Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 08:21 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
+1 to both of those comments. I'm a big fan of the chuck to the point of having put a lezyne hose on a cheap nashbar pump, but I have also screwed out a valve core (that I didn't know was removable) on my hardest wheelset to change tires (GP4ks with Pacenti SL23 first edition - I've heard the new ones are easier to change).

Has anyone tried those silca chucks that work like a pneumatic tool to change from presta to schrader? I picked up a silca pump dirt cheap at a garage sale but some of my wheels the stems don't stick out far enough for the regular silca chuck that just slides on to grab well enough to stay on when pressure gets high, so I thought I might tried that other chuck as it threads on. I could just buy tubes with longer stems, but I just got a lot of the short ones and want to use them up.
My Silca pump was an unmitigated disaster. First the rubber gasket used in the pump wore out - basically threaded valves wear at the edges to the point air leaked. It was an easy thing to replace. Then the leather gasket inside the pump wore out. I bought a replacement. It worked OK, until the plastic piece that supports the leather gasket broke. I could not fine a replacement for that. I ended up buying a series of washers at the hardware store until I could make it more or less work. Still, it doesn't work great. I had always heard Silcas were supposed to be the last pump you buy, but I did not find that to be the case.

I hear the new $450 Silca is supposed to be awesome, and should I ever win the lottery, I might buy one.
Old 06-16-16, 08:31 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
England vs Wales in the morning, MNT vs Ecuador in the evening. I better get cracking working in the mean time. perhaps i should do some bike maintenance while watching
Old 06-16-16, 09:01 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
England vs Wales in the morning, MNT vs Ecuador in the evening. I better get cracking working in the mean time. perhaps i should do some bike maintenance while watching
Meh. Still in it though.
Old 06-16-16, 09:15 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My Silca pump was an unmitigated disaster. First the rubber gasket used in the pump wore out - basically threaded valves wear at the edges to the point air leaked. It was an easy thing to replace. Then the leather gasket inside the pump wore out. I bought a replacement. It worked OK, until the plastic piece that supports the leather gasket broke. I could not fine a replacement for that. I ended up buying a series of washers at the hardware store until I could make it more or less work. Still, it doesn't work great. I had always heard Silcas were supposed to be the last pump you buy, but I did not find that to be the case.

I hear the new $450 Silca is supposed to be awesome, and should I ever win the lottery, I might buy one.
The reason for that is the Silcas were the first pump where you could buy replacement parts without too much hassle. Shops had the gaskets and such. Even the frame pump pieces were sort of available, replacement heads and the like. Plus it seems that whenever a shop had a broken frame pump they cannibalized it for parts less readily available, and since the plastic Silcas broke pretty easily there was always an influx of "can you fix this pump?""No""What should I do with it""Can we keep it, give you a break on a new one?""Sure".

The thing about Silcas is that it's easy to MacGyver them to keep pumping air. You may not have any idea how much pressure, the hose may be 12" long because you cut it down a bazillion times after it split at the base, it could be on its 20th leather washer, but the damn things still pump air.

I still have a Silca floor pump. Gauge stopped working a long time ago, like 20 years ago. I used it to chip ice at the Spring Series one year, broke the base in two pieces. I haven't fixed it but I still have both pieces. I keep misplacing the broken off half of the base, find it every 5 or 7 years, then promptly forget about fixing it. It's my super back up pump.

I bought a trio of Bontrager base level floor pumps with the auto-adapting head. Not impressed. Gave one to some random person at a race that didn't have a floor pump. I bought 10 pump head valve gaskets because when they're not fresh they don't hold easily and it's a real pain pumping up a presta valve where less than 2 inches of valve isn't showing (the pump head won't lock on so you have to pull the valve out of the rim while you push down with the pump head).

I like my Blackburn floor pump from the mid-90s. I bought it when I broke my Silca, then bought at least 2 more. I probably sold 40 or 50 at the shop, it was my favorite floor pump. Double sided head, easy to lock on even if there's barely any valve showing - the act of locking it actually pulls the valve up out of the rim a bit. Hose loops over handle so handle doesn't extend when packing. Hose cracks at base every 7-8 years, probably because the base area gets stressed if you tug on the handle when it's packed up (because hose holds handle down). I've done 3 cracked hose repairs, each time shortened the hose by about 1-2 inches, and two of those times the hose split at races - in about a minute I was good to go because it's a tool free attachment hose->pump-body. I just pull the broken piece off and if the hose is even marginally square it will hold onto the pump body. It's my go-to pump, the one I bring to all the races.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-16-16, 09:46 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I signed up for a cycling study, where blood draw is involved. There are 4 "complete blood draws," each containing 2 tubes. Anyone who's done this type of stuff know what the process is like?
Old 06-16-16, 09:58 AM
topflightpro

I went by the shop this morning to pick a new helmet and some tubes. They had an eTap group in - it was special ordered for another guy. I snapped a quick pic of it and texted it to my wife, telling her they had it in stock so I bought it. Ok.

She wrote back a few minutes later, saying, yeah, sounds great.

