Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone know where I might find a replacement fork for this Peugeot?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 11:46 AM
CarbonBone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The fork on this Peugeot is bent. Figured I'd ask here if anyone has any info on where a suitable replacement might be sourced. Or if anyone has any info on the bike at all, like year
or model specs.

It's a Peugeot "Course".

Old 08-07-20, 12:05 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Depending upon the severity of the bend, it might be possible to bend it back. You did not mention frame damage, so perhaps the bend is not too bad and may be fixable. Otherwise, bike co-ops are a great choice. If they don't have the fork you are looking for they may have something that is close. You might even get tempted by a frame a fork.

That is a nice looking Peugeot, it may take something special for that to happen.

You should also check eBay. It won't be the least expensive, but you may get lucky and find just what you are looking for. You may have to wait for someone to post what you want.
Old 08-07-20, 12:20 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Check stem diameter first. That part can be problematic since older French bikes used a 22.0mm diameter steerer and stem instead of the more common 22.2mm, and that Peugeot was probably produced at the time of the changeover, so it could have either 22.0 or 22.2. The 22.2 will be a lot easier unless someone just happens to have exactly the right piece lying around.

I happen to have a high quality French fork buried in the garage somewhere. NOS aftermarket full chrome-plated, but then you get into issues of steerer length, wheel clearance (27" or the slightly smaller 700C) and little things like eyelets at the fork tips.
Old 08-07-20, 12:27 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. Someone should be able to straighten it. Probably French thread. There're a bunch on eBay.
Old 08-07-20, 12:29 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I didn't think it looked bent but it might be an old "pre-incident" photo. If that photo is of the bike with the bent fork then it could almost certainly be straightened.
Old 08-07-20, 12:46 PM
CarbonBone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I didn't think it looked bent but it might be an old "pre-incident" photo. If that photo is of the bike with the bent fork then it could almost certainly be straightened.
That photo is with the bent fork. I'll take it to a few shops near me and get an appraisal.
Old 08-07-20, 01:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I have heard several times that Peugeot tended to make forks that appear bent because the rear of the blade taper is closer to parallel to the steerer than the front. Your photo looks quite in line with the many Peugeots I've seen.

I'd look for dimpling just behind the lugs on the down tube and top tube and just below the crown at the back of the fork blades. If all that looks good, I'd just ride it. (If it did show dimpling, that frame would be an excellent candidate for straightening and will be perfectly rideable until that happened.) I don't know the Course, but it looks like it is derived from the older UO-8. (Same lugs and as far as I can see, same dropouts.) This bike is almost certainly made of mild steel and could handle being bent and straightened many times. (If it isn't mild steel, Peugeot would be proud to tell you that with a sticker on the seat tube.) I absolutely wouldn't worry about the fork or frame breaking, Bike shops now will tell you it cannot be done safely. Bike shops 50 years ago had the straightening tools and could do the job in 20 minutes.

That said, I did retire my UO-8 after the first fork bend, but ... frame and fork had 22,000 miles, 25? crashes (many on ice and snow), the chainstay welded after it broke and the fork was bent in a hard crash into an opening car door where I suffered enough injury I really didn't want to look at that bike again. (I was 29 when that happened, I'd never owned a car. That bike was my car (and at times, truck). 4 Boston and Ann Arbor winters, complete with salt roads. My race trainer for bad weather.

Oh, regarding the chainstay failure - yes, it broke, But the chainstays had been bent and realigned many times with crashes over the years. It was not sudden, unexpected or ever dangerous. I was just riding along at around mile 19,500 when I noticed something moving, Looked again and the chainstay was waving back and forth. Oh! Rode the next two miles home. I was building boats at the time and simply had the rigger weld a bead around the chainstay, Not a big deal.

Enjoy the bike!

Ben
Old 08-07-20, 01:19 PM
CarbonBone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Bike shops now will tell you it cannot be done safely. Bike shops 50 years ago had the straightening tools and could do the job in 20 minutes.

