Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 03-10-20, 05:32 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
No sacrifice is too great for style..........

Yeehaw! Last year a female colleague asked for gift tips for cyclist boyfriend. Showed here these... she found them hilarious but said the guy is a bit too old fashioned for such.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-10-20, 05:38 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Simple red...nice looking frame.
I saw this/identical frames on some forums. I personally like the brake cable in-and outlets, they and the brake bridge has the gazelle panto on them, although on the outlets its rotated by 90deg so it takes a while to see whats going on. However if i had to beat the clock with this i might curse the designer for the additional unnecessary weight. Luckilly i just have to adore it.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-10-20, 11:00 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Nice set of uncommon early Corima 4 spoke wheels for sale here at a reasonable price for anyone building a bike, no relation. https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/...omment15111914

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 03-11-20, 03:21 AM
Lattz

I will keep this brief on this very serious subject. Whatever belief system you happen to have, please pray that this Coronavirus is overcome in all nations and for those who are sick. Italy, where so many of these wonderful bicycles were made has been particularly hit hard and our positive thoughts and prayers are needed there as everywhere. I will only make one post on this but I felt it was important not to ignore this issue. I am also posting links from the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control that give practical advice on how to protect yourself https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ice-for-public and https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...revention.html I would advise you to do your own responsible research also.

I hope that in some small way TT Land will be a place where people can relieve a little bit of stress on happier things.
Thank you for this post, after all being being bike freaks admiring how a bunch various stuff can be put together put together in various different ways to form a transportation device/sport equipment/collector's item/you name it. we are all human being responsible for ourselves and others. I guess for most of us, TT Land and Bike Forums is the safe haven to switch the worlds problems off for a few minutes. Thanks for this great thread and again for this post.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-11-20, 07:13 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by m_sasso
Nice set of uncommon early Corima 4 spoke wheels for sale here at a reasonable price for anyone building a bike, no relation. https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/...omment15111914

Was in my mailbox just yesterday (got the wheels last week)
Likes For martl:
Old 03-11-20, 07:48 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by martl
Was in my mailbox just yesterday (got the wheels last week)
OOOOhhhh those are lovely congrats!
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-11-20, 02:58 PM
Lattz

After the Gazelles my curiosity drove me to check if the other Dutch brands mostly known for dutch bikes also made interesting things and found this one-off beauty from the second big name Batavus which got me for first sight. If anyone is interested i think it well woths the 2 clicks to get it translated here. I like the overall look the color is nice and of course that fork mounted handlebar (which looks both removable and adjustable) tops it off but have to say it looks way better as "naked" eye candy than functioning "weapon in action" with all those plastic covers.. but sure they had a purpose. Im mostly a fan of Italian bikes but as we say home "I would gladly get myself ashamed with this"

Last edited by Lattz; 03-11-20 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-12-20, 05:49 AM
Lattz

I always thought that these bikes with the handlebars coming out beneath the head tubes looked weird and misplaced. I acknowledge that it was done though and on some really nice bikes.
My eyes are naturally skipping the first part of the comment,cant help When I first saw such bikes with this handlebar -maybe still as a kid still with a folding bike - I thought "whoaa how far some people go for being famous" But the more I saw such bikes from Rossin, Colnago, Takhion and others the more I like it. Of course for a wall hanger, not for my commuting needs.
The bike is not bad looking and I will be looking at others from this make.
Here's another Batavus, I think this must have been their only "commercially available" model, in the black-red-white livery was used by the Dutch National Team, KNWU AMEV if we are right with Google Translator, the white one was on Catawiki, the colorful one is for VintageTTfan <joke ended> and the blue I don't know. Nothing Extremely fancy about it, I personally like those CLB bar-end brake levers and the dropped-top tube with the seatstay section.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-12-20 at 05:54 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-12-20, 08:38 AM
Lattz

...the only thing I would change would be to put bullhorns on it....
Why didn't you post the other one as well? They have two of them the other is with bullhorn and the pixel-decals.

