As for Duo vs. Uno, I bought the duo, found out that I too was 50/50 or so on my rides and never looked at it again. I'd buy the uno if given the choice now and save the money.

And one other thing about clipping out, with my regular Keos I could twist my foot either way, but with the Assioma you can only twist one way because of the sensor. Of course I was used to twisting the other way so I had to relearn the motion. I never had to join club Tombé at least.
Old 07-28-20, 08:06 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,848 Posts
It's true that it takes a little more force to clip out on the FA pedals than it did with my SPD-SLs.

I haven't had any such incidents since getting the new pedals, but when an emergency occurred with the SPD-SLs, I was always out of the pedals without even thinking about it.

Last year I had a scary one - there was a wheel touch just in front of me and several guys went down. We were doing well above 20 mph. . I was able to slow just a bit - Garmin said I was at 20 mph when the velocity suddenly dropped to zero- but one of the guys who went down fell sideways, such that his head was on the pavement just a few feet front in front of my front wheel. I can't tell you how I did it, but the next thing I knew, my bike was off to the right, and I was standing in the road , just to the guys left. No contact - phew. If the same happened with the FA pedals, I hope I could pull the same magic.
Old 07-28-20, 10:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'm anywhere from 60/40 to 50/50 depending on the day.
Old 07-29-20, 08:11 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I'm on the waitlist to get these once they start shipping again. I'm already a Look Keo (carbon blad) rider. From everything I read, this is the best option for pedal-based power meters. Any former Keo riders have any complaints about the Assiomas? Once you're clipped in, do they feel roughly equivalent to Keos? I assume they would, but would like some feedback if anyone has any other complaints. I'm not too worried about clipping in.
All my other bikes have Keo pedals of one type or another. As said, I have these on my TT bike, and with the lack of holders due to distancing, I better be able to clip in quickly. Start out smoothly, clip in like normal, and go on your way. I have always twisted my foot away from the bike to unclip, so that's a non-issue. Setting the tension will allow that action to be as you want it.
Old 07-29-20, 10:39 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Anyone who thinks the Keo system is hard to get into should spend a day with NNN-BC.
Old 07-29-20, 04:17 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
All my other bikes have Keo pedals of one type or another. As said, I have these on my TT bike, and with the lack of holders due to distancing, I better be able to clip in quickly. Start out smoothly, clip in like normal, and go on your way. I have always twisted my foot away from the bike to unclip, so that's a non-issue. Setting the tension will allow that action to be as you want it.
I think newer versions have better release tension adjustment. Older versions such as mine are difficult to release from. My other bike has Keo Blades and they feel like Stenmark’s bindings. Release tension is my only complaint.
Old 07-29-20, 07:19 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Coincidentally, I just got an email from Favero this morning saying they are ready to accept my order now. I pulled the trigger on the Duos (despite some of the comments above). I never fully recovered from a knee injury and surgery about 8 years ago, so I would like to assess and work on the assymetry between my legs (if any). This seems like the most accurate and cost effective power meter for me since I recently got a new Campagnolo crankset and do not want to change it.

(I am also really curious to put these on our Peloton bike and use them to help calibrate the resistance to make sure the wattage calculation is somewhat accurate, although that is not why I am buying these pedals. This seems like really the only way to do that.)
Old 08-06-20, 10:31 PM
mattcalifornia

[this post is cross-posted, but it applies equally in 2 different threads on slightly different issues]

My new Favero's just arrived today (which is weird, because FedEx tracking said they were still in Germany last night and wouldn't be here until next week). I replaced a pair of Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti pedals (with 16nm blade), so I just kept my same cleats (I use the grey cleats, which have a medium amount of float -- 4.5 degrees.) Based on your comment and some other threads, I was worried about clipping in and cleat stability, but that was not the case at all. The cleats clip right in and out super smoothly, and they feel rock solid once clipped in. Totally plug and play. In fact, I find them significantly easier to clip in and out of than my Looks, and they just as solid once I'm in. Maybe I just got lucky. Or maybe they will become more spinny as they break in more. Hope not -- I'm very happy so far.

On another note, I've been using the Cyclemeter app on my phone as a bike computer. It was super easy to sync the pedals to get power and cadence readings, but I can't figure out any way to see the left/right power breakdown. Does anyone know if you can do this on Cyclemeter? If not, does anyone know any other good iPhone apps that will show me the full set of advanced IAV power metrics? I know the Garmin computers support this, but I've been holding off buying a computer.

**EDIT -- after further research, I see that advance Cycling Dynamics only broadcasts over ANT+, so it would not work with an iPhone anyway (unless you hook up an ANT+ dongle). However, I think I should still be able to see the left/right power breakdown, no? Can't figure this out.

Last edited by mattcalifornia; 08-06-20 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 12:00 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
[this post is cross-posted, but it applies equally in 2 different threads on slightly different issues]

My new Favero's just arrived today (which is weird, because FedEx tracking said they were still in Germany last night and wouldn't be here until next week). I replaced a pair of Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti pedals (with 16nm blade), so I just kept my same cleats (I use the grey cleats, which have a medium amount of float -- 4.5 degrees.) Based on your comment and some other threads, I was worried about clipping in and cleat stability, but that was not the case at all. The cleats clip right in and out super smoothly, and they feel rock solid once clipped in. Totally plug and play. In fact, I find them significantly easier to clip in and out of than my Looks, and they just as solid once I'm in. Maybe I just got lucky. Or maybe they will become more spinny as they break in more. Hope not -- I'm very happy so far.

On another note, I've been using the Cyclemeter app on my phone as a bike computer. It was super easy to sync the pedals to get power and cadence readings, but I can't figure out any way to see the left/right power breakdown. Does anyone know if you can do this on Cyclemeter? If not, does anyone know any other good iPhone apps that will show me the full set of advanced IAV power metrics? I know the Garmin computers support this, but I've been holding off buying a computer.

**EDIT -- after further research, I see that advance Cycling Dynamics only broadcasts over ANT+, so it would not work with an iPhone anyway (unless you hook up an ANT+ dongle). However, I think I should still be able to see the left/right power breakdown, no? Can't figure this out.
I use Wahoo Fitness app on Android phone and you do not see left/right while riding, but it does show in the summary after.
Old 08-14-20, 02:33 PM
alanw2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I've had my Favero Assioma Duo pedals since last fall and they are great power meter system. As measuring devices, I have no complaints at all. But I'm just not thrilled with their functionality as pedals. I miss my SPD-SL Dura Ace 9000 pedals!

Part of the problem is probably the transition from SPD-SL to Look Keo formats. I figured that they wouldn't be that different and that I'd get used to it, but there are some annoyances that still bother me. For one thing, the weighting on the FA pedals is such that when hanging free, the front of the pedal lies just behind the pedal axle and the rear just in front. Clipping in requires a precise shoe motion that first catches the face of the pedal so that the shoe ends up positioned on the top of the pedal, rather than the bottom. But that motion has to be just right, because if you "kick" it too hard, the pedal spins before the shoe lands in place. Then, once the foot is positioned on top of the pedal, frequently one has to then move it forward across the pedal so that the cleat engages. But it doesn't necessarily slide so easily- certainly not as easily as the SPD-SLs. It takes a subtle unweighting to slide the shoe across.

I'm sure that all of you out there with great skillz don't have these complaints, but for anybody who has made this transition, are there any tech tips to make these work easier? I'm using the xpedo cleats that came with the pedals. Are there other Look Keo compatible cleats that slide a little bit easier across the pedal, making it easier to clip in ?
I have Assiomas on my road bike and don't see an issue clipping in. I also have a Power2Max on another road bike with Shimano road pedals and don't really see a difference clipping in. Hassle having 2 sets of shoes. All my offroad bikes have Power2Max. I use Assioma's on a vintage bike, gym bikes and rental bikes. I like them. How is the battery life on your Assiomas?
Old 08-15-20, 06:07 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I have the FA duo’s on the way and currently use Time Expresso 7 iClic pedals. I hope these will not be a bear to adapt to. The seller stated these were the newest edition (2020) model pedals. The iClic system I love, too bad there is no power meter pedals on that setup.
Old 08-15-20, 06:16 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I was really set on Assiomas until you couldn't buy them anymore. I bought Garmin Vector 3s pedals and they have been flawless. I read horror stories about Look Keo cleats only kinda working with the Assiomas so it made me real nervous. The Vector pedals use Look Keo so that part of it was a no brainer. I was also very nervous of the reviews from when the Vector 3s came out but those problems have since been rectified. Mine have been trouble free and I really like them.
I considered G3’s but after reading countless consumer reviews the issues were all over the place. I then stumbled onto FA and the consensus from consumers were overwhelmingly great other than a lot of hatred for Look Keo cleats rather than other platforms. I can live with that I hope....LOL

Glad yours is working fine.
Old 08-16-20, 11:59 AM
Ajaxab

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just purchased the Uno and was worried about all the clip in and out concerns I'd been reading about in reviews. There is a slight annoyance on clipping in as they're weighted in such a way that they always sit vertically, but I've found clipping out to be a breeze. At least in the brief time I've had them (a couple weeks now), I would easily buy them again.
Likes For Ajaxab:
Old 08-18-20, 11:25 AM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I find the LOOK, and Assioma pedals easy enough to clip into with Shimano shoes, oddly they are quite difficult with Giro shoes
Who knew the shape on the bottom of a shoe could hinder clipping into pedals
Old 08-19-20, 04:06 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Eh. For the price of the Duo, you can get a crankset-based PM that'll let you run your pedals of choice. While a crankset isn't as easy to un/install as pedals, it's still a ~10 minute deal and not exactly rocket surgery.
Which one would you suggest?
Old 08-19-20, 04:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Which one would you suggest?
I've got a Power2Max that's been great and Quarq had a great reputation, too.