Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for wheelset @ $300.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 08:25 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts

I'm looking to get a new wheel set for my fixed gear. I weigh around 250 lb. Not sure whether I should buy a prebuilt or have a set built. Was looking in the $300 area. I want to be able to run at least 32's with up to 35's preferred.

At Universal Cycles I could get some Grand Cru hubs laced to CR 18 rims with double butted DT spokes for around $300.

Velomine has the same rims on formula hubs with straight gauge DT spokes for around $135.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 12-09-19, 12:29 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Not sure what makes the VO hubs worth $30 more than Origin8/Formula hubs. I would go (and have gone) with Origin8/Formula and double-butted spokes.

Remember that just about any front wheel will work, what's special here is the rear wheel.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-09-19, 06:21 AM
rjmcgovern
RobbieMcG

Bikes: Pinarello, Wabi, Purefix, Trek

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I recently purchased a new wheelset from Velomine and am very happy with the result. I bought the H + Plus Archetype Wheelset 32H (Polished Silver) specifically because they can handle wider tires. The wheels are fairly light weight (Front: 998 grams, Rear: 1155 grams) but still fairly stiff. The hubs are Origin 8 and the spokes are DT Swiss. The spokes have a cool cross pattern that looks a little retro. The list price is $299 but are currently on sale for $209 (for the set). I called them and was very satisfied with their over-the-phone consultation.

Here is a link to the wheels:

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=3066
Likes For rjmcgovern:
Old 12-09-19, 01:03 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Archtype to gran compe high flange at Retro-gression
Likes For ceelint:
Old 12-11-19, 07:18 AM
rjmcgovern
RobbieMcG

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

@Steve|610: Here are the Archetype wheels mounted on my commuting bike. The bike is a 54cm Wabi Lightening SE and the tires are Tannus Portal 28's (airless tires)
Likes For rjmcgovern:
Old 12-11-19, 07:54 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Thanks for the pic. How are the airless tires?
Old 12-11-19, 08:20 AM
rjmcgovern
RobbieMcG

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The Tannus tires were a great decision. I now have them on both commuting bikes, and both of my road bikes. There are days when I think "in the old days I used to get flats and carry a tire repair kit." If you're reasonably handy you quickly acquire the skills to install them. The first tire took me about 90 minutes, and the last one took about 30 minutes. They're guaranteed for 5,000 miles, so they'll last a while. I liked them so much I also bought them for my son's bikes. There's only one sizing trick you need to know: the size is determined by the inner width of your rims. Meaning, measure the distance between the inside edges of the beads of each rim.

They're available in equivalent inflation of 90, 100, and 110 psi. I've learned that 110 psi in the rear and 100 psi in the front is right for me (150 lb guy). I've learned that they're slightly more narrow than the stated widths. For example, the 28 cm tires actually measure 26.5 cm mounted on my bike. This means size-up rather than down if you have space on your frame. The guy at Tannus told me the Portal 28's are the "fastest" tires they make.

Lastly, I've read reviews saying they're 5% less efficient. Honestly, I don't notice any difference. They roll and behave like normal tires on my bikes. I recently bought a pair for $55 per tire during their Black Friday promotion. Given that their is no tube, and they'll 2X longer, it's probably a good deal in the long run.
Likes For rjmcgovern:
Old 12-16-19, 12:14 PM
olicow9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice build. whats the stem?
Old 12-17-19, 06:45 AM
rjmcgovern
RobbieMcG

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It's the Leadtec LCS-7091 stem that came standard with the bike. I flipped it to make the handlebars lower. (I'm weekend road bike rider and prefer configurations that reduce wind resistance.)
Old 12-17-19, 09:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Thanks for the pic. How are the airless tires?
Airless tires were a fantastic idea back in the days of solid iron tires but then back in the late 1800s John Dunlop came out with the pneumatic tire which what we use today for good reason. Airless tires are excellent for smooth surfaces with zero imperfections but in practical real world riding they give a very harsh ride where you feel everything and not in a good way. Every few years someone says "brand new technology" but it is different iterations of the early 1800s solid rubber tires.

Fixing a flat is not fun but with good quality tires and proper inflation and doing your best to avoid glass piles and major potholes, you are less likely to have flats. If you are unsure of how to do it there are a ton of great videos and you can always practice at home. I would much rather have a nice comfortable ride and replace a tube every so often then have the harsh ride of an airless tire. Pumping two tires for about 30 seconds once a week (sometimes a little less) is not a big deal but the ride of airless tires is certainly not fun.

Now I will say if you put those tires on a full suspension steel or titanium bike with suspension seat post they might be just fine but that wouldn't be a practical bike for city riding.
Old 12-18-19, 07:29 AM
rjmcgovern
RobbieMcG

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
@veganbikes: I suggest you give them a try. I ride 6,000 miles per year over all kinds of roads. Honestly, I don't notice anything different between the tannus airless tires and the Conti 4000's I used to ride. In fact, on my commuting bike the airless tires seem to roll more smoothly on bad pavement. FYI, on my Wabi they added only 1 ounce of weight per wheel (over the Conti 4000's).