Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-16, 11:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Rock Hill requires riders to go through a safety course. I took it last fall. It was fun. There were about a dozen of us in the class, but only two of us were approved to race. The other 10 were advised to attend more track practice events first. I did one practice too as it was right after the safety class. There are people in the infield yelling at riders if you do something wrong.

Also, I was approved to race Ds - Rock Hill doesn't use USAC for its race series - which is the lowest level of racing there.

And my comment earlier about the no greater than two category separation referred to road, CX and mtb, not track.
Old 06-10-16, 11:28 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
On the track thing.

When i did track in late 2008 and most/all of 2009 I had a lot of difficulties adapting. Okay, etiquette and such (go slow above blue line, pass on left, etc), but for me the big thing was no coasting. Of course I coasted a few times, my bike bucking under me. But it really affected my race craft. I had a hard time getting on a wheel and only after most of the season could I get close to a wheel. In fact it took sitting behind a moto during the pre-race-day warmup, hogging the first spot for about 5 laps, trying to touch the roller with the front wheel and finally doing so, before I could get within about 1 bike length to the rider in front of me. I also had problems with the aerobic component of the racing - I often got dropped before the sprints, like in scratch races, keirin, miss and out, etc, and just forget about any kind of TT effort like my almost 5 minute 3km "pursuit". Some of that was probably the drafting thing, okay. Slicing through the field, max power, that was okay.

Also I was grandfathered in as a 4 on the track, although I did all beginner stuff in 2008-9.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-10-16, 11:35 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
BRB. I need to go drop some upgrade requests.

Fear the carnage coming to the Cat 3 CX and Cat 3 Track races near you. I am allowed to wear body armor, right?
JD might have seen you in too many CX races to give you a 3 upgrade .
Old 06-10-16, 11:39 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, I think I have only ever raced like 2 CX races since JD became the upgrade guy. If I was the upgrade director there is no way in hell I would upgrade myself!
Old 06-10-16, 11:42 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TFW dz_nuzz is still better than me at cross.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
heh.
seriously though, how do i win that race?
Old 06-10-16, 12:05 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by mike868y
seriously though, how do i win that race?
First, realize that I've never won a race during the summer. All spring or late fall races (March, April, September, October). So I'm not the one to ask.

Having said that, at Walnut Hill positioning really helps. Being in the top 5 or 6 going into the last turn puts you in the mix, even if you are sort of blown exiting the last turn. I've hit the last turn about 20th, got totally boxed in, and I mean totally boxed in, and finished about the same, I think it was 18th to be exact. I never sprinted because of traffic. This may be less an issue tomorrow, not sure if field will be big or small.

Also, realistically, you should be able to go from the corner. It's 14-15 seconds if you wait about 50 meters. Most people can sprint just under 20 seconds, based on physiology and stuff.

However that depends on peak power. Unless you're putting down 1000w sustained in a sprint you won't have a chance winning the field sprint. In the 3s I now watch the fastest riders sprint away from me, and I can do about 900-1000w for 15+ seconds.

Really though I think that a noodly move would work best, sort of like my 2015 move, or Leon's Limerock Part Deux move. You go when it's sort of far out for a sprinter but inside a minute, sort of like a Waterrockets kilo move. So top of hill at New Britain (30 seconds) or after downhill at Limerock. For the New Britain move you need to be launched by a non-threatening rider, i.e. everyone discounts the two man move as doomed. Depend on the sprinters to mark one another and think "well I'll wait for him to go". Get 5 or 8 seconds gap. Win.

Although I did some big wattage for 30 seconds (I think 635w or so) when I won that 2015 race at Walnut hill, I never broke 1000w, and I think I barely broke 900w in my second jump out of the last turn. 800w peak on the hill, 600w peak to get to the last turn, 700w peak to get going after turn, 900w peak when I realized everyone had let a gap go, 500w peak when I thought I heard someone behind me. Those are not spectacular numbers by I won by an enormous margin, pretty much the most I ever won by in a field finish.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-10-16, 12:11 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
damn, thanks. i looked at the reg list earlier this week and there are definitely a few guys i expect to race it pretty aggressively. i've seen moves stay away there, so i'm divided between trying to follow smart moves or just saving myself for the sprint. i think i've got pretty decent legs right now and my license is still reg'd in CT, so I'd like to do well.
Old 06-10-16, 01:01 PM
carpediemracing 

Hm based on the start list I feel like I should do the M45. Not many guys from CT and those that are there aren't break riders nor are they sprinters.

