Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

organic cleaning solvents for maintenance and disposal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-14, 01:25 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'd just like to get a quick overview of what people use for cleaning their bikes. I've realized at this point that detergents and/or soap water don't work nearly as well as organic solvents such as paint thinner or gasoline. So I'm wondering what people use, why, and how they dispose of the garbage.

thanks
Old 09-13-14, 01:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
I use petroleum solvents exclusively for this job, but there's no disposal issue, because I save and reuse the solvents. I have three storage jars; 1st wash which is fairly dirty, rinse, which is pretty clean, then final rinse which is just like new. The particle dirt settles over time, so I can always decant fresh solvent for use, then return it to the jars.

As the solvents get dirtier, I move them down toward the dirty end, and replenish the final rinse jar with new solvent.

So far, over 50 years, I've never had to dispose of any solvent because attrition and evaporation do that for me, though I have had to dump some solid crud from time to time. I pour off the solvent, dump the crud onto newspaper, let it dry and dispose with the household trash.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-13-14, 02:05 PM
korbjonathan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we use all simple green to wash the bike and its parts. works awesome
Old 09-13-14, 02:24 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've used simple green. but it doesn't seem to work on the crummy parts on the inner crevices of the chain unless you drown it in a bath or something, which I think would be more cost effective with solvents than detergent.
Old 09-13-14, 07:56 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Please do not ever use gasoline for anything other than motor fuel. It is highly flammable, its vapors are explosive and will travel a long way to an ignition source. In addition it is toxic to breathe and by skin absorption. There are safer alternatives available.
Old 09-13-14, 08:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
I dump it in my drain oil that goes to the dump for recycling
Old 09-13-14, 08:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts

+ ...50/50
Old 09-13-14, 09:11 PM
spinachface

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone RB-1, Bianchi M.U.S.S, 1992 GT Bravado

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to use lemon juice for all of my stationary parts on my bike (levers, frame, seat post) and usually get everything else with either just water or sometimes water with just a hint of household cleaner (simple green, etc.). The lemon juice does a good job if you get any rust on your bike as well!
Old 09-13-14, 10:12 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I'd just like to get a quick overview of what people use for cleaning their bikes. I've realized at this point that detergents and/or soap water don't work nearly as well as organic solvents such as paint thinner or gasoline. So I'm wondering what people use, why, and how they dispose of the garbage.

thanks
Like others.
Odorless mineral spirits. I recycle and use it again. After cleaning the chain I pour it into a small jar. When the crud settles to the bottom, I transfer the clean OMS to a taller jar, and use the taller jar for the chain cleaning next time.
Old 09-13-14, 10:12 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I've used simple green. but it doesn't seem to work on the crummy parts on the inner crevices of the chain unless you drown it in a bath or something, which I think would be more cost effective with solvents than detergent.
My chain is the only part I clean with mineral spirits, and like Francis, I've never had to "dispose" of it -- you just store it in jars after using and let the crud settle out until you need to use it again. Everything else gets rubbing alcohol, water-based degreaser, soap and water, or whatever else is convenient. I don't put a high priority on having a shiny spotless bike.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-14-14, 06:07 AM
Mark Kelly 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
So far, over 50 years, I've never had to dispose of any solvent because attrition and evaporation do that for me, though I have had to dump some solid crud from time to time. I pour off the solvent, dump the crud onto newspaper, let it dry and dispose with the household trash.
Well you have disposed of the solvent, you've just done it by emission to atmosphere. Not the most environmentally friendly way of do so.

I would imagine, however, that in NYC you are a net 0.0000001% of the total hydrocarbon emission problem. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Old 09-14-14, 11:02 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
Well you have disposed of the solvent, you've just done it by emission to atmosphere. Not the most environmentally friendly way of do so.

I would imagine, however, that in NYC you are a net 0.0000001% of the total hydrocarbon emission problem. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
This doesn't seem to bother the people who lube their chains with WD-40 (which is mostly volatile solvents, and then needs to be reapplied often) either.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-14-14, 11:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
.... Not the most environmentally friendly way of do so.
.... I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
I don't lose any sleep over it, since I'm still working with most of the 1 gallon I bought over 20 years ago. OTOH- folks who try to be environmentally friendly might wonder where their multiple gallons of dirty detergent/water mix goes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-15-14, 09:26 PM
RandomTroll
Banned.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Orange oil works well for me, smells good, isn't really toxic (can make skin light-sensitive for some people).

You have to make sure to buy pure citrus oils. Lots of stuff that claims to have orange oil either has only enough for the scent, the rest water, or the rest the regular organic solvents. I buy De-solv-it.

I've seen some stuff advertised as safe, Pedro's?, but never used it.