Right! It seems like a simple fix, but everywhere I seem to go, I'm told there's too much risk involved. It's very annoying.

But it definitely is bent, perhaps not too dramatically, but if I take my hands off the bars, I immediately start to careen to the left.
Old 08-07-20, 03:20 PM
CarbonBone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update, took it to a bike shop and they were able to straighten the fork. They also told me they could order a replacement and could install it for me no problem. So that's good.
Old 08-07-20, 03:55 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
Glad they straightened it for you. That’s a much better option than trying to source an exact match replacement. Even if you had found a good fitting replacement the odds are pretty strong that it too would be out of alignment and need straightening.
Old 08-07-20, 04:06 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonBone
Update, took it to a bike shop and they were able to straighten the fork. They also told me they could order a replacement and could install it for me no problem. So that's good.
This is a UO 10 and that's a french threaded fork, right? Good thing you had the fork straightened out. A replacement French threaded fork for this will not be easy to find.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-07-20 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 05:41 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
This is as close as damn is to swearing and I have been wondering what to do with this frame/fork set. I do not mind separating the two for sale in the for sale forum...

Or, you could do what I am doing now - seeking out just the right fork for my early to mid sixties Torpado. Been looking for a couple of months now, every day but to no avail, so far.
Old 08-07-20, 08:37 PM
CarbonBone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
This is as close as damn is to swearing and I have been wondering what to do with this frame/fork set. I do not mind separating the two for sale in the for sale forum...
Yup, I dare say they are practically one in the same, but it looks like the steerer on that fork is at least an inch longer than mine. That means it wouldn't fit my frame, right?
Or am I mistaken?
Old 08-08-20, 02:20 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Yup, I dare say they are practically one in the same, but it looks like the steerer on that fork is at least an inch longer than mine. That means it wouldn't fit my frame, right?
Or am I mistaken?
You are probably right but measuring at my end and yours might prove useful. A too short steering stem is an issue. A too long one, not a problem, in my mind. I have, several times, gone to the local bike shop, borrowed their fork stem die to extend the threads. Once the thread is extended, just cut the steering tube to length, file any sharp edges and Bob's your uncle.

Before making a decision, call a couple of shops in your area and ask if they can cut the threads for you. If you are good to go there, no problem. If not, I can get it done for you and pass the cost on to you.

Anyway, chances are that you will find what you seek. If nothing else, check out Ebay for fork or forks. Lots and lots, some of a more universal nature, such as this one on my Torpado, to choose from...

When ordering or buying, make sure that you specify 27" or 700c compatibility. The fork on my Torpado is for 27" wheels...
Old 08-08-20, 03:42 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Is it French size & thread?

Originally Posted by CarbonBone
Good deal finding a shop that knows how, and is willing, to straighten a bent fork. Was there any sign of frame damage from whatever bent the fork?

Also, did your shop check for Frenchness? This is information you will need going forward. As I (somewhat snarkily) mentioned in your other thread, if it's got a French front end, you'll be limited to old French parts if you decide to make changes to the cockpit in the future. Stem steerer diameter, headset diameter and threading, and bar clamp diameter were all different and uniquely French.

If the shop didn't measure it, the easiest way to find out would be to measure the stem. Pull it out and measure the quill with calipers. If it's 22.0 mm, it's French, and so is the rest of the front end. As well as the bottom bracket.

Saint Sheldon has a full rundown of French bicycle oddity. Hopefully, you don't have a Helicomatic...

Also, pretty Peugeot!

--Shannon
Old 08-08-20, 04:01 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Peugeot Catalogs

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Bike Boom Peugeot website has Peugeot USA catalogs on the web.

Some information that might help you narrow down the year of your bike can be found here.

--Shannon
Old 08-08-20, 11:54 AM
CarbonBone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Also, did your shop check for Frenchness?
I brought it up with the mechanic and he seemed confident that he could get it done with the minimal number of parts needing to be changed. Although I am wary that might entail
using some more modern parts, which I'd rather not do and spoil the vintage look. But If it gets to that point, I'd rather have a working bike than no bike at all.