Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

my morning in Oslo

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

my morning in Oslo

Old 03-17-14, 04:06 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7

you have no idea of what you speak
Have you cycled much in Amsterdam?

Since you don't believe me here are quotes from individuals who live in and bike in amsterdam:

Bakefiets en meer:
Everybody knows that cyclists in Amsterdam generally proceed with caution but ignore traffic signals. One waits only when it’s either unsafe or the police are watching. Like it or not, that’s the practice.
Amsterdamize (from the comments):
I can attest to the fact that one of Amsterdam’s ‘unwritten rules’ is that you can ignore full stops or lights, you assess the situation (also based on the ped light Henry mentions) and ride safely across. I call it 100% sound anticipation.
Old 03-17-14, 04:08 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Let me provide you with some quotes from individuals who live in and bike in amsterdam everyday:

Bakefiets en meer:

Amsterdamize"
let me provide you with my experience THIS MORNING cycling in CPH.

people only stop when there is a car present. if the bike light is red and there's no car they'll still go.

this usually happens while the bike light is red and the cars have passed.

obviously, when it's 30 deep at the light, only the front few will sneak away

i think the article is sadly mistaken when it says that people in CPH allows follow the lights!
Old 03-17-14, 04:40 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
i think the article is sadly mistaken when it says that people in CPH allows follow the lights!
well i'll take your word for it since i've only visited...
Old 03-17-14, 04:53 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
well i'll take your word for it since i've only visited...
Old 03-17-14, 05:01 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trike_guy
I'm kind of curious to know how changing clothes to ride a couple miles is practical for anyone.
I was in the military;riding in my blues in 90deg weather was right out. Also not a very good idea from an OPSEC point of view.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-18-14, 02:12 AM
trike_guy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all due respect, I do not think Danish rigidity when it comes to traffic laws is necessarily admirable.

I much prefer the dutch approach -- if a light is red and motorists are absent (or hesitant) then everyone just does a *RED WAVE*.
Well Danes don't follow the rules too closely either. My own policy is to only run reds at small empty intersections. Got a ticket for that once, plain clothes bike cops in Copenhagen!

Still at this particular intersection in Oslo, its quite easy to miss a car turning across the bike lanes from behind, because it can happen from either side. You need to know the lights if your going to run them. I've witnessed a few abrupt stops due to that, at that intersection. Also needless to say, car drivers sometimes drive at dangerous speeds there (perhaps unfamiliar with the risks) which could really seal the fate of an inattentive red light runner. Poorly designed intersection IMHO.
Old 03-18-14, 08:19 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by trike_guy
Munkedamsveien by Sjøgata, right near at the Oslo-center end of the big "tour de finance" coastal commute route.

A person could ponder the Google street view for some time. The two-way bike path crosses the road on a crosswalk-looking thing, for example. Is this done in other countries, or just Norway? Also now I see there seems to be a single-lane bike path on the other side, which integrates smoothly with the crosswalk-looking area crossing the main road, and not with the sidewalk. Hard to tell what is for foot traffic and what is for pedaled traffic.
It's definitely done in the US. On Google Maps type in "scenic hwy 98, destin fl" and take a look at the street view where other minor streets come out onto Scenic Hwy 98. The street view is from 2007 and shows the striped crosswalk markings for the MUP path running alongside the road. This MUP is always full of walkers, runners, and folks riding slowly on rented beach cruiser bikes. Now take a look at the newer satellite images, which shows the crosswalk striping has been removed and instead 2 lines delineating the path across the road. The worst part, though, is that the stop line is now placed AFTER the MUP path crosswalk lines. So you frequently have cars pulling right up and into the MUP path, and if you're coming from west to east, almost no driver is watching for you in that direction as they're pulling out.

That path is super hazardous if you want to cycle more than 5 MPH so I always ride on the road in that area.

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 03-18-14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-18-14, 09:01 AM
trike_guy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
That path is super hazardous if you want to cycle more than 5 MPH so I always ride on the road in that area.
Sounds nasty. The same sort of thing happens in Oslo. The bike infrastructure can only be used after evaluating the circumstances.

Oh here's another lovely bit: in Norway, a biker on a crosswalk does not have the right of way, only people walking on crosswalks have the right of way over cars. So technically, a biker needs to yield to cars at each crosswalk. Can you beat that?

My wife is Danish, so she sees bikes in the road and she gets all annoyed, "what are they doing there" and so on. (Like an average American perhaps?) Going off topic --> People growing up in Copenhagen seem pretty shocked when they first see how biking is done elsewhere. A Danish guy she knew told her biking in Oslo was terrible with all the trolleys running around and unable to deviate to avoid bikes, and my wife still won't go anywhere in with the car traffic unless I'm dragging her along. After a life on a consistently designed and widely deployed network of (mostly) separated bike paths, I think lots of people look at Oslo or the USA and visualize bodies laying all over the streets. Amazing I think, someone who has basically been car-free her entire life, afraid to bike away from well-rehearsed routes.

I'm pretty sure separate infrastructure is the only way to get large numbers of riders, but the transition phase is ugly.