Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

seeking fixie/single speed guru recommendation

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 01:30 AM
LouisD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi
let me introduce myself,
I'm a young canadian student, and .. i'm not rich.
my last bike (a fixed gear) is pretty much dead due to biking 2 winters whit it + frame is rusted and bented
i'm also a deal seaker, i'm a patient man and seeking a good deal is part of the fun of the purchase

what i'm looking for
--------------------------------
under 700$ (new or great condition used)
i'm really NOT a flashy guy, I dont need a flashy bike, I need a good Bang for your buck, the bike could be all black or grey I coulnt care less
use : commuter around town
bike i would like ( either a road bike or a fixed gear) i'm leaning a little bit more for a fixed gear
I dont have my chart (dimentions) whit me, will have them tomorow
i'm 5'11 ( whit a rather long torso )
-----------------------------

good news is, i'm going to the U.S. for more then 48h in 2 weeks, so I was thinking that i could get myself a bike and bring it back myself ( the limit is 800$ )

my first real bike was a fixed gear, that i loved, so now, that i need a new bike, i'm either going for a road bike, or another fixed gear, but i'm a bit afraid of the maintenance attached to a road bike
because i like biking in the rain and early winter.
I have been reading about the new belt drive system, that looks more then briliant, I tried to read as much as possible on the subject, and to be honest, everything seems A+ for a fixed gear, but the price is a bit steep ( due to the new factor )
so i dont know if it is recommended

i was hopping some bike guru could recomend me a full bike that will last me more then 3-4 years if I take care of it

I did my homework, and those seems to be my main 3 options
but... this is where i'm at a dead end

kilo tt pro
Mark V
dawes sst steal or alluminium

ps: i alrdy have a ( O.K. - fenders, pedals, lights )
Old 07-07-13, 02:27 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Kilo TT

Not because I know it's the right choice but because sooner or later someone says it. I think it's a type of bike.

Now, bearing in mind that I'm an Aussie and learnt all I know about America from television and the internet (does this warp my understanding?), seeing you're travelling to the US and want to buy while there, wouldn't you be better served to tell us where you'd be so people can recommend shops who'll have the right bikes and look after you? You've got experience with what you like and need so that part of the decision making process will be easy.

Incidentally, the idea of travelling to another country with the view of bringing home a new bike sounds like a great trip. Make sure you enjoy it and brag on here about it afterward, it's not something a lot of people get to do.
Old 07-07-13, 07:42 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Some thoughts. If you ride a lot in wet conditions and use full fenders, a Kilo TT does not have room for them, nor will it accept wide (fat) tires. A far better choice would be something like a Kilo WT which is a dimensional copy of the Surly Steamroller. Also, the fork on the Kilo WT has eyelets for a front fender. It has decent wheels with sealed bearing hubs and a decent Sugino RD2 crankset. The only crappy part is the headset, and I'd buy a good sealed headset to replace it for about $50. Also, the stock pedals and saddle are crap, so if the ones from your old bike are worn out or poor quality, you'll want to replace them as well. Your total expenditure should be under $700.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-07-13, 09:38 AM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you located in Canada? If you are in a bigger city, my personal opinion would be to head to a bike co-op and take a look there first.

I only say this because you aren't overly concerned with the look of the bike, and you are looking for basic transportation. Being a student means locking your bike up for longer periods of time, and winter conditions in most Canadian cities can take a toll on a bike. I would personally head to a co-op, find something in the right size, and purchase/build it up that way. You can piece together a functioning, mechanically sound bicycle that you do not have an intense fear of losing to theft or ruining over a couple of years due to weather/locking up/etc. You should also be able to find a frame that will have fender and rack mounts, the ability to run wider tires, etc.