Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

First FG, Pedaling Through Turns?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

First FG, Pedaling Through Turns?

Old 10-21-19, 12:32 PM
drPhilGandini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bedtime
My peddles touch, too,and I don't even have to lean in much at all. My bike was initially a road bike. The cranks are 170 mm, ugh. To make matters worse, my peddles are quite long.

Doing tricks, such as steering with feet, can be tricky, as falling from such a position wouldn't be easy to bail from.

I have one ever so partial remedy, but I cannot speak for your safety, unless it is done correctly. Chances are this issue has resulted from using a road bike which has vertical dropouts; so, you could gain a 1/4-1" by using a dropout converter and solve the chain tension problem in one go.

BUT! You must install it correctly, or your bike will be even more dangerous! That may involve welding, so it doesn't move.

I haven't done this yet but am still thinking it over.

Just an idea.

This is actually a pretty neat idea. If you could index the track dropouts to the that threaded hole above them, you would increase the security of the setup significantly.
Old 10-30-19, 02:59 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Get fatter tires and a shorter crankset.
Old 10-30-19, 04:12 PM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I bought a used pair of peddles which stuck out about 1.5 - 2 cm shorter. It seems that was enough to solve the issue for the most part.