Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Old 01-15-10, 06:09 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I am trying to ID this Bianchi basketcase.... I haven't found a serial number anywhere on this bike....
Serial number should be stamped, in two sections, on each side of the seat lug.
Old 01-17-10, 05:00 PM
terrors

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I am trying to ID this Bianchi basketcase. I have already got the stuck seat post out, and I think the bike is rebuildable. It looks similar to the 1981 Nuovo Racing from the catalogs above, but the decals are wrong, the tubing decal is on the down tube, not the seat tube. Since the decal on the top tube states: "Nuova Racing", sounds like the model name on this one.

The components are pretty much a dead on match with the 1981 Nuovo Racing: Universal 77 brake calipers, Nuovo Record derailleurs and levers, Ofmega crankset, headset and bb, Mavic Module E rims, Superbe brake levers (hoods are long gone), etc. Unfortunately, the Campy derailleurs are in really rough shape, anything that is steel (springs and bolts) is really rusted up. The seat post just has the script G P near the top. No other markings. Made in Italy decal. I may have to put some Suntour Blueline components on it, as they are the closest I have in the bin.

Seat post is 27.2mm. Stem is Cinelli, bars are TTT.

I haven't found a serial number anywhere on this bike. Depending on how well the rebuild goes, this one could be a keeper. The next step is an oxalic bath.

As found:

Top tube model label:

This bike looks very similar to a frame I had and recently traded off to a fellow who has rebuilt it. I tried to identify my frame for a long time and then finally saw a bike just like it. It was 'Rekord 849' at least I think that was the number. There is also a Rekord 748 model. My frame we now believe to have been a 1981. It did come with the square/rectangular metal headbadge and like this one the cable boss for the RD was under the chainstay. I never did find a SN on the frame even after I had it walnut blasted. It did have some campy parts with it, braze-on shifter bosses and Gipiemme dropouts, a 'B' in a circle on the seat stay caps and Panto'd 'Bianchi' on the fork crown with two bars.
Old 01-17-10, 05:43 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
Hi guys, I was gifted a nice Bianchi frame/fork today and I think it is Japanese. The bike is a dark blue colour and has eyelets for fenders and the serial number is DS484235

Thanks for any information!
Old 01-18-10, 08:30 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Hi guys, I was gifted a nice Bianchi frame/fork today and I think it is Japanese. The bike is a dark blue colour and has eyelets for fenders and the serial number is DS484235

Thanks for any information!
Yes, it's a Japanese 1984 model. If it's lacking the model name, as are most Bianchi, your best bet on an identification is posting the seat post size and good pics. And I'll go out on a limb and say it's a Canadian market model too.
Old 01-18-10, 02:38 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
...BTW: just what is wrong with ovalized tubes?
Nuthin' wrong with ovalized tubes, they just don't make for nice lookin' long pointy lugs. They probably have a lot to do with the super sweet ride of this bike actually.

T-Mar: I missed some details for you: There is no difference between the two "O's" in the serial number, they're both zero's I think. The seatpost is the worlds most irritating Campy in, get this, 27.4. That's right, .4. First one I've seen. There does not seem to be any other paint colour under the black on the fork, and I can't determine if there's any rifiling, it's awefully crowded, dark and dirty up the underside of my steerer tube.

Thanks for all the info guys, if looks like I'll be able to call it a '93ish Reparto Course frame in SBX.
Old 01-18-10, 05:49 PM
T-Mar

Tashi, I'm thinking the 27.4mm post is a red herring. Isn't doesn't take much effort to insert these into a standard butted tubeset. About the only tubeset from this era that would have used that size post is MAX and it's obviously not that tubeset.

Those Gipiemme dropouts were typically found on the mid-range, Italian manufactured frames. We know it's at least 1991 by the Superset II tube configuration and those dropouts don't match what was on the Japanese manufactured frames. In 1993, in addition to the SBX tubeset, there was also a Superset II version of Columbus Cromor for the mid-range models. Pending further evidence, I feel this is the best candidate.

Things to can check into, in the future, include:

1. Scrub the bottom, inside of the steerer tube with an old, stiff toothbrush and some solvent, to determine if there are splines, their number and pattern.

2. Remove the bottom bracket and determine the threading, which should be listed on it. BTW, a cartridge bottom bracket was not offered for Dura-Ace in 1991, providing further evidence that it's not an original groupset.

