Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clean and wax, or strip and paint? 1951 Carlton Massed Start

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clean and wax, or strip and paint? 1951 Carlton Massed Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-19, 08:01 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
All of this helps! Thanks for posting all the photo's. Some really nice examples out there... The CB pic is especially helpful in terms of a likely similar pre-condition.

I'm going to stay away from the Hans Orht of Beverly Hills decal, as well as the very special Carlton seat tube decal. Stay away in the sense I'm not going to soak the seat tube in O.A. for fear of further degradation of those decals. Appreciate everyone's input. Stay tuned!

Last edited by M1T; 12-04-19 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-04-19, 09:16 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
This frame should get a restoration by an expert. Don't ask me who the experts are but if the frame was mine no expense would be spared finding and employing said experts! This frame will most likely last longer than any of us if it gets a helping hand every now and again! It would be a darned shame to see the decals and other markings fade to oblivion rendering the frame unidentifiable. When that happens the frame will eventually end up on the trash heap for want of provenance! There are some really neat '30s and '40s frames for sale on eee-beigh listed as 'old Italian frame' and such. No I.D., no nuthin'. What a bummer. Unless somebody takes them in like a stray cat they may not survive. Good luck with that cool frame!
Old 12-04-19, 09:35 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I know I have posted this a few times before but If you want to enjoy it without spending $1000 or so on a pro paint job do the following. Strip all hardware off the frame and coat the entire frame heavily with Naval jelly after doing a test to be sure you won't take off the paint too. I have done this on a badly rusted old Raleigh 3 speed and other bikes and found that the naval jelly does not affect the paint. Then lightly rub out the paint with white polishing compound being careful not to rub off the decals. finally spray a clear coat using Rustoleum clear automotive enamel from Home depot( about $5. for a can). The above will clean the paint and bring out its color and the clear enamel will make it shine and protect the paint , decals and bare metal spots.
Old 12-04-19, 11:47 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
I have some repro Hans Ohrt shop decals. One of my kids is pretty talented and did the major work, with assist from AZORCH but it's a later one with both LA and Beverly Hills shops.

Old 12-05-19, 01:49 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
I know I have posted this a few times before but If you want to enjoy it without spending $1000 or so on a pro paint job do the following. Strip all hardware off the frame and coat the entire frame heavily with Naval jelly after doing a test to be sure you won't take off the paint too. ..
Hm. I've had problems with naval jelly and paint, so I wouldn't recommend that route myself. Oxalic acid, OTOH, has never wounded any paint (or decals) I've dipped in it.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 12-05-19, 09:36 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I have some repro Hans Ohrt shop decals. One of my kids is pretty talented and did the major work, with assist from AZORCH but it's a later one with both LA and Beverly Hills shops.

Pretty good job on that.
At the same time as the OP's Carlton, there was a Serviced By transfer- otherwise the same.
There are a few other versions, one with all three locations, the last being Westwood.
The bike rider was exchanged at that point for Lightweight Bicycles, Inc.
Then another dropping the Los Angeles location
the Last dropping the Beverly Hills location.
The Westwood shop is now occupied by Helen's Cycles. The end came in 1983-84.
Old 12-05-19, 05:34 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I peruse the "Carlton Cycles of Worksop" facebook group. Whoever is doing the Carlton refurbs in England does top notch work.

Old 12-05-19, 06:36 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
I am going to vote clean and wax, for what it's worth. The labeling is irreplaceable. That is some of the cooler stuff I have seen.
Old 12-16-19, 10:19 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
Thanks... clean, de-rust, go easy, and wax for now... I didn't realize what I had here. This frame will be treated with the respect it deserves. Thanks to everyone who read and commented...
Old 12-17-19, 04:54 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
First, whatever you decide, keep posting your progress here. We love this stuff.
Second, do check out the Carlton group on Facebook. They are a good bunch of folks and they love seeing stuff like this, too. And, as Big Chainring noted above, if you decide to go with a restoration, they can advise about who does a great job.
Old 12-17-19, 06:45 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Also, note that I've learned OA baths can dull/darken some translucent/metallic paint finishes. Always great on chrome or bare steel, but I would caution for testing on a less noticeable patch before sinking all that original gold lustre into the acid!

Originally Posted by M1T
All of this helps! Thanks for posting all the photo's. Some really nice examples out there... The CB pic is especially helpful in terms of a likely similar pre-condition.

I'm going to stay away from the Hans Orht of Beverly Hills decal, as well as the very special Carlton seat tube decal. Stay away in the sense I'm not going to soak the seat tube in O.A. for fear of further degradation of those decals. Appreciate everyone's input. Stay tuned!