They are artists, they always built nice bikes, since from the beginning they made it sure, they only want to build awesome ones, and I guess that is what they do today as well. I'm not much of a modern bike lover, but when I opened their website for the first time a few weeks ago, a blue (what I normally don't like) triathlon bike (what I normally also don't like) caused a temporary meltdown in my brain. What is also a nice thing about them, that they are literally in love with their pantograph. Not only that they have nicely panto'd everything back in the old days when "it was cool". I've seen examples, when people sent them their newer equipment to "help to make it worthy for the artisan frame" and they did it. The bike in your post is a really special one (its just odd that the site has 2 of them, they must have got them from the same collector), I'm anyway a fan of cromovelato, besides its not aging nicely, but this is great shape.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-12-20, 06:48 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
A few items came today for the Krono. 60mm black stem and the rear rim.

Im still playing with the handlebar position but I'm excited about how the build is going so far.

Likes For malcala622:
Old 03-13-20, 03:45 AM
Lattz

Yesterday finally I brought home mine (Somec Special - normal road bike from their early days) from the office garage at lunchtime, and just 5 minutes later, the BB broke in the daily beater Alan. So this morning I quickly threw over the handlebar, saddle and wheels to make the maiden flight to work. Didn't expect much, but I was amazed how nice it is.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-13-20 at 05:18 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-13-20, 09:27 AM
Lattz

Can we see a picture of it? Does not need to be a fancy picture. I believe an exception can be made for the fact that it is a road bike this one time.
Sure, although shame on me, after having it 7 days nothing changed since the unpacking. First is the unpacked state, as it arrived home (it also has a matching yellow Turbo). Unfortunately nothing really fancy and in a bad state. The second is from this morning after scavenging the Alan for the parts, just after the maiden flight to the office in a somewhat cleaner state. And one for the Tulip... a lot to do, like cable guides, repaint, decals, and in the long run a Camagnolo groupset.
Full Shimano 600 (not the collectors most precious artifact, but after 40~ years it works, like if it was its first day), the Wolber wheels are nice, and like new, stem, seatpost and handlebar are ITM.
In one of our films there's a scene which fits here: "man bites in lemon. Whats THIS? -This? It's our new orange! -Orange? This? - Well, its a bit more yellow, a bit sour, but its ours!"

Last edited by Lattz; 03-13-20 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-13-20, 11:22 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
Give me your thoughts on this bike, experts.
No expert, but while the frame is magic, I can’t endorse the mid 90’s 9 speed groupset with mid 80’s Cobalto brakes and early 80’s shifters and headset. Sorry.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-13-20, 11:24 PM
P!N20

Originally Posted by Lattz

Man, I wish I could find a Somec in this sort of condition.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-14-20, 11:14 AM
malcala622

I doubt the TT with Campy discs gets ridden...no pedals
Old 03-14-20, 01:57 PM
P!N20

Also, I would love to know what specific group set you would have used on this frame and what year you think the frame is.
Given the aero mount shifters, I was going to say early 80’s, but if those cobalto brakes are original, it’s more likely late 80’s. So in the case of the former I’d go a Nuovo Record groupset, or C-Record for the latter. (I’d probably put C-Rec on anything! )
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-14-20, 03:59 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Sounds good to me....consistency, like you said earlier, tends to look better and period correct also. Good to have you back around these parts and hope you are doing well........

Since I was wondering where you disappeared to I was planning to show an Australian lo pro in your honor...now that your back I will show it anyway....keep in mind it is mainly for the frame, disc wheels, and saddle......

The owner claims: "1985 (approx) Clamont Road pursuit bike. Built by legendary Australian bike builder, Geoff Scott. Geoff built 5 bikes at the time for top New Zealand riders." Know anything about this?
Based on the style of the Columbus and MAVIC decals, it's no older than a 1988 model manufactured in late 1987.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-14-20, 04:55 PM
P!N20

Good to have you back around these parts and hope you are doing well........
Don’t worry, I never go too far.

I don’t know much about that particular Clamont, but I do know Geoff built many frames for Olympic competition.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-14-20, 08:11 PM
malcala622

Hmmmmm....interesting presupposition.......I suppose since she is walking out of a bike shop though.....she might have bought the rare bike (was probably expensive) without the pedals included and now she is going to get appropriate pedals somewhere else. Since those Campy discs are not cheap, I would think she might be picky about the pedals. You can buy pedals after you buy the bike.....