Even the 3s. Staropoli was first or second last year, he was away in a 2 man group. I was convinced I could catch the break in the sprint, they had maybe 15s going into the last lap. I jumped sort of early and unfortunately for me my sprint faded after about 5 seconds. They actually sprinted at a decent speed, meaning surprisingly fast for 2 guys who were off for a couple laps. They won, I got 3rd.

I think we'll see a lot of day of race reg. The Facebook dust up about prize list equality probably scared off some pre-reg riders. I'm pretty sure I'm going but until tomorrow morning plays out I actually can't commit.

3s though. The good M45s ride away from everyone else because they're 1s that had been training for Nationals. In the 3s at least it's sort of under control.
Old 06-10-16, 01:23 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CDR, not sure if this affects your field decision, but I think FF Is going to NB for the 45+, and he is in great form right now. I'd bet on him to win solo or in a small break. He's not from CT but if any CT riders hold his wheel they could finish ahead of the field without necessarily outclassing everyone.
Old 06-10-16, 03:33 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even the 3s. Staropoli was first or second last year, he was away in a 2 man group.
yeah, that guy is really strong and rides really well. definitely on my watch list.
Old 06-10-16, 04:31 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Isn't the sprint at nutmeg a 'go early' sort of affair?
Old 06-10-16, 04:46 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Isn't the sprint at nutmeg a 'go early' sort of affair?

Not necessarily. The last corner is 250-300m from the finish and it's downhill and fast so it's tempting to go from there, but that is 20-25 seconds out.
Old 06-10-16, 05:47 PM
topflightpro

My wife reminded me this evening that tomorrow is our wedding anniversary. I complete forgot. She was a bit miffed at me for that one.

I always assumed that it was just a running joke that guys forget their anniversaries, but no one ever really forgot. Well, I forgot. I mean, after 10 years, does it really matter?
Old 06-10-16, 06:02 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've won there several times by being top six on the right at the flat on the top of the hill and staying right, starting the sprint whenever the other five go and claiming my space on the right before the squeeze 150m ahead of the line. You have to claim your space if you go on the right but it's the shortest way through and can be the best shelter as well.
Old 06-10-16, 06:03 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My wife reminded me this evening that tomorrow is our wedding anniversary. I complete forgot. She was a bit miffed at me for that one.

I always assumed that it was just a running joke that guys forget their anniversaries, but no one ever really forgot. Well, I forgot. I mean, after 10 years, does it really matter?
Yes.

You get one free pass.
Old 06-10-16, 06:30 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by globecanvas
CDR, not sure if this affects your field decision, but I think FF Is going to NB for the 45+, and he is in great form right now. I'd bet on him to win solo or in a small break. He's not from CT but if any CT riders hold his wheel they could finish ahead of the field without necessarily outclassing everyone.
I was like "FF"? Who's FF? The Missus piped up with the name. Oh. Right. My memory is fading hard. Ex-pro from Europe. I know him, technically CDR sponsored him for a few years about 20 years ago when he was the core of a cross-Atlantic team, Portuguese-American Cycling Team or something like that. A number of regulars at Bethel raced for them. He raced for the friendly rival I defeated in 2005 to win the Series.

Cat 3s for me. Less chance of a major break going up the road, at least the way it stands now.
Old 06-10-16, 06:44 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Not necessarily. The last corner is 250-300m from the finish and it's downhill and fast so it's tempting to go from there, but that is 20-25 seconds out.
I'd say 20 seconds max for a winning sprint. I wonder if there's a Strava segment for it. When I jumped about as early as I could in 2014 in a cross-headwind it was a 15 second sprint (14 really, based on power data) after about 5 seconds of moving to the left side of the rider in front of me. I held about 39 mph so not a very fast sprint. We weren't going fast out of the turn either so maybe 18 seconds if properly led out, meaning Mach 3 going into the turn so the exit is at 35 mph. With a tailwind it's a well-over-40-mph sprint.

