Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Broken clavicle

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-19, 01:17 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Broken clavicle

So it has now been a month since I broke my collarbone. I have worn my figure 8 splint faithfully. Should it still hurt? It is almost as bad as the first week. I'm worried that it is healing wrong. I go back to the doctor in 2 weeks.

It wasn't a "bad break" as breaks go.
Old 11-24-19, 02:58 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,497 Posts
clavicle?

speaking from my going over the bars brake,that first shot of pain was memorable but subsided with aspirin.I also used the figure 8 but a month & still in pain I think you should let the Dr. know sooner than 2 weeks.keep us updated & hope for the best.some info; "After the initial sharp pain, the area that is fractured will feel like a dull, constant ache that is made worse when the arm is moved or touched." https://www.emedicinehealth.com/broken_collarbone/article_em.htm#what_are_the_symptoms_of_a_broken_collarbone
Old 11-26-19, 12:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My broken and dislocated shoulder ached badly more than a year after the injury. I had to change doctors to find one ortho doc who'd listen, and then entire health care systems to make any progress.

Physical therapy helped some. It's a daily routine now. Chiropractors were useless or worse - one actually made the related neck injury much worse.

But it's a daily thing. A year and a half later, it's rare that I don't wake up in pain. I've taken over most pain management on my own. What really helped was massage therapy and an effective topical analgesic. And exercise, stretching, etc, almost every day.
Old 11-26-19, 11:13 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
So it has now been a month since I broke my collarbone. I have worn my figure 8 splint faithfully. Should it still hurt? It is almost as bad as the first week. I'm worried that it is healing wrong. I go back to the doctor in 2 weeks.

It wasn't a "bad break" as breaks go.
ouch somehow I’ve never broken a bone I have been lucky.
Old 11-26-19, 12:06 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I've done that 3 times. Last time I had a plate & screws put in. One year later I had the plate taken out, mainly because it the screws were not completely flush and they tented the skin a bit - which really hurt under a seat belt. This thing bugging you after four weeks doesn't really surprise me too much, unless it's getting worse versus better. Call your doc, tell the team there about your pain and see what they say. Maybe they'll want to image you sooner rather than 2wks from now. BTW, the titanium clavicular plate is now a great keyring, that only cost about $12,000.
Old 11-26-19, 12:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sorry to hear you are still so uncomfortable. thanks for sharing the pic. where exactly is the break?
Old 11-26-19, 01:30 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I've done worse. My X-ray showed about a 1" wide gap in the clavicle with a jumbled mess of bone shards in between. I wore my bandage for about 6 weeks. Whatever you do, don't take it off prematurely, or you risk breaking the partially-healed bone again. I did that once, and the pain was indescribable.

Mine is fully healed up now, including the partial tears to the ligaments on the ends of the clavicle. From 1995 to 2015, it was still giving me problems when sleeping or playing tennis, but it seems to be fully cleared up now.
Old 11-26-19, 01:51 PM
NomarsGirl

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
sorry to hear you are still so uncomfortable. thanks for sharing the pic. where exactly is the break?
Midpoint on the bone. You can see a diagonal line where one doesn't belong. The x-ray really surprised the doctor because I didn't have any bruising at all so he was shocked that it was actually broken. Apparently, it isn't a very bad break and the doctor says I will never know it was broken once it heals. I think it's uncomfortable because it is healing. I haven't needed anything stronger than Aleve for the pain. It just stinks because it is the right side and I am right-handed.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 12-01-19, 09:22 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
The clavicle should 'stitch' together pretty quickly. The best 'harness' while healing is a device that fits across your back (it continues around your torso and anchors against rotation with a loop to the other arm) and has a 'tab' that reaches between your arm and chest and wraps around and in the front of your arm against your bicep muscle to pull your slinged arm and shoulder rearward. This pulls the clavicle back and allows it to heal without shortening which is what the 'Figure 8' harness will do. The Figure 8 harness compresses the broken bits causing misalignment. Ask me how I know. My right shoulder is about 1 cm closer to midline than the left shoulder. You shouldn't have any pain from the clavicle at 2 weeks out much less 1 month so your pain is from some collateral damage. Soft tissue imaging may find the problem. Good luck.
Old 12-26-19, 02:07 PM
NomarsGirl

8 weeks out now and feeling ALMOST completely normal. Still trying not to lift anything heavy over my head. Was tempted to bring the bike out during the good weather, but I've settled for spin class instead. It's kicking my butt!
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 12-27-19, 07:04 AM
Phoenix800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
8 weeks out now and feeling ALMOST completely normal. Still trying not to lift anything heavy over my head. Was tempted to bring the bike out during the good weather, but I've settled for spin class instead. It's kicking my butt!
Congratulations on your clavicle recovery! I wish you the best in regaining your speed.
Old 12-27-19, 08:03 AM
NomarsGirl

Originally Posted by Phoenix800
Congratulations on your clavicle recovery! I wish you the best in regaining your speed.
Well, I was pretty slow to begin with.

If spin class is any indication, I should be much faster in the spring. I allegedly rode 23.4 miles during my 55 minute class. I don't believe that for a second. But I'm pretty sure it was better than my usual 12-14 mph. I'm certainly feeling it in my legs today.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 12-27-19, 05:24 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Glad to see you are on the mend. You'll be out on the road, wind in your hair, before you know it.