Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking for a full suspension bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 02:14 PM
bikebodenberger

Bikes: Merlin Extralight, Fuji Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks,

I really want to start mountain biking. I recently took a MTB trip out to Utah and rode the Wasatch Crest trail. We rented Santa Cruz Hightowers, so I was spoiled. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a Santa Cruz, so I'm looking for some versatile trail bike recommendations that fall in the $2,500 range. The frame doesn't have to be carbon. Thanks!
Old 11-01-16, 02:36 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
$2,500 will get you a lot of bike. Giant, Norco tend to be excellent values. You can sometimes find good deals at REI for Scott or Ghost models. There's always BikesDirect if you're comfortable with doing your own maintenance and sizing. BikesDirect HAL6 frames look decent, and the spec list is excellent for the price.

The best deal will be something your local shop has on an end-of-season sale. The model (and size) selection can be a little sparse, but if you find something go for it.
Old 11-07-16, 03:44 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
$2500 FS bike

I've been doing my research for a FS bike as well. The Kona Hei Hei is a lot of bike for $2499. Also on my list is the Specialized Stumpjumper base model $2900. its more money but its outfitted with some nice components like SRAM GX. Also, Santa Cruz has some nice aluminum frame builds for that same price point. The Tallboy has been around a while. Good luck shopping
Old 11-07-16, 05:36 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The 2016 models are being discounted pretty deeply right now. Might not be a bad idea to just hit up a few shops and see what kind of deals they're throwing around.

Old 11-07-16, 11:28 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Yeah I was/am also in the market and I know from Specialized dealers you can get a 20% discount on 2016 models if they still have any. Without knowing how much travel/riding style you are looking for giving you specific bikes is difficult.
Old 11-08-16, 07:28 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
For all around riding, Giant Trance is good, base model $2100 one step up $2700, or if you feel you need something closer to a downhill bike, Giant Reign is nice, base model $2900. If you were thinking plus size, little more expensive Cannondale Bad Habit, $3200, test rode one last weekend, very nice. rei.com is showing a Bad Habit on sale for $2600 https://www.rei.com/product/109135/c...cUUBoCg6vw_wcB

Last edited by hig4s; 11-08-16 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-08-16, 12:16 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Sounds like your a little new to all this.

Find a local bike shop you like and buy what they sell, forget this or that brand. You will need their support so support them.
Trust me on this.

Your second bike can be the Latest IN thing that you drool over. The advantage here Is you will now have more skill and know more about what bike will actually be best for you and you will be far less likely to crash your new high end bike

Follow me ?

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-08-16, 04:29 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebodenberger
Hey folks,

I really want to start mountain biking. I recently took a MTB trip out to Utah and rode the Wasatch Crest trail. We rented Santa Cruz Hightowers, so I was spoiled. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a Santa Cruz, so I'm looking for some versatile trail bike recommendations that fall in the $2,500 range. The frame doesn't have to be carbon. Thanks!
If you dont care about speed then Ill suggest a 6" travel bike. Trek, Pivot, Felt, specialized all have quality bikes. For your budget you can buy alot of bike. Id go 29" for sure.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg