Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dropout washer coming out of carbon frame: Warranty Issue?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dropout washer coming out of carbon frame: Warranty Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 04:33 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
A lot over over thinking here. The washer only protects the carbon. It's not a structural member. Some contact adhesive or super glue would also work to hold it in place. All it has to do is not fall off.
Yes, well, this is Bike Forums. Where any innocent question or statement can be responded to with obdurate opinion without data in the most inflammatory manner!

I agree with you, but at the same time, the manufacturer's approach to bonding failed so perhaps its amusing to consider how best to remediate. Plus, the general question regarding other uses of epoxies and CF. At least it amuses me....
Old 11-28-19, 10:36 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Wiz,
I use the 3M bonding adhesive exclusively in repairing golf clubs. The shear strength there is paramount in keeping the epoxy joint together as is indicated by my $1m insurance policy. But more to the point in this discussion, is the amount of adhesive in the joint. I have a few years of experience in this and the best adhesion amounts are between three and five thousandsth of an inch. Less and there is epoxy starvation, and more means the epoxy needs to hold up to the stresses of the 2800 psi needed for golf shaft to golf head for proper installation. If the epoxy exceeds the amount of minimum needed, the bond can break internally and fail. Same with starvation, but harder to achieve with what I do. HTH, MH
Old 11-29-19, 10:33 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I use the 3M bonding adhesive ... I have a few years of experience in this and the best adhesion amounts are between three and five thousandsth of an inch. Less and there is epoxy starvation ..., and more means the ... epoxy exceeds the amount of minimum needed, [and] the bond can break internally and fail. Same with starvation, but harder to achieve with what I do. HTH, MH
MH, Thanks. I can see that if the club heads are bored properly, and the shafts are of proper size, then you should be able to know the epoxy thickness very well. Is centering the shaft in the club bore an issue?

BTW, my (late, alas) father was a PGA touring pro briefly, and my grand-Dad was a PGA teaching pro. Dad played to a minus 2 in his prime. I irony is that I could never play to save my life. Sigh. You may find it interesting that Dad played with a custom set of MacGregor Tourney clubs - Tru-temper extra stiff shafts. He was wiry (6 foot and probably 170 pounds) but was very strong. The last time we played I was in college. I was on the Wisconsin football team. 6'2, about 220#. My Dad drove and I followed. I happened to really "hit it on the screws"*.
"I think I finally out-drove you, Dad!"
"Yeah, well, you had to pick on an old man to do it".
But in truth, he actually had me by 3 yards. I never did out-drive the guy.

*For non-golfers, that means I really whacked it well.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 11-29-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-29-19, 08:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Wiz,
Sorry about your loosing of your Dad, I went though it a few years back, but it is never easy. Glad to know you know the terminology of the industry, and it is always good to meet a fellow golfer. I am sure the industry is marching forward, but the epoxies I use are the cutting edge and they are some of the best shear strength I have found.. As always I have to keep up with the latest and greatest on the market in my world. I trust all is well and you are doing fine, Smiles, MH
Old 12-20-19, 11:40 AM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Just an update. The manufacturer, Wilier Triestina, has offered to send me a replacement washer for me to glue in myself, so some of your suggestions on epoxying will be helpful. I expressed my dissatisfaction and was hoping for better. Guess I should have bought a Trek or Cannondale....
Old 12-20-19, 12:17 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Chris O
Just an update. The manufacturer, Wilier Triestina, has offered to send me a replacement washer for me to glue in myself, so some of your suggestions on epoxying will be helpful. I expressed my dissatisfaction and was hoping for better. Guess I should have bought a Trek or Cannondale....
For a 2 & 1/2 year-old bike I don't think this is particularly bad customer service. I guess I would have hoped that they'd send a little glue kit but sending you the washer seams reasonable.

I'd clean the frame and washer, mix the epoxy, coat the part of the frame where the washer registers, and then clamp the washer in fairly lightly with the QR (per the discussion above you don't want too much glue in the joint, but you dont want to force too much glue out). Worst case? You'll need a new washer in another 2.5 years.
Old 12-20-19, 01:01 PM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
For a 2 & 1/2 year-old bike I don't think this is particularly bad customer service. I guess I would have hoped that they'd send a little glue kit but sending you the washer seams reasonable.

I'd clean the frame and washer, mix the epoxy, coat the part of the frame where the washer registers, and then clamp the washer in fairly lightly with the QR (per the discussion above you don't want too much glue in the joint, but you dont want to force too much glue out). Worst case? You'll need a new washer in another 2.5 years.
Yeah, that's what I'll do and just try not to epoxy the QR to the dropout.
Old 12-20-19, 10:18 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Chris O
Yeah, that's what I'll do and just try not to epoxy the QR to the dropout.
You can put a little oil on the QR and the wheel locknut before gluing.