Anyway, it's a good thing I have self control, because my wife is terrible at telling me No, I cannot buy things.
Old 06-16-16, 11:05 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I went to a different shop (W.W for you Boston area folks) to look/maybe try some stuff. I'm hanging out like 15 mins by myself and then the sales guy finally comes and talks to me and I mention a couple of models I'm considering and then he says you ought to consider a BMC, and takes me over and shows one particular model it to me, and then just walks away lol I'm standing there with a jersey (and shorts under my sweatpants), clearly not my hanging around gear, and it doesn't even occur that I may want to try out some stuff? Weird interaction.
Old 06-16-16, 12:06 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I signed up for a cycling study, where blood draw is involved. There are 4 "complete blood draws," each containing 2 tubes. Anyone who's done this type of stuff know what the process is like?
you probably ride on some ****ty computrainer in a lab and die of heat and they come every 15 minutes or whatever and steal your blood. If they want you to swallow a thermometer lead, run the other way! Not worth it!
Old 06-16-16, 12:11 PM
hack

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But you get free datas that are borderline unusable to you as a rider because they're not collected in an environment that is in any way consistent with how you'd really ride ...
Old 06-16-16, 12:48 PM
topflightpro

The thermometer used in the study I had was like a small pill. I swallowed it, and I assume I pooped it out at some point.
Old 06-16-16, 02:38 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
you probably ride on some ****ty computrainer in a lab and die of heat and they come every 15 minutes or whatever and steal your blood. If they want you to swallow a thermometer lead, run the other way! Not worth it!
they use kickr as the trainer. I see those on strava all the time, and haven't really gotten to really use one before. and I'm sure the thermometer would be pretty inert, with some kind of plastic coating, encasing a small transmitter.

Last edited by spectastic; 06-16-16 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 02:39 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
so the blood samples aren't a lot, right? like 5mL per tube? do they have to poke a new hole every time? what blood values do they test for? I would gladly have my blood work done. always been curious what my hermatocrit level is, along with other stuff.

Last edited by spectastic; 06-16-16 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 03:03 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
If you're near Austin, I know a guy that's very familiar with it!
Old 06-16-16, 03:05 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
If you're near Austin, I know a guy that's very familiar with it!
do tell.

does he race for elbowz or elevate?
Old 06-16-16, 06:40 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
so the blood samples aren't a lot, right? like 5mL per tube? do they have to poke a new hole every time? what blood values do they test for? I would gladly have my blood work done. always been curious what my hermatocrit level is, along with other stuff.
When I get a physical done I get all that automatically. I just ask for a copy.

I had blood drawn for an A1C test, hopefully it'll have all that info (it did before but that was a general workup, not sure about the A1C specific test).
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-16-16, 07:20 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Soccer in this country is weird. Our national team is playing in the knockout stage of a kind of big deal international tournament, and the bar I went to watch it at didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked them to put it on. Crazy.

I've also read that the food here went downhill, but my server didn't even ask if I wanted food. I guess it is late, but still.
Old 06-16-16, 07:52 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
When I get a physical done I get all that automatically. I just ask for a copy.

I had blood drawn for an A1C test, hopefully it'll have all that info (it did before but that was a general workup, not sure about the A1C specific test).
I haven't had one of those since I've had to drop my drawers and cough
Old 06-16-16, 09:26 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Soccer in this country is weird. Our national team is playing in the knockout stage of a kind of big deal international tournament, and the bar I went to watch it at didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked them to put it on. Crazy.

I've also read that the food here went downhill, but my server didn't even ask if I wanted food. I guess it is late, but still.
damn, first time i think i've ever had this much dislike of a team. all the dirty fouls.
Old 06-16-16, 09:31 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
damn, first time i think i've ever had this much dislike of a team. all the dirty fouls.
Watching Pol-Ger as wife can't take the USA game.
Old 06-16-16, 09:33 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I can't believe the US player got a straight red for barely touching a guy who was coming at him. Never should've been 10v10, and now the US is down like three good players for the semis. Oh well.
Old 06-16-16, 09:40 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by Doge
good choice. i need another beer to calm myself down enough to sleep...

I can't believe the US player got a straight red for barely touching a guy who was coming at him. Never should've been 10v10, and now the US is down like three good players for the semis. Oh well.
thankfully, that ended up being a moot point as Jones was going to miss the next match regardless.

You are definitely right that it's a Pyrrhic victory. So Bedoya is out along with Bobby Wood and Jermaine Jones. Nagbe can probably replace one of them but doesn't seem to have that mean streak of Jones. Don't know who should replace the other mid-field player. Losing Wood also removes the excellent hold-up play, and i'm not sure Dempsey is cut out to play such a role... Now if we only had Johansson or Altidore...

Perhaps we should have brought in Alfredo Morales or Danny Williams
Old 06-16-16, 09:51 PM
Flatballer
No matches

yeah, we're down three good players, and we're playing (almost certainly) Argentina and Messi. That probably won't go well. Making it that far already is super impressive though. They weren't supposed to make it out of that group.
Old 06-16-16, 09:53 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
This weekend Daniel is doing he real real last junior races (there is a crit the day before we fly to college next week but that is "out") - the Victorville RR and Crit.
He's been slacking on training, running in boots. So doing his first junior local races of the year.
As of this AM.
Sat - 17-18 RR - 3 entries. One kid has no ride history. Looks like first race. Supposed to be 93 degrees.
Sun - 17-18 Crit - 3 entries - ditto. Supposed to be 98 degrees.
Sun - P12 - 8 entries. Supposed to be 104 degrees.
Forecast for Mon is 109.
Old 06-16-16, 10:05 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

yeah, we're down three good players, and we're playing (almost certainly) Argentina and Messi. That probably won't go well. Making it that far already is super impressive though. They weren't supposed to make it out of that group.
either way, we get two more matches to watch. Heck, there's even the possibility of a rematch of USA vs Mex in the 3rd place match
Old 06-17-16, 05:47 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Bad call, that match was horrible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.