I created a segment. I think it takes a bit of time to build it? Not sure. Walnut Hill Sprint.
Old 06-10-16, 06:57 PM
carpediemracing 

17 seconds for Sam R, that's about the fastest real time there. 42 mph. Teammate is listed at 45 mph, which I think is totally realistic for a top sustained speed but not an average speed from the corner.

I do it in 19 seconds, 38 mph avg, means I was going faster in the sprint. Hm. Screwy. Top speed 37, avg speed 38? Doesn't make sense.

Anyway from the corner is long but possible. From just before the corner I've seen done but I think that's a freak of nature thing.
Old 06-10-16, 07:29 PM
carpediemracing 

Now it looks wet for the 3s. Dry for the M45s. Arg. I'm gonna check my rain front wheel (my rear wheel has a rain tire on it by default).
Old 06-10-16, 07:38 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I know him, technically CDR sponsored him for a few years about 20 years ago when he was the core of a cross-Atlantic team, Portuguese-American Cycling Team or something like that.
Portuguese American team eh? I'm a total homer so that sounds cool. Btw today is known as Portugal Day, so if you know a Portuguese person, give them a high five or something lol
Old 06-12-16, 08:00 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Made the move. FWIW I wouldn't recommend getting a U-Haul tow dolly. I'd spring for the auto transporter (full trailer, all four wheels). The dolly was a nerve wracking pain in the ass and it damaged my car slightly. Got it all unloaded today though and I'm hanging out in my hotel room. First day tomorrow. Watching the Penguins now. No working ice machine, no fridge, but whatever.

My bike is sitting next to me, but I realized earlier that I left my pump at my in-laws. I've got everything else I think. I do have a couple CO2 in my seat bag, I might use one of them I guess, and guess at the pressure. Might try a ride after work tomorrow, we'll see.

The country around here is gorgeous. I love rolling hills and trees and views. Allentown itself is a bit rough, at least the way I came in.
Old 06-12-16, 10:02 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Made the move. FWIW I wouldn't recommend getting a U-Haul tow dolly. I'd spring for the auto transporter (full trailer, all four wheels). The dolly was a nerve wracking pain in the ass and it damaged my car slightly. Got it all unloaded today though and I'm hanging out in my hotel room. First day tomorrow. Watching the Penguins now. No working ice machine, no fridge, but whatever.

My bike is sitting next to me, but I realized earlier that I left my pump at my in-laws. I've got everything else I think. I do have a couple CO2 in my seat bag, I might use one of them I guess, and guess at the pressure. Might try a ride after work tomorrow, we'll see.

The country around here is gorgeous. I love rolling hills and trees and views. Allentown itself is a bit rough, at least the way I came in.
CO2 leaks pretty quickly, not sure why but it seems pretty consistent for me. If you can spring for a minipump from a local shop, or even an air pump (gas station, shop, etc) give that a shot.
Old 06-13-16, 07:27 AM
topflightpro

I finally joined the Performance Bike team program, or whatever it is called. I've lived in the land of Performance for seven years and did everything I could to avoid shopping there or joining. But since my wife will be working several hours away and renting a room, we decided to get her old bike working again so she can just leave it there. That meant buying a new wheelset, and Performance had Ultegra 6800 wheels on sale for $360 - I'm trying to get them price matched with Nashbar to $320 - plus for the members, they gave 30 percent back in Performance bucks, which I can use on other crap I know I'll need, like cassettes, chains or nutrition.

Now I just have to figure out a PM option for here. I'll probably just go with a Stages, simply because they are so cheap.
Old 06-14-16, 11:08 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whew. Battling burnout. I think next race will be Berger (maybe) or Cielo stage race (for sure). Double header weekend on a non-rested week took a lot more out of me than expected.
Old 06-14-16, 11:41 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We're going to Las Vegas next week (because apparently Sacramento just isn't hot enough in June). It looks like I can ride the Red Rock Canyon Loop from the house we're staying at, but would like to hit a group ride if possible. Anyone familiar with the rides in LV?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.