3. With the bottom bracket removed, check the inside of the tubes for ridges.
Old 01-23-10, 06:50 PM
wesjs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also trying to id the model/year of my Bianchi. It's got TSX tubing, but the fork is EL. On one side of the bb shell it says 53 and on the other side A518P. It's got a full DA 7402 groupset on it, but I don't know if it's original. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-10, 08:57 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Hello wesjs, I am not able to look at my catalogs right now but TSX is likely around '93 the fork is chromed unicrown? IIRC Bianchi made that fork and used it for a few models. the TSX bikes were usually offered as frame and kits. can you post a few pics? I hope to be home tue so I can look into this more.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-24-10, 01:51 AM
wesjs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, yes it's a chromed unicrown fork. The Bianchi decals were blue, but were peeling so I removed them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29353616@N04/4170277644/

Last edited by wesjs; 01-24-10 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-21-10, 09:50 PM
Parsifal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1980's Bianchi

Back in the 80's I used to race until I had a bad accident. During that time I raced with two bikes, one a Japanese Champagne colored Bianchi with Suntour and Shimano equipment, it was an entry level road bike. The an Italian Celeste Bianchi which I have kept almost mint, until now. I brought it out of storage and will be racing again this summer, I am not sure I would like to commit it to racing though, it is such a beautiful bike. I would like some help in finding the model name; I was young back then and did not keep any of the documentation it came with, besides, moving and marriage may have caused me to have thrown this away. The number reads 2D12311, the "1s" are European so the look like print form "1". Any help with reading this number will be appreciated.
Old 02-22-10, 08:36 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hello Parsifal, welcome to the forums. congrats on getting back into racing! can you tell us more about your Bianchi? does it have a tubing decal on it, what components (original) does it have? is any part chromed, does the forkcrown and stay caps have any embellishment?

someone like Tmar migh be able to gleen some information from the serial number but from what I understand there was little rhyme or reason to them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-22-10, 09:33 PM
Parsifal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 80's Bianchi

Thank you for responding Biachigirl. Here is a rundown of the components on the celeste:
1) Stem 3TTT custom ordered for me from Italy for the bike to fit me
2) Handle bars are ITM Mod Mondial (with new celeste cork tape, original tape was a celeste plastic that I had changed to yellow (silly me) to match lime green with yellow side line team jersey
3) "does the forkcrown and stay caps have any embellishment?" the fork crown has two engraved lines on them in blue and red and the name Bianchi engraved. The forks are Foderi Forcella Bianchi Special Columbus
4) Frame has a decal stating Bianchi Special Cromo Molibeno Produzione Columbus
5) The Biachi name is part of the frame, not stickers; it is raised
6) It has the "circle B" on by the seat post.
7) It has a Made in Italy decal by the crank
8) Ambrosio 19 Extra Elite (made in Italy) original Rims, new Michelin Dynamic tires (new bought summer of 2009 tires, so it can take the pavement and bad roads (will be upgrading the tires if I race with this bike.. Hope not.
9) Original saddle is a black Bianchi Suade made by San Marco in Italy (very comfortable) switched it out for a newer Bontranger Nebula that I found on special over the summer, so that it would not get damaged more (had some accidents in my days and the seat took some scrapes but, it still remains comfortable and sturdy)
10) Original Pedals are Campagnolo (no other identifying mark of which Campy component) with Christophe clips (3rd set, the previous pairs did not fair well in some crashes or after a few races
11) Front and Rear hubs are Campy, once again they do not identify the level except they say made in Italy
12) Breaks are Modolo Corsa I found this to be a weak point when I raced (specially downhill but I never changed them.
13) Gear shifter are Campagnolo Vicenza
14) front derailleur is Campy with the Victory logo and the rear just says Campagnolo but it is the matching set that came with the bike originally
15) the crank is Bianchi with a 50-43
16) the rear freewheel is 15-20, it is my training and road riding freewheel, the original (I do not know what happened to it) was a very different one that was a special order, so special in fact it disappeared a long time ago, I remember 11-23 (7 speed, rare at the time and special order)
17) the seat post is a Rino (made in Italy) I believe the original name was Cambio Rino, I may be wrong though.

