Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

SAN DIEGO CK TRAIL at Jamboree Bridge, Newport Beach - going, going,...

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 08:22 PM
toolbear

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS trike, Specialized FSRxc Expert, Swissbike LX folding hardtail, Dahon Speed 7 folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't miss the curve where the San Diego Creek Trail joins the Back Bay Trail in Newport Beach. The recent storms have taken another chunk out of the bank.

The weir dam there at the bridge was breached in Jan. 2010 and no repairs were done. This latest rain has cut the bank back to within about 2' of the trail edge. The helpful barricades are now laying down below in the latest cut.

Newport Beach has a note about seismic refit to the bridge starting soon, so we can hope they repair the bank at that time, but if another deluge arrives first (odds on that) it will be detour time.

(See if the before and after photos make it...)

Old 12-23-10, 08:52 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Just got back from a run down there. I noticed that the barriers had fallen but it was pretty dark so I didn't see the recent erosion. I thought they got blown down by the wind. It would be a shame to lose that section of the path.
Old 12-23-10, 11:36 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's the rest of the trail look? Is it clean and clear? I'm probably going to be riding that trail tomorrow, though not sure how far I'm going to go.
Old 12-24-10, 12:12 AM
SKV11000
++++++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stood right there last saturday and enjoyed a likkle bit of break with some sesame cashews.
The rain had paused for the time being...one of you rode past me.

Take photos Snowman. I'm on the east coast right now and interested in seeing the damage.

Last edited by SKV11000; 12-24-10 at 12:13 AM. Reason: party
Old 12-24-10, 01:12 AM
snowman40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SKV11000
I stood right there last saturday and enjoyed a likkle bit of break with some sesame cashews.
The rain had paused for the time being...one of you rode past me.

Take photos Snowman. I'm on the east coast right now and interested in seeing the damage.
Seeing other parts damaged? Sure, that will require I said sure tomorrow though. From what I could see driving earlier today, The parts near the hospital seemed ok, the creek is back down to a more normal level.
Old 12-24-10, 01:17 AM
toolbear

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS trike, Specialized FSRxc Expert, Swissbike LX folding hardtail, Dahon Speed 7 folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
Wow. Just got back from a run down there. I noticed that the barriers had fallen but it was pretty dark so I didn't see the recent erosion. I thought they got blown down by the wind. It would be a shame to lose that section of the path.

You on the lights ride tonight? Hope everyone made the corner.
This is what it looked like on 1/19/2010.
Attached Images
Old 12-24-10, 01:25 AM
toolbear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowman40
How's the rest of the trail look? Is it clean and clear? I'm probably going to be riding that trail tomorrow, though not sure how far I'm going to go.
I hit the first dip beyond Bonita Creek, which was full of mud and tracks and wussed. Head up Bonita Ck. trail for the climb and ride down. Lot of tree stuff on the western side.

You can expect mud in the underpasses further up til they clear it out. The I-5 will be the worse because the crossing is almost at water level. Wednesday PM there was a cell over Irvine set on Deluge. Here is a shot from 1/19 showing what the crossing at Harvard Park looked like. Tomorrow the water should be way down.

Attached Images
Old 12-24-10, 01:35 AM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toolbear

You on the lights ride tonight? Hope everyone made the corner.
This is what it looked like on 1/19/2010.
No. I was running tonight...but I saw Rick & his crew when they were on their way to the Back Bay. Pretty sure they rode down University so they didn't ride through that corner. The section underneath S/B MacArthur was REALLY muddy so they were smart to avoid it.
Old 12-24-10, 07:15 AM
snowman40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't be riding today, my brother and his girlfriend are coming over and I have to put the apartment back together. Stupid ants.
Old 12-25-10, 08:42 AM
toolbear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
No. I was running tonight...but I saw Rick & his crew when they were on their way to the Back Bay. Pretty sure they rode down University so they didn't ride through that corner. The section underneath S/B MacArthur was REALLY muddy so they were smart to avoid it.
@@@

That's the one I wussed on. Hate to get mud on the new trike. So on Friday I am on the SART and there is a monster lane-spanning puddle above the golf course. (Only one from Moon Park to Katella). Slow down and see - yes, the fenders do work.

Bit more of a puddle at Orangewood UXing. Still under a few feet of water. Bikies would come zipping along, right past the warning sign and half way down the slope - at which point it registered that the trail ahead is under that fast brown water. Scamper across Orangewood.
Old 12-28-10, 04:02 PM
kimber_94806
Total Bike Noob

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone knows if Back Bay and San Diego Creek are all clear and safe to ride? Last time I was there on the 23rd, I saw the gates are still closed and the creek is under water and muddy as described by some of you here.
Old 12-29-10, 12:26 AM
toolbear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimber_94806
Anyone knows if Back Bay and San Diego Creek are all clear and safe to ride? Last time I was there on the 23rd, I saw the gates are still closed and the creek is under water and muddy as described by some of you here.
@@@

I would reckon it's OK. There is orange safety net up at the SD Creek/Back Bay junction. I think they are staging for the bridge retrofit project. Equipment is parked on the bridge. There was traffic going up and down the trails. Water is down. Can't say about the mud.

Did see the Orangewood U-xing on the SART from the freeway. That is one low underpass. Open now, but I suspect it is First to Flood. More rain tonight, but I don't think it will change much.