Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 12-07-19, 07:31 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
i guess Wellesley. Lame corporate marketing by advertising agency milenials that haven’t seen a stationary or real bike until Pelleton cut them a PO to film a commercial.
Well since we’ve veered into generational, Ryan Reynolds (Gen X) hired millennials to pitch his stuff to post-millennials.

BTW, definitely a Weston crowd, the bar is The Liberty Hotel-ish.

Meanwhile, guys around the country are still scratching their heads saying I don’t get what the fuss is about.

OK Boomer.

I want to ride my bicycle!

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-07-19 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 12-07-19, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
My road bikes sure can't handle that.
my “plan” is to use a hybrid w studded tires. Holding off on doing the same w my mountain bike. Hoping the snow will go away this week and we’ll be back where we were w bare ground a little longer before the usual long duration snow pack. So glad they plow the MM
Old 12-07-19, 08:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
We can rule out she is not actually in Boston, but maybe somewhere nearby? Let's see if we can guess where in Metro Boston they are supposed to be:

Story board below...

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Nice analysis @mr_bill. My guess is Weston
i guess Wellesley. Lame corporate marketing by advertising agency milenials that haven’t seen a stationary or real bike until Pelleton cut them a PO to film a commercial.
Well since we’ve veered into generational, Ryan Reynolds (Gen X) hired millennials to pitch his stuff to post-millennials.

Meanwhile, guys around the country are still scratching their heads saying I don’t get what the fuss is about.

OK Boomer.

https://youtu.be/H2t7lknrK28

-mr. bill
Only in the Hub…

I thought Weston because outside the window looked more exurban, like Weston, than suburban, like Wellesley, at least to me as a city slicker in Kenmore Square.
[from the now-closed thread] Indeed, I’m surprised that such a seemingly un-PC ad would be launched in our People’s Republic though there is a Peleton store in the Prudential Center in tony Back Bay.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-07-19 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-07-19, 08:24 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts

OK Boomer.

https://youtu.be/H2t7lknrK28

-mr. bill
the recent round of Peleton commercials has awoken my inner internet grouchy side. Albeit for mostly different reasons than what’s got this commercial in the news.

People need to shut off their gadgets and screens and smart phones and go out on a Spring day and ride a bike! Take the kids along too, go to a MUP and put them in a trailer/tag along, go hiking. Getting “motivated “ by someone on a screen is not as motivating as getting outside, meeting and talking to people. There are tangible physical and psychological benefits that no stationary experience could offer.....

im done ranting now, going out on my bike!

Last edited by Ghazmh; 12-07-19 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-07-19, 09:29 AM
Jim from Boston

the recent round of Peleton commercials has awoken my inner internet grouchy side. Albeit for mostly different reasons than what’s got this commercial in the news.

People need to shut off their gadgets and screens and smart phones and go out on a Spring day and ride a bike! Take the kids along too, go to a MUP and put them in a trailer/tag along, go hiking.

Getting “motivated “ by someone on a screen is not as motivating as getting outside, meeting and talking to people. There are tangible physical and psychological benefits that no stationary experience could offer.....

im done ranting now, going out on my bike!
I’m at work this morning, and posting has been a pleasant break from
tediously editing reports. I normally would ride my bike 14 miles home, but due to family activities, I have to rent a car.

My bike is at work though, and I would like to take a break for about an hour, and go for ride, Your post is motivating.

BTW, I did post to that now-closed Peleton thread,
I have been reading this thread, but with no intention to reply....

A woman professional in our organization, seemingly independent and “liberated” has in the past highly touted her Peleton to me

My wife and I were active cycling tourists in the 70s and 80s…I cycle commute and she rides the Charles River Bikepath and regularly works out, usually at Healthworks (a gym for Women)…

On occasion when asked what I'm buying my wife for special occasion, I reply, “a lovely ironing board cover.”

But seriously folks...
I finally watched the ad and I too thought the performance was over the top but probably typical of Madison Avenue. As I noted above though, my (female) colleague gushed about her Peleton.