There are no other identifying marks (except for an Aprillia decal that was placed there by a team I rode for). Since I brought it out of storage this past year I have ridden it very often as both a commuter and trainer (switch out the pedals), and it was almost stolen outside a coffee shop if it weren't for a guy drinking coffee who scared off the thieves. I had stopped to buy coffee.

By no means was this a top of the line bike, I think, but it was the most comfortable for me at the time and it served me very well.

Last edited by Parsifal; 02-22-10 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 12:45 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hello a few questions

what color is the tubing decal?
where is Bianchi raised on the frame?
this is on the top of the seat stay?

sounds like it may be a Squadra or Trefeo

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-23-10, 09:24 PM
Parsifal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what color is the tubing decal?
decal color is celeste, matches the bike.
where is Bianchi raised on the frame?
both tubes, and engraved on the fork crown.
this is on the top of the seat stay?
Yes, on top of the seat stay.

sounds like it may be a Squadra or Trefeo
Old 02-24-10, 03:54 PM
Parsifal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pictures

Here one picture of the bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG05398.jpg (91.5 KB, 501 views)
Old 02-24-10, 04:05 PM
Parsifal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are some pictures of the bike.
Attached Images
Bike on Stand.jpg (102.9 KB, 982 views)
Fork.jpg (90.6 KB, 963 views)
Crank.jpg (95.2 KB, 948 views)
Circle B.jpg (89.6 KB, 950 views)
Old 02-24-10, 06:01 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

nice Bianchi. do you live in the states? I can't really find anything like this? the decals look like '83-'88ish but the fork looks older. the derailleurs are 980 (I think) which might make it a '83 980 model. however things just do not add up. the oddest is a 50/43 chainwheel setup.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-25-10, 06:27 PM
Parsifal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Toronto Canada. Yes, there are unique things about this bike. As stated, many people do a double take when they see it... I should really have it deep cleaned... I wish I could recall more, but it was so long ago too. I will see if my Dad recalls anything about it when I see him... He was there when we picked it up...

Thank you Biachi Girl... BTW, the postings on this f
Old 02-25-10, 06:28 PM
Parsifal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Toronto Canada. Yes, there are unique things about this bike. As stated, many people do a double take when they see it... I should really have it deep cleaned... I wish I could recall more, but it was so long ago too. I will see if my Dad recalls anything about it when I see him... He was there when we picked it up...

Thank you Biachi Girl... I will hopefully have more information.
Old 03-10-10, 02:38 PM
sc02ma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help Identifying My Vintage Bianchi, It could be rare

Call all vintage bike experts,
I have a vintage Bianchi bike in my garage and I have been scouring the internet and this forum to identify it. The model number is Bs583580, and it has a suntour rear derailler. Check out the pick. Obviously the handlebar tape and pedal are not original.

thanks for you help!
Attached Images
bike.jpg (8.2 KB, 505 views)
Old 03-10-10, 09:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hello sc02ma, welcome to the forums. I do not think your Bianchi is rare and there fore extremely sought after (aka valuable) the Bs # is the serial number and maybe Tmar can identify it from that. your pic is too small to see any detail. can you post some better pics? if your having trouble PM me and I will give you an email and I will post them. close ups of the drivetrain, BB area and headtube luggs will help.

what color is the bike? do the derailleurs, cranks, or brakes have any name other than suntour, shimano? are both wheels quick release?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-15-10, 01:57 PM
sc02ma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I checked out my bike and I can give you more info. The colour is gold with blue decals. The drivetrain is Suntour ARX. The crankset is Sugino. Both wheels are quick release. The shifters are downtube. Once again the model number is Bs583580.

Any guesses?
Old 03-15-10, 08:51 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

that sounds like maybe a mid '80s Sport SS or something. if I was at home I am sure I could track it down better. I do not think * Bs583580 * is a model number. if that number was found on the bottom of the frame by the pedals it is the serial number. the model NAME on Bianchis is normally on the toptube near the headtube.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-16-10, 08:00 AM
sc02ma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1983 Bianchi Limited

Looking at the components on other bikes, mine looks like it matches up with a Bianchi Limited from 1983. Does that make sense?
Old 03-19-10, 11:52 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I do not see a Gold colored bike in the '83 catalog. the '83 Limited looks to equipped with a Takagi crankset 42/52T and Suntour Cyclone Fr and Cyclone II-GT rear.

do you have any better pics?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.