Also, at this point in my life, I have never walked out of a bike shop with a Takhion with campy discs....so I am inclined to give her some credit.......
Or maybe she wants to keep dirt off the tires as much as possible. I do the same when carrrying my bike from garage to house after wiping down the tires lol.

Here's a mock up for you of my TT with the H+Son rims. Im in love with them.

Both rims look like 700c dont they.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 03-15-20, 12:20 AM
P!N20

Originally Posted by malcala622

Wow. Spoke-less wheels!
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-15-20, 03:59 AM
T-Mar

I wondering if the Clamont might be one of the New Zealand team's 100 Km TTT bicycles for the 1988 Seoul Olympics? The frame style does resemble that of the 1 Km ITT track frame used by New Zealand's Tony Graham' during those Games.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-15-20, 05:20 AM
Lattz

This one goes out to Lattz........Its finally Takhion Day...here at TT Land
OH
MY
GOODNESS....
That is really a well curated selection of this fine bike! Many thanks for it!!!! I got hybernated for a day or so and bammm what happened?? Feel tempted to try my ongoing luck series with these ones but I truly afraid that i'd actually find some affordable hidden gem (like with the Rossin the Alan and the Somec) and would wake up walking down to the office post asking if theres a package for me.
The guy in the "Indurain" helmet is awesome maybe he tries to draw thieves' attention away from the bike.
That radical handlebar and all these nice colors.... wow. And what I always find super is these fluidisk wheels on Soviet team machines. The state furniture factory might have made not really artistic furnitures for the masses but quite a few of them reborn as pure art in the form of a disc wheel and exactly those furnier patterns which make these wheels interesting were dark and boring if not depressing in their original context - love it.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-15-20, 02:33 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
I am not a big Nago fan however I do appreciate this bike and its paint scheme.

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 03-16-20, 04:31 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by malcala622
Or maybe she wants to keep dirt off the tires as much as possible. I do the same when carrrying my bike from garage to house after wiping down the tires lol.

Here's a mock up for you of my TT with the H+Son rims. Im in love with them.

Both rims look like 700c dont they.
This bike looks so cool (not only because I'm a Celeste fanboy as mine was the same variant of the color), congrats and keep up the good work! By default, I'm a road bike guy, who adores TT bikes for their radical shapes, and pista bikes for clean look caused by the considerable less parts. When I'm looking at pics of bikes which both have a corsa and a pista version, I always have a "the grass is always greener on the other side" taste in my mouth mixed with the everyday commuting experience how cool is it to have proper brakes and derailleurs.
So if you could go on and drop a mail to Franco Sbarro how to make your bike hubless I'd have a new category to admire.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-16-20, 08:26 AM
T-Mar

Here's one that I don't believe has been posted in this thread. It's Jocelyn Lovell at the 1982 World Championships on his unique 1 kilometre bicycle. Besides designing and constructing the frame himself, it has an ingenious, automatic shifing, two speed drivetrain of Jocelyn's own design, that did not violate the UCI rules prohibiting derailleurs on track bicycles. If you look closely, you'll see that the bicycle has both left and right hand drivetrains!

The right hand drive is the lower ratio "start" gear and it used a single speed freewheel. The left hand drive is the higher ratio and uses a fixed gear style cog that is not locked in place. This cog is mounted on an extended threaded section, similar to a freewheel hub. At the start, the cog starts to unthread itself, causing the drive to take place though the freewheel. When the cog hits a stop it takes over the drive, causing the "start gear" to freewheel.

In addition to providing a suitable difference, the two ratios had to provide similar chain tension. Jocelyn settled on 42T x 13T and 53T x 15T, which allowed him a low gear for about the first 70m. Lovell had won silver in the event in 1978, missing out on becoming World Champion by a fraction of a second and had hoped his invention would give him an advantage in acceleration to make up the difference. While, the dual drivetrain functioned as intended, Lovell was not in peak form and finished out of the medals.

Of course, the real significance of this bicycle is that it can't be photographed from the non-drive side.

Likes For T-Mar:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.