The only suggestions I noticed of a Boston locale were the outdoor scenes in the background appropriate to Bostons climate, namely Winter and Fall.

Maybe an image of a strong woman would be of a year round outdoor cyclist.
So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here

Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think outdoor cyclists are their market. I talked to a male in my office who has a Peloton. He bought it right before his daughter was born because he knew that going to the gym after work was going to be problematic or getting her from daycare. He's never been a cyclist.

I think that's their real market--busy professionals and stay at home parents.
I would have replied before the thread closed that I agree with @livedarklions, but all the fury of the thread is directed towards the perceptions of the intent of the ad rather than the storyline itself.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-07-19 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-07-19, 12:13 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Anxious to get out after a week of limited riding I woke early and set out just after 5:00 for the slowest ride since my early days of not much more than riding my hybrid up and down the Charles between Watertown Sq and the MOS. I rode 16 miles and was so slow because the road was shiny which led me to assume every inch was ice even if it wasn’t. At 21 degrees one can’t be too careful. Again later this morning I was back out for 31 more. It was a much better ride! After that I cleaned the bike before the salt spray took up permanent residence on my drivetrain.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 12-07-19 at 12:22 PM.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 12-07-19, 12:41 PM
mr_bill

Almost a comedy while running out to do errands.

Walked my frozen driveway at 10:00 and decided that today would be a day for roads.

First stop Mass Hole Donuts. They honestly said I must really like their donuts to ride this morning. Answered that the weather is fine, the Mass Ave Holes on the other hand.

Next stop FedEx in Central. At least I remembered it’s a FedEx, but it is an Amazon.

Quick check of maps for the nearest FedEx, oh, Main Street near Kendall.

Hop on and away for plan B. Pull on the door, locked. Closed weekends. This time put on my reading glasses and search again. Closest open is in Burlington. Irony, the reason I’m not going to Burlington is I hate driving to Burlington, despise riding to Burlington, especially in December.

Fine, Plan C, UPS near City Hall. They let me roll in my bike. Finally errand boy ticks off one errand, one phone on the way to NYC.

Next stop is Staples in Harvard Square for ink. At least it was less than a Benjamin. Second errand boy checked off successfully only because I realized I had left the ink on the counter while unlocking the bike.

Back on the bike to Breadboard Bakery to get Danish Rye. Sold out, but the poppyseed koloche looked wonderful so got that.

Final stop Starbucks for first caffeine of the day.

Know what you mean about slow, lots of wet spots that probably weren’t ice, but promised spouse no drama. Four texts and two phone calls during the errands says my spouse was double triple quadruple checking drama.

Anyhow, there were only a few dozen Mass Ave Holes out and about, so they couldn’t spoil my morning.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 12-07-19, 05:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

lots of obstacles to getting out today but mission accomplished. Bedford to Spy Pond, 30 degrees, sunny, little wind to start, but toward the end, 3pm, it was cooling down quickly. what a great day to ride. the conditions on the MM were perfect. the 1st 1.7 miles from Bedford were rough snow covered icy footprints. but then it smoothed out & flat. saw a good number of other riders

very bumpy

pleasantly smooth

reg. water fountains, yeah, they're done for the year ...

good thing we are hearty New Englanders!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-09-19 at 03:43 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-08-19, 07:48 AM
rumrunn6

Glad I’m not riding this morning

Old 12-08-19, 09:08 AM
Ghazmh

It was a rather unpleasant 1.5 mile round trip @ 0630. I don’t wear fancy cycling clothes for errands. Just older casual cycling clothes that looks like regular clothes, with jeans and SPD shoes that look like sneakers. I’m waiting for it to warm up enough to semi-enjoy riding today.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 12-08-19, 01:08 PM
Ghazmh

Back out as planned on my Trek Boone 7 cross bike with Bar Mitts, Schwalbe Winter studded tires and my Bontrager Old Man Winter SPD boots for 33.84 miles. It was in the upper 20’s but the accompanying winter gear made it such a delightfully nice ride. I could have and should have rode my Honey Allroads as the roadside ice was inconsequential today.

10 years ago I hated winter and on a day like today I would have felt trapped inside with little else to do but sit on the couch with a 6 pack and lament on how long it’ll be until I can ride my hybrid up and down the Charles again. Instead today I basked in the sun shining on the beautiful snow covered fields with the crisp bite of the air scented with burning fireplaces. Don’t get me wrong I’ll still be sitting on the couch later with beer, maybe not 6 however. Today I’ll feel accomplished and content with the season we are in, thanks to cycling.

Today’s ride put me up to 7233.9 miles which just eclipses my previous yearly best of 7232.5 from 2017. From here on out I’m setting a record every ride until my last of 2019, ideally on Dec 31st.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 12-08-19 at 01:14 PM.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 12-08-19, 10:36 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
We lost a member of the Boston cycling community today. Tyler Oulton, the sole proprietor and lead wrench at Paramount Bicycle Repair, Ball Square, Somerville, died at Newton-Wellesley Hospital early Sunday morning after a long illness. In addition to being a damned fine bike mechanic, Tyler's resume included bicycle messenger, long-distance tourer, trumpet player (Mighty, Mighty Bosstones), hilarious raconteur, patient teacher, devoted husband, loving father, and good friend. He built several bikes for me and my kids that live on to remind us of him, and taught me what little I know about bike tinkering. He'll be missed.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 12-09-19, 05:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rholland1951
We lost a member of the Boston cycling community today. Tyler Oulton, the sole proprietor and lead wrench at Paramount Bicycle Repair, Ball Square, Somerville, died at Newton-Wellesley Hospital early Sunday morning after a long illness. In addition to being a damned fine bike mechanic, Tyler's resume included bicycle messenger, long-distance tourer, trumpet player (Mighty, Mighty Bosstones), hilarious raconteur, patient teacher, devoted husband, loving father, and good friend. He built several bikes for me and my kids that live on to remind us of him, and taught me what little I know about bike tinkering. He'll be missed.rod
Very nice tribute, rholland1951, especially since my son is a devoted fan of the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 12-09-19, 08:03 AM
rumrunn6

sorry to hear about the loss of your acquaintance/friend

Wifey & I recently learned of the passing of an old friend we haven't seen for over 10 years. we stayed friends with his Wife after their divorce. the distance & time makes it more difficult, I think, to process the passing & loss. his passing seems less emotional, but it's a surreal & grim kick in the head

wishing you nothing but the best memories

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-09-19 at 03:16 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-09-19, 01:10 PM
mr_bill

Other than the first shot is PGH, every(?) other shot in the trailer is Boston. What's it got to do with bicycles? Well, the world on a camera dolly does look a whole lot like the world on a bicycle. Plus there's ONE person riding a bicycle.

But it's got Ryan Reynolds (from American Aviation Gin above).

Anyhow, interesting to see Boston from a "video game" perspective. Could explain alot about people in cars around here. Also love the idea of the "NPC" taking control of their own destiny.

So, next time I have one of those "moments" on a bicycle, I'll just have to remember. It could be worse. It could be Metro Free City.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-09-19 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 03:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Other than the first shot is PGH, every(?) other shot in the trailer is Boston. What's it got to do with bicycles? Well, the world on a camera dolly does look a whole lot like the world on a bicycle. Plus there's ONE person riding a bicycle.

But it's got Ryan Reynolds (from American Aviation Gin above).

Anyhow, interesting to see Boston from a "video game" perspective. Could explain alot about people in cars around here. Also love the idea of the "NPC" taking control of their own destiny.

So, next time I have one of those "moments" on a bicycle, I'll just have to remember. It could be worse. It could be Metro Free City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2m-08cOAbc

-mr. bill
I didn't watch the trailer, but speaking of Boston, bicycles, and American Aviation Gin, per our recent discussion about the "Peleton Girl" in Boston:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...ercial-actressAviation Gin, [/quote]

"The liquor brand owned by actor Ryan Reynolds, mocked Peloton’s widely criticized holiday commercial on Friday with a little help from the same actress who appeared in the controversial ad.

"In an Aviation Gin commercial posted to Reynolds’ Twitter account, the actress sits at a bar with two friends in front of martini glasses. The friends console the actress, who offers a toast (“To new beginnings”) and proceeds to chug her entire glass in one sip.

'Exercise bike not included #AviationGin,' Reynolds wrote alongside the commercial. The ad itself is titled “The Gift That Doesn’t Give Back.” The name is also a riff on Peloton’s commercial, which is called “The Gift That Gives Back.”

PELOTON ACTOR SPEAKS OUT ABOUT CONTROVERSIAL ROLE

"The actress in Aviation Gin’s commercial is the same one from Peloton’s commercial, a source familiar with the matter confirmed to FOX Business.

"Peloton, a company known for its high-end exercise bikes, lost more than $1 billion in value this week as the market reacted to widespread criticism of its holiday commercial. In the Peloton ad, the actress chronicles a year of workouts after her husband bought her a Peloton bike for Christmas."
:

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-09-19 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 03:45 PM
rumrunn6

trapped inside with little else to do but sit on the couch
oh man, I really dislike that. maybe after getting out & playing, but not the whole day
Old 12-11-19, 11:19 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh man, I really dislike that. maybe after getting out & playing, but not the whole day
You both should take up knitting. I have no problem spending a day on the couch. I miss my bike though. The doctor said my collarbone is healing just fine and I don't need to go back. And more importantly, I don't have to wear that horrible brace anymore.

I wouldn't ride in this weather anyway.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 12-12-19, 09:27 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
You both should take up knitting. I have no problem spending a day on the couch. I miss my bike though. The doctor said my collarbone is healing just fine and I don't need to go back. And more importantly, I don't have to wear that horrible brace anymore.I wouldn't ride in this weather anyway.
LOL, great news! keep it up!
Old 12-14-19, 02:40 PM
Ghazmh

61.44 wet cold dark and foggy miles today. My Honey was covered in a fine veneer of famous Massachusetts road sand.

Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 12-15-19, 08:42 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
61.44 wet cold dark and foggy miles today. My Honey was covered in a fine veneer of famous Massachusetts road sand.
I hope she got a bath!!
Old 12-15-19, 10:49 AM
Ghazmh

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I hope she got a bath!!
in a manner of speaking, yes. Since the roads weren’t recently salted I just let everything dry out then gently wiped and swept about 3 pounds of sand with a few different sized soft brushes. I then used a firm bristled brush for the drivetrain followed by some fresh chain lube. I also pulled the tires to get the underside of the fenders. I lay a sheet of paper under the workstand to catch the wet, greasy sandy mess. It only took about 10 minutes to get Veronica ready for today’s Sunday ride. Which was 42 miles and thankfully only requires a light cleaning. In all I rode 103 miles this week, more specifically this weekend as I am winding down the year. 7337 so far for the year. I only need 163 to hit my goal of 7500. As long as we don’t have several major snow events I think I might make it. Then I’m taking all of January off from cycling, except running errands on my hybrid.
Old 12-15-19, 04:36 PM
rumrunn6

Very windy and cold today, anybody ride in that?
Old 12-15-19, 06:22 PM
Ghazmh

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Very windy and cold today, anybody ride in that?
42 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2935053822
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 12-16-19, 07:55 AM
mr_bill

Passing a Bumble (no bounce tests). In front of the Bumble a world famous jazz musician is singing a Christmas Carol:

On Mass Ave at Rindge waiting for the light:

Cambridge Common with a Deranged Easter Bunny:

Charles Street devoid of motor traffic but filled with people smiling, waving, and "filming" us with their smart phones:

The official group shot:

